Login Create Account
College Marching Band
bando
How many of you are doing it? What instrument? Where? What kind is it (drum corps styled/show style)

I'm going to hopefully (I think I will, but you never know with auditions) be playing for the IUP marching band on clarinet this fall. IUP is a drum corps styled band.
Founder of the IIEA

Eagle Regiment | Night Area HS Performing Ensembles
cire
I went to CSU Fresno for a bit.. definitely drum corps style.. but not super competitive. Lots of BD, SCV, and VK members when I was there
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Ballz2daWall
University of Tennessee. I'm on sax and it's very traditional.
mellohero
Former member of Ohio's Pride, the University of Akron Marching Band. I played the mellophone, and we mixed styles, with a traditional pregame show and five or six simplified corps-style halftime shows per season. Had a few Glassmen members there, and one or two from the Bluecoats.
rocketfan86
Played for the Spirit of Northwestern Demon Marching Band for Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, LA for 2 years on trumpet. Then I had to quit to focus more on my major.

We had some members that were part of the Cavaliers, Troopers, Capital Regiment and others i probably can't remember.
Original Member of the Mid-West Combine (defunct)
StarGazer
I marched clarinet one year and mello another with the University of Louisville's Red Rage Marching Band. Pregame is a traditional style to start out with and has corps style mixed in. Halftime shows are basic corps style with lots of holds and very few sets.

We had a Cavalier and a couple of Bluecoats march.
They call me Sarge
Exavier
In August, I'll be heading back to the University of Toledo, where I will be marching in the Rocket Marching Band for the second year. I play Baritone, and we use Corps style for both pre-game and half time. I know we have members who were (are?) in Glassmen, Capital Regiment, and the Madison Scouts.
Jhawk
I marched at Missouri state 2005-2007 we had a good bit of Madison, along with the occasional Cavies and Phantom.

Our band was very much show style. None of that high stepping though. Our real claim to fame though was our Winter Guards The Pride of Missouri State and National Avenue. They were both Finalists quite a bit in WGI.
Ivory Brigade
Andy
I play Trumpet with the Ashland University Marching Band. We are very corps style. We aren't competitive at all.
Board of Directors: DCA

Founder of MBoA
TrumpetVinny
Trumpet in the UCLA Solid Gold Sound Bruin Marching Band. We do corps style. Our director was the guy who did 89 Vanguard's music and he's stuck around corps since them until like the past couple years. Prolly why his expectations are so freaking high.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
formu1fan
MY college Doesn't have a marching band (or a football team) but we attempt a marching band every once in a while, on the Basketball court.

Hey Trumpet Vinny, I know a lot of people in the UCLA band, you know James in your section? Or Fonsy in the tuba section? If you see Fonsy anytime soon, tell him Castro says Hi.
TrumpetVinny
Yeah! I know both. Don't know Fonsy that well though.
TheDeadPenguin
Trumpet with the Penn State Marching Blue Band. We do a show band pregame, all high step, and we do corps-style halftime. The shows aren't that hard, lots of holds and 8 to 5's (then again, we learn a new show every week so they can't be too hard). I would much rather have one show and work toward perfecting it like in Drum Corps though.

I know we've got a few people from Cadets, Bucs, and one each from Cadets2 (me) and Madison Scouts. Maybe a few others that I don't know.
Andy
I'm with you TheDeadPenguin, we work on a different show a week, I'd much rather do what you suggested, my High School did it like that, and I wish we would to.
Board of Directors: DCA

Founder of MBoA
formu1fan
I had a week in September two years ago where I observed both ASU and U of A's marching bands in rehearsal and such. ASU did the new show a week, while U of A did one show the whole season. I preferred the one show routine, as the show can be more challenging and can be cleaned as the season went on. U of A's show was more appealing to me.
TrumpetVinny
We technically do a new show every home game pretty much, but we only have two real shows every year.I prefer changing it cause the crowd gets bored so easily. We're catering to drunk college football fans. Play music they like, do it well, play the fight song. Get off the field.