Login Create Account
Opinion on recycling music?
TheHuman
So, I just found out the musical selections for my bands show next season. It's

1.Parkour by Samuel Hazo
2.Dancer in the Dark by Björk (Ballad from our 2015 show)
3.Ride by Samuel Hazo

We kinda have had a rough past 2 years. Our shows haven't been like they normally are, they don't utilize the whole band and we didn't get that full sound we usually do. So our directors are trying to recreate that full sound. Samuel Hazo does that in his composition, and so did our 2015 ballad, so they are doing the same ballad again. It was an amazing ballad and show, and we have full rights until 2022 so we are using it again. Whats everyones opinion on recycling music? Granted, its been 4 years so no one that marched it will be left. But I feel like its a little cheap.

Also, I am super jealous I am a senior and dont get to march this super cool show smh. Heres a link to the show we played the ballad https://youtu.be/mQnZp2ueq-g We have 200 members.
TheHuman
Vano Highschool CG (Est. 65)
Opal HS Marching Knights(Est. 65)
Ferox (Est. 65)
Hartford Sound (Est. 66)
mceuph
I think it's fine and since no one who is currently in the band played it, it's new to them.
Continuum (Resigned)
Infinity
StampedeStetson
My band's drumline recycled much of their winter show from 2016 this year, but it was a tribute to one of our pit members who passed away due to cancer two summers ago, and that was the last show he performed in. They also added in a piece that he wrote himself.

For our summer show we're recycling several songs from the past, from 2012 previous. We're hosting WAMSB World Championships, and whenever we do that we have a tradition of doing a Western themed show, which limits our options but also helps us keep some traditions.

We're also playing Ride in our show as well!
Director of Stetson Marching Arts, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Calgary Stetson Showband (ENCORE BoD)
Canada Corps (CLASS BoD)
Alberta X Winterguard (LEGS BoD)
Maple Leaf Percussion (DLTG BoD)