Login Create Account
Who Did It Best? You Be the Judge
Aaron0316
Here it is!! Sorry it's a little late.

Vandegrift 2013 - 94.775

Claudia Taylor Johnson 2014 - 93.95

FULL RECAP: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=11216A7CDDA72CA6!190&authkey=!AFyNjwQ5bqlWQqw&ithint=file%2cxlsx

Best Winds: Claudia Taylor Johnson
Best Percussion: Vandegrift
Best Music: Claudia Taylor Johnson

Best Colorguard: Claudia Taylor Johnson
Best Visual: Vandegrift

Best GE: Vandegrift

*** Round 4 Match Up ***

Cedar Ridge 2013 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_UokqIIhng

vs.

Reagan 2014 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z9_ym024yo

Judges:

Winds: Aaron0316
Percussion: Aaron0316
Music Ensemble: cjbuckley1997

Visual Performance: Aaron0316
Color guard: gcurrier3, liebling82
Visual Ensemble: gcurrier3, Chaptstick

GEM: liebling82
GEV: cjbuckley1997

Aaron Sickmeier, director of......

Dark Knights - (FAME, original founder)

Marching Elite - (ENCORE! original founder)

Dark Knights Guard

Equilibrium
gcurrier3
I can do CG and VE
cjbuckley1997
That 15.9 in Visual GE tho
Connor Buckley - Executive Director - White Star Org.

White Star - CLASS
White Star Cadets - ENCORE
Illumination - FLAG
Lithium Indoor - DRUMS founder

OAS AAS LLS
cjbuckley1997
I'll stick with GE Visual and add music ensemble, I'll have my scores in soon

White Star - CLASS
Illumination - FLAG

OAS AAS LLS
liebling82
lol yeah no kidding.. the score should have been higher even if they weren't better than vandegrift,, they were better than a 15.9.. i wasn't gonna mention it but maybe we should be a bit more fair or reasonable in our judging
Northern Lights - Drum Corps
Hollands Hope High School - Marching Band
Purple Power - Guard
Gasper Sticks - Drum Line
cjbuckley1997
Honestly maybe it was a typo, because on the number pad it's not too difficult to accidentally type a 5 instead of an 8 if one isn't paying attention. I've definitely done stuff like that myself, and an 18.9 is certainly more plausible

White Star - CLASS
Illumination - FLAG

OAS AAS LLS
theamazing1
Winds and visual perf
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Golden Goats Marching Band ENCORE BoD
Scorch Color guard
theamazing1
That was my score by the way. Sorry if you guys saw it unfair, I used a specific technique to the process of how I Judged it. I'd send a picture of how I recorded my notes, but FMA doesn't have that... Sorry guys
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Scorch Color guard
liebling82
if it's ok with everyone I'll do what I judged last week... guard and GEM
Purple Power - Guard
liebling82
no prob..it was a shocker, but heck it's just for fun. they still might get the wild card . if you remember , the highest scoring eliminated band competes at finals. i am interested in your judging criteria if you do't mind explaining
Purple Power - Guard
Chapstick
If needed, I'll do percussion, but I definitely want to stick with judging VE if you don't mind my judging :) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the judging criteria for that caption is how difficult the drill is and how well it's executed; thus, I judge how much they move and how well they move from one form to the next in addition to how difficult it is to move from form to form. Based on that, Claudia's show was a mess.
"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything." - Plato
cjbuckley1997
I judge GE Visual in a different way, as in the overall effect of their visual program, with more than just the drill. I'll have to rewatch the show, but I remember seeing CTJ with a lot of pop to it, and that's why I scored them higher

White Star - CLASS
Illumination - FLAG

OAS AAS LLS
Chapstick
Yes, that seems to be what you should be judging. Personally I don't like judging effect, because I don't know what my criteria should be.

On the other hand, I like judging the drill from a technical stand point. That's why I judge VE. I judge whether there is a lot of park and blow, whether it is difficult to move from form to form. I ask, how is their spacing, their lines? Are there dents in the forms? Are they in step? How fast are they marching? Is everyone halting together?

How does that differ from General Effect VIsual?

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything." - Plato
cjbuckley1997
I've always judged effect on a much less technical basis, with a little bit of subjectivity as well. Like I'm always looking for those wow moments, and what makes the show stand out. Like watching the color guard for example, the guard judge would watch the movement and how difficult it is and how clean and such, but I'm looking at say the silks and the movement as a whole, and and how that color and movement adds to the overall visual effect of the show. It's kinda difficult to explain honestly, but that's basically how I do it

White Star - CLASS
Illumination - FLAG

OAS AAS LLS
Chapstick
I believe, I get what you mean. It's all about crowd reaction, how well each section is contributing to the overall effect. Perhaps the guard isn't placed well on the field, and that becomes a distraction. If they are doing a Christmas show, you'd judge how well they portray their concept. How long do they sustain wow moments... etc Perhaps they pull off a very difficult move and it becomes a wow moment, or maybe, it's not so difficult but still effective. I might be able to judge GEV, but I'll stick with judging difficultly and execution. The criteria is much more specific :)
theamazing1
This is my system when judging ( I do believe that this is very hard-judging, but that's just who I am. I feel like I would judge hard in real life, so that's what I'm going to virtually)
With GE captions, especially visual, I look at the entire picture... Does this really fit with the theme and what this show is trying to express. I look at the specific sets, which instrument or flag/weapon should be where. Because if there was a beautiful solo in the ballad, shouldn't the guard members be there to back up the soloists and add to the overall feel of what the soloists are trying to express and what the rest of the band is doing. I also look for mistakes. Every mistake I see (that pertains to what the caption is) I take away .1-.5 points. These mistakes are like not being in step, having a bad diagonal, or not covering down with the person in front. Of course these points can be regained if they meet the other good criteria, and Claudia was just not able to do that. That's what I saw, I'll judges are different, you know
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Scorch Color guard
liebling82
hey i'm not knocking your judging style. For the most part it seems you get what a GEV judge should do. The only criticism I have is that it seems deliberately taking away points for technical mistakes like being out of step or having a crooked line is not what a GE judge does. Now if these technical issues affect the design of the show, perhaps their score shouldn't be so high but not so nit picky. That's more of what a V ensemble judge does. i think a GE judge looks for how effective everything is as a whole, which you stated that you do, because you're judging the visual design and how well it's portrayed. Save all the technicalities for the VE judge. That's just my opinion, though. maybe i'm totally wrong.
Purple Power - Guard
theamazing1
You aren't. You've got it spot on. I'll stay away from GE for a while
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Scorch Color guard
liebling82
well poop.. i certainly wasn't trying to discourage you from judging GE.
Purple Power - Guard
theamazing1
You didn't, but it's true.. My style of judging fits more under the performance, not the effect.
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Scorch Color guard