Login Create Account
Top 50 FMA Drum Corps Shows Ever: 50-40
alxmm98
Recently, I have been analyzing FMA history because hey, I have no life. All jokes aside, there is a plethora of great information on this site, and I thought it would be interesting to shed some light on the things that none of us really look at too often. This is why I've decided to compile a list of the top 50 greatest Drum Corps shows of all time. Keep in mind that this list is purely opinion, and there will always be debate as to where certain shows rank. This list only contains Division 1 shows that I feel stand out in FMA history. Many corps spanning different generations are on this list, so be prepared to be blown into the past everybody!

50. The Island (Nemesis S3)- Of course, the corps with the most titles in FMA history kicks off our list with a bang. The Island, the season 3 production that managed to claim first place at finals in Madison, Wisconsin, was FMA's first premier show since the old days. No disrespect is meant to Perception Drum and Bugle Corps and Sapphire Sound. Their shows were a great start to the new FMA's rise, however they are not often remembered by fans of the sport. Nemesis however, managed to put on a memorable performance, completely dominating all other D1 corps that season and capturing their first World Championship. The show was so good, that in season 43, it was revived and very nearly won Nemesis another World Title. The concept was quite simple. A man arrives at a mysterious island and discovers its heralding secrets, only to depart knowing little more than what he knew before. The concept captivated audiences back in season 3, the first time a winning show was able to do so in FMA.

49. Johan de Meji (Nemesis S4)- Right after their success in season 3, Nemesis got back to the drawing board and delivered a clean, classical performance with the music of Planet Earth by Dutch composer Johan de Meji. Visually, the show was unmatched. Many corps that season tried desperately to keep up with Nemesis' guard, but it was no use. The corps perfectly portrayed the beauty of Earth. Musically, the corps was above everyone else and blended well. Overall, fans will remember the beautiful colors on the almost tranquil musical performance that marked the assurance of an FMA dynasty.

48. Circadian Rhythms (Epic S6)- In what was another typical season in FMA, Nemesis won the World Championship with ease. However, unlike previous seasons the crowd did not enjoy the performance as much. On Solid Ground was a good show no doubt, but it wasn't really all that memorable of a show. Fans instead flocked to see Epic's masterpiece, Circadian Rhythms. The show was unique and was an experience unlike any other at the time. The corps used classical pieces to illustrate how the circadian rhythm of a human being worked, and how different people had different rhythms. It was definitely a different show, so different that the judges just could not give it a winning score. This show remains significant however, because it really changed the landscape of FMA in the long run. Corps were more open to putting weird and interesting show concepts on the field, and judges become more open to scoring them better. Nemesis may have won that season, but Epic had the more memorable performance.

47. Sybil: The Art of Insanity (Epic S7)- Once again Epic put on a wonderfully crafted show that was unique, and once again they were denied first place. Using the music of Dmitri Shostakovich as a medium, the corps told the story of the famous case of Sybil, the woman with multiple personalities. The music was really the key part of the show, as it truly represented what Sybil had to go through. Visually, the show was twisted and in no way conformed to what other corps were doing at that time. Epic deserves all the credit they can get for this awesome show.

46. The Lee of the Stone (Sapphire Vanguard S7)- This show was very straightforward in its approach. Most of the creativity had already been done by the folks who created the story of The Secrets of NIHM and its soundtrack. However, Sapphire Vanguard perfected all of the elements that made the film successful and put on a great performance in San Diego at finals. Although Epic and Blue Deviled Eggs had very interesting shows that season, they were no match for Sapphire Vanguard's instant classic.

45. La Fiesta Mexicana (Darkness S5)- The show that started it all. Before Darkness' instant classic in El Paso, Drum Corps in Division 1 wasn't that competitive. That changed when Darkness broke the 90 barrier, officially becoming the first corps in the new FMA to do so. After this event, all of D1 strived to be just as great, if not even better. The show itself was not a very memorable concept, just a clean show with very few mistakes and intense precision. The show is also notable for denying Nemesis its third World Championship, which it would get the next season. Although it has been many seasons now, and the corps has even rebranded, many Drum Corps finatics in West Texas still identify with La Fiesta Mexicana, and tribute shows are always done by the local high schools.

44. Chasing the Wind (Sapphire Vanguard S8)- Right after their World Championship winning show, Sapphire Vanguard did not hold any punches, (or in this case powerful contras) with their show, Chasing the Wind. Using the music of Samuel Barber and others, Vanguard truly had a classic performance at finals in Santa Clara, California. However, what many saw as a title winning show did not end up winning at all. In fact, the corps never really stood a chance that season. Ironically, Sapphire Vanguard seemed to be "chasing the wind" all season long, as they were never really able to catch up to Nemesis. The show is still considered some of Vanguard's finest work, but it is often overshadowed by another all time classic show on this list.

43. Sun and Moon (Nemesis S8)- After feeling discouraged about their season 6 victory being somewhat of a "mistake", Nemesis fell down to 7th place, an unfamiliar spot for the corps. Many felt like the days of Nemesis were numbered, and that a new FMA dynasty was about to form in Pasadena. However, Nemesis proved all the doubters wrong in season 8 by blowing their show completely out of the water. Out of 26 competitions, Nemesis did not lose any. The corps clearly wanted to prove that they were still a dominant force in FMA, and they succeeded in their quest. The music was powerful, the visuals were on point, and the judges were absolutely mesmerized by their performance.

42. Lonely Island (Blue Demons S12)- There have been many shocking moments in FMA history. Upsets have occurred, and controversy has been present. However, it was much more rare in the early seasons of FMA for new corps to rise to the top. The main corps were usually the ones always at the top. That is why when Blue Demons made their unbelievable run in season 12, it caught the entire Drum Corps community off guard. After yet another Nemesis title, nobody was paying attention to a corps that had received 11th and 5th place in consecutive seasons. Then, the pirates attacked. Jack Sparrow emerged. The entire show concept of Lonely Island captivated fans and judges alike, and it blew past whatever Nemesis had to offer. The corps fell into obscurity after that due to money issues, but everyone remembers their incredible run at finals in Dallas, Texas.

41. Independence Day (Regal Regiment S18)- Ah, Independence Day. The show that got audiences pumped every night. The concept that was unbeatable. Whenever the sounds of the End Titles pierced through the horns of the ever so famous Regal Regiment, crowds cheered for what seemed like an eternity. If there was a top fan favorite show of all time, this would be it. The show seemed unstoppable in season 18, and it should be ranked higher on this list due to its dominance and fan appeal. However, we all know why it isn't. A certain egg themed show took away the spotlight in an instant. However, this show is still a great one, and it should be remembered as such. I mean, there is nothing better than a full reenactment of President Thomas Whitmore's famous 4th of July speech, with trumpets blazing in the background, right?

40. Renaissance (Spirit of Atlantis S52)- In due time. maybe this show will rise on the list of all time great shows. Even though this is a relatively low ranking for such an amazing production, remember that there are so many other great shows that came before it. The show is so young that it couldn't rank as high as some others in my opinion, but that does not in any way take away from what it is, an instant classic. In the classic David vs Goliath story, even David had better odds than Spirit of winning. Fact of the matter is, Spirit of Atlantis kept FAME on the map, and is a crucial part of the league becoming a serious contender to CLASS in FMA. Everyone will remember this show for fearlessly taking on Carolina Royals and their show "=", and actually winning. The crowd in Indianapolis was in full support of the corps from the lost world, and that puts it among the greatest shows in FMA history.
Alexander Morales

The Panthers Drum and Bugle Corps- CLASS
Miramar Marching Mauraders- HOPE
FMA Hall of Fame Committee Co-Founder
FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
alxmm98
Note that the list isn't done yet, I really had to go to bed. Enjoy!
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
theamazing1
Holy cow! This is going to be VERY long when it's done. I'm excited to read more. I haven't been on FMA for very long so I'm not too familiar with how it was in the past, but this is an awesome way to learn!
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Golden Goats Marching Band ENCORE BoD
Scorch Color guard
RedEastMovement
Amazing stuff here, mate.
I'm not a man to outright copy others' work, but all the information here will be vital for my development of future show ideas. Thank you!
Invictus - CLASS
Der Reich - ENCORE (BoD)
Kanpeki - DRUMS
gcurrier
this is awesome as almost everything you do is Aaron! I am excited to read the rest and sure brought back a lot of memories here for us at Nemesis!

Staff still doesn't like to discuss season 6 and how, even with winning another title, you would have thought "On Solid Ground" was us playing the mickey mouse club song over an over--all the talk was about EPIC!! our old rival and friend who didn't beat us that year, but sure upended us! It had such an impact on the corps and staff that season 7 we crashed down to 7th place, a spot that was at that time VERY unfamiliar to us! It didn't take us long to get over it and rise back up the very next season, winning yet another title!

Our first title in season 3 of course will always remain special-even more since it was an original production I wrote while visiting my boyhood home on an island off the Maine coast. However, a few other seasons certainly stand out for us as well--some of those "easy wins" werent so easy in the moment and we had to fight tooth and nail LOL
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
corndogshuffle
Good work, keep it up. :)

Hope a few Lexington Legends shows made the cut, we have had a couple good ones through the years. :)
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
21x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-119
cire
Awesome.. Hope I make the list!
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Kiwidrummer
I'm sure Cire will be well represented. Good to see you're still alive.

Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
theamazing1
Well Cire just came back from the dead :'). Wasn't around in his time but still saw the influences he had on FMA. Welcome back, if you're coming back.
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Scorch Color guard
gcurrier
good or bad Cire had many influences LOL welcome back my friend--hope you stay for a bit
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
cire
Lol thanks. But no I probably won't be around much at least not the actual game. But you are all awesome so I'll try to at least stop by the forums more. I am excited though. Leaving Sunday for the second half of our tour at the columbians. I'm on visual staff. Definitely check us out if you get a chance!
theamazing1
Hey Columbians!! I'm going to the show in Tigard on Saturday! See you there!
Edit: oops, you're going to the second half.

Also, I live in Washington, and next summer I'm thinking about starting my drum corps career.. I'm thinking of either going for Columbians, Thunder, and maybe Cascades. Idk if I'm financially ready for world class yet lol.
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Scorch Color guard
cire
That's awesome! Definitely check out the Columbians and give your review.

Personally, I would recommend Columbians.. but if you want a full tour I don't know if Thunder does that, I'm assuming Cascades will.. although I've heard stories about those two corps I don't have any experience with them.

I will tell you that coming from a member at BD to member/staff at Senior Corps to staff at the Columbians... the Columbians is top notch. The members are SUPER friendly and nice and the staff is awesome. It's a real community/family that I honestly haven't seen or even heard about from other corps.. and I hear the same from other staff who were members or staff at other top 12 corps. So I honestly highly recommend you consider the corps next year. And this year at least, we have several BD alumni with lots of rings lol so staff experience wise it's a pretty rare combination for a newer group
alxmm98
Wow....i gave up on this cus there wasnt much of a response, but i was wrong! You guys really seem to like this so i will get on it right away. I need to finish this one then write the next ten shows. I already have a list. And Cire, I think you will LOVE where one of your shows ranks on this list lol.
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
corndogshuffle
The thing I remember about Blue Demons in Season 12 is that they called their shot. Director made a press release to tell us he would be winning the Gold Medal... and he delivered.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
scooter92011
Haha.... I thought about doing that this season, but then I was like nahhhh.... I'll wait until finals night at 8:01 if results allow.
**FMA** Hall of Famer*
cire
alx, looking forward to it!
corndogshuffle
I'm also excited to read about how many great shows Blue Deviled Eggs have performed. :)
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119