Login Create Account
FMA Rework
LongSchlongJimmyJohn
Hello all, this will be the official thread for proposing changes to the game. Drop any and all suggestions in this thread or on the google doc linked below. Feel free to discuss anything you see and don't be afraid to voice your opinion. The goal is for us as a community to reach a consensus on some of these issues and draft a clear and concise plan to fix said issues.

Link to the doc: http://docs.google.com/document/d/1pZLKcALD_vVhH0voJHKXmUTE4UG0eiS3sZUGUCEWoCo/edit?usp=sharing

---
Jimmy John
FMA Hall of Fame Member
Director of Osaka Bay Performing Arts
Kanpeki-sa (DCL)
Osaka Bay Outdoor Performance Ensemble (WCPA)
Hamachi (LGCG)
Wagyu Beats (GDF)
LongSchlongJimmyJohn
The first step in writing the proposal would be to draft out the current structure of the game. Then from there we can isolate some issues or aspects of the game and discuss ways to improve them. I'll be working on that in the next few days but if anyone is interested in helping out shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll add you as an editor for the doc.

I would really like some input from veteran players, especially ones who've been around since the beginning or aren't as active anymore. I've only been around for a year so I wouldn't call myself an expert at the game. To veteran/inactive players lurking around: what are some things you like about FMA and should not be changed? What are some new things that you would like to be added?

---
Jimmy John
FMA Hall of Fame Member
Kanpeki-sa (DCL)
Hamachi (LGCG)
Wagyu Beats (GDF)
lemon
I'll start: wish we could @ people because I'm sure ChrisRohn would have some good input, lol
Lemony fresh!
EchoSpark
I think you should not reward placements by a lot, otherwise you could lock groups in to placements. I also think a combined finals would be cool, but you should still have finals for each divison, then send them to a combined semis and finals.

Drills/ props - I think this is just too separate from what fma is. The game is ultimatly meant to be a stats style game and if we add too many visuals it will turn it into a vastly different game, and I dont think thatll do well for the game.

WGI winds - I think this could be a cool idea if implemented properly.
Fix guard scoring - I think guard scoring is way too broken as of now, dont know how to fix it but we defo need to find an asnwer.

Scoring overll stuff
Ticking system- dont like this idea, adds too much complexity to the game and really kind of doesnt make sense for an actual game mechanic.
Judge variability - I think this is really interesting, but only if there are regionals every week for groups to be able to accuratly track their progress so they dont go into finals thinking "yeah dude im doing so good" when in actuality theyre 4 points lower than the judge placed them at. So i think weekly regionals would be a good solution to this.

Graphics overall
Unifrom creator, drill, props etc- I think these dont really fit in too well for the site
milestone badges- I think this is a great idea, maybe like 5 seasons, 10seasons, etc badges
trophy case- I like this idea, I think it should fit well with it as a list in the spot the current trophy box is
director profile page- wait dont we have these already? or do you mean in a different way?
Legacy DBC
wew3987
I sent you a PM Jimmy, don't know if you got it.

Anyway, I agree with everything that's been said, but there does need to be a team of mods/contributors/admins for the site. Alex can't do it by himself, I've personally seen that first hand.

I do have a basic coding understanding but can learn quick if I have a guide to go by.

I agree with the bringing back of Regionals, it adds a flare that we haven't seen in a while.

-Wayne
wew3987
One thing I would also add is have an increased social presence.

An active Facebook page as well as communicating on Discord is a plus. We already have a discord server, let's take advantage of that.
mrmanny620
I added my own two cents suggestion in there. If I come up with more I'll add it.
Sound of the Times Drum Corp (Re-Est. 82)

Member of DTG
JMike18
I think overall, I'd like to see this entire game get a makeover. Its been over 10 years since this game started and while it may have gotten some changes, It'd be great to see a massive new look for this game which I think that will draw in some more players in the future.
Director of:
- Lumberton HS MRB
- Lumberton HS World Guard
- Lumberton HS Winterline
- Spirit of the Raiders
Igloo
EchoSpark im gonna have to disagree with the wind groups having 4 groups is already a bit too much already, im not sure combining finals would be good

WEW3987 The facebook page sounds good.
Wakasagihime21
Happy to see stuff like this going on, sounds like a revival for FMA!
Director - Petaling Jaya Sound (DCL)
Director - Petaling Jaya Irama (LGDL)
- All-time Drumline Div. 3 RANK #7
Occasional Volunteer - Couchmen
IronDominion
Could anyone send a link to the discord?
Round Rock ELITE
Mercenaries
Westwood HS Warrior Band
Warrior Percussion
lemon
https://discord.gg/ggN4QBNm
Lemony fresh!
bando
Change the seasons toggle in both Schedule and Scores to some kind of drop down so its not massive.

Change certain trophies in the trophy case to be stacked. (especially things for regular season events since they can get cluttered - edit: I see this in the doc already)

Maybe a sort of decay effect that would decrease either staff levels or influence every season a group doesn't compete?

Add some other stats to the groups that would effect overall performance? Something like group motivation/morale you would need to spend some energy on in the rehearsal menu. Not just another thing below influence/fundraising.

Temporary bonuses. Hire a clinician and a certain stat goes up one time.

Add customized staff names that would appear in the ensemble profile. Just something like the ability to name staff members would be a nice touch.

Alternate Indoor and Outdoor Seasons. You could have it set that the WGI Winds group would use the stats of the marching band, but indoor specific rehearsal options. The only downside is that Drum Corps wouldn't be available every season - but it could work.

EDIT: Looking at the doc now... I like the idea of uniform creator - but I would rather see a collaboration between FMA and Micromarching that would allow you to iframe an MML show rather than attempt a competitor.

Not a fan of the tick system - and I don't know that it would work well with the stat based method of FMA.

Budget system would be neat.

I think this is already FMA 2.0 (or even 3.0 since it used to be just fanasty marching band right?)
Founder of the IIEA

Eagle Regiment | Night Area HS Performing Ensembles
LongSchlongJimmyJohn
Sweet I added your suggestions to the doc. And yeah technically FMB was 1.0 so the proposed rework would be version 3.0
Jimmy John
FMA Hall of Fame Member
Kanpeki-sa (DCL)
Hamachi (LGCG)
Wagyu Beats (GDF)
ChrisRohn
At some point in time long ago I made a huge post on how I thought the game should be reworked. If you find it feel free to point it out here.

Detroit Parks & Recreation Department