Login Create Account
FMA Drum Corps History - Season 32
cjbuckley1997
Throughout the history of FMA, there have been many great seasons, with amazing moments. Today, I will be spotlighting Season 32’s legendary battle between Nemesis and the Bluecoats.

At the beginning of Season 32, everything seemed just like a normal season. It was going to be a tight race, but nobody could have anticipated the back and forth that would ensue. Nemesis was following up a bounce-back Season 31 with a show based around Liszt’s Dante Symphony, while the Bluecoats were looking to bolster a 4th place finish the previous season with the first Division 1 title in corps history, with a show entitled “.._..”

The two corps met for the first time on the second night of the season. At the end of the night, Nemesis came out on top, 78.675 to the Bluecoats’ 78.525. Even with their opening loss, the Bluecoats won 5 of the 8 captions, but their combined loss by 1.775 in the GE captions brought them down. Despite only being .15 points apart, this would be the largest margin between the two corps of the entire season. After this contest, the two corps would not meet up again until the end of week 2. This time, it was much closer than before. Nemesis won by just .04 points, 87.79 to 87.75, even with the Bluecoats again winning the majority of the captions. Nemesis won two more head to head matchups in week 3, with an even smaller margin of .02 each time. By the time the two corps faced off at the annual Carolina Cavalcade, the margin in combined GE had shrunk by a full point for the Bluecoats, down to .775. Two days later, however, the script would flip.

On February 17th, the Monday of week 4, the Bluecoats would beat Nemesis for the first time of the season. In a huge swing of events, the Bluecoats scored 93.5 to Nemesis’ 93.46. Again, Nemesis had the superior GE, winning by .75, as well as winning Visual Ensemble by .105. But the Bluecoats won all of the other captions, 4 of the 5 by more than .15, and made up the difference. After handing their rivals their first loss of the season, the Bluecoats followed up their win with one more, defeating Nemesis on the 20th by .005 points in their last regular season matchup, setting up an epic weekend at FMA Championships.

On the first day of the FMA Championships, nobody in the stadium knew who the favorite was. The Bluecoats seemed to have the momentum, but Nemesis had the success and the pedigree. At the end of the night, the Bluecoats took prelims by .045, the largest margin since the end of January, while winning two captions, even with Nemesis winning three. But just when fans thought it couldn’t get any closer, it did. On semifinals night, the corps tied at 98.475. Across the captions, Nemesis and the Bluecoats finished within .075 in every single caption. Fans across the stadium were both shocked and amazed, that after the entire season, there was no separation between the two corps at the pinnacle of the activity.

Finals night in Season 32 was one of the most anticipated of all time. Even coming into championship weekend, before the tie, everyone knew that the winner would win by the slimmest of margins. But by the time semis were over, the hype and excitement were through the roof, and as the fans filled every seat in the stadium, they knew that they were about to witness history. As the 12 corps performed, there was building excitement and energy at every performance. Nemesis performed before the Bluecoats, based on their lower score at prelims, and the house almost came down. But after the Bluecoats performed, the applause was unimaginable. Fans knew they had just witnessed the best battle in FMA history, but nobody had even the slightest idea who was coming out on top.

As the scores were announced, the tension built. In such a season where it was so close at the top, it was only appropriate that the entire top 12 was within 4 points of each other. Lexington Legends, the 12th place corps, scored a 94.725. All the way up to the top, the scores were high. By 3rd place, the Carolina Royals scored 98.51, higher than the top two the previous night. By the time it was down to Nemesis and the Bluecoats, the tension could be cut by a knife. As the announcer read out the score for second place, 98.785, everyone was holding their breath. Second place was the Bluecoats, just short of their first championship. Nemesis fans in the stadium erupted, knowing that their corps had just won the 8th championship in corps history. The Bluecoats and their fans were in agony, knowing they had just come so close. As the announcer read off Nemesis as the Division 1 Champions, the score was 98.79, a mere .005 points ahead of the Bluecoats, the closest possible finish in FMA without it being tie.

In the end though, the Bluecoats went on to win 5 D1 titles in 7 seasons, and then set the record high drum corps score in Season 47 with a 99.835, and Nemesis has gone on to win 5 more titles since that season. Overall though, there will be nothing more memorable than the epic battle of Season 32.
Connor Buckley - Executive Director - White Star Org.

White Star - CLASS
White Star Cadets - ENCORE
Illumination - FLAG
Lithium Indoor - DRUMS founder

OAS AAS LLS
cjbuckley1997
This is my first ever write up, let me know what you think!

White Star - CLASS
Illumination - FLAG

OAS AAS LLS
Aaron0316
Cool idea and well written. I can't wait to see more of these write ups.
Aaron Sickmeier, director of......

Dark Knights - (FAME, original founder)

Marching Elite - (ENCORE! original founder)

Dark Knights Guard

Equilibrium
corndogshuffle
Great work! Now do one for a season where the Legends didn't suck. ;)
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
21x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-119
gcurrier
awesome write up--remember the season well where our friendly yet VERY competitive rivalry with Bluecoats were forever cemented! Truly both corps were champions that season. I doubt anyone will ever see another one like that...after our performance waiting for scores, I couldn't even talk to anyone other than a quick congratulations to the kids and staff for a great show and incredible season. It probably doesnt seem like much of a comeback looking at scores, but when your numbers start going the wrong way--its hard to keep everyone positive and focused! GREAT group of kids from both corps who never gave up!!!
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
cjbuckley1997
If any veterans have ideas for other topics, please give me suggestions! You all know the history better than me!

White Star - CLASS
Illumination - FLAG

OAS AAS LLS
alxmm98
This is really good. Cant wait to see more of these types of write ups
Alexander Morales

The Panthers Drum and Bugle Corps- CLASS
Miramar Marching Mauraders- HOPE
FMA Hall of Fame Committee Co-Founder
FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
cjbuckley1997
Now that I'm back I might as well do more of these, time to dig up some good stories...my hope is to have one out within like a week or so

White Star - CLASS
Illumination - FLAG

OAS AAS LLS
JoelKelley
Try some younger corps too, just like spotlighting all elements, some old corps that lasted short times but had immense potential?
H. Kelley
Black Knights D&BC | Director

Phantom Regiment D&BC '21 Contra
Casper Troopers D&BC '22 Bari | Euph
corndogshuffle
I like it!

You could always write about how the Lexington Legends became the Buffalo Bills by being the only corps in history to finish 2nd four seasons in a row lol.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
21x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-119