Login Create Account
Show influence
cgeuph
Would there be a possible way to work gaining influence into placing well or winning shows? Something like the top groups in each class gaining influence ex- 3rd place gets 10, 2nd gets 25, and 1st gets 50, something that would give a bonus to groups that go out there day after day clawing for every point they can get. It would even work to get better rewards for the more groups competiting per class, because face it seeing a group come from the woodwork and jump over 10 other ones would be very impressive in the real world and create one heck of a following so why not try to implement it into our wonderful system?
Breathe, Play, March.
Southern Alamance Band 05-08
Carolina Gold Drum & Bugle Corps-
Contra 08/09
Euph '10
Baritone Section Leader '11
marimbaman89
I just had the same thought. Shouldn't it make more sense for a group that wins a show to gain higher influence than a group that finishes far behind? Especially at a larger show? That way, groups that "take seasons off" and use them just to fundraise or gain influence will be penalized and groups will be rewarded for competing hard every season.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame
Corps: 2 D1 gold medals
Band: 2 D1 gold medals
Guard: 10 straight D1 titles (FMA record)
Drumline: 3 D1 gold medals

First group to ever score a 100!
cire
Yes, but at the same time you might/will get to a situation where "the strong only get stronger" and will get to a point where the lower groups will never get a chance to be competitive in certain aspects of the game
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Alex
 -infinity
You should be receiving a small amount of influence when performing in regular season shows. That's the incentive to not take a season off - whether or not it works is another question. I've sort of been against giving extra influence to groups that place high in normal shows because of the things already talked about here. People that are winning are usually doing so for a reason (more time to play, more time to experiment with rehearsals, etc.) so I don't want to give them another bonus on top of that.
BleedBlue
Alex I really think the entire influence thing needs to be rethought. Cause its becoming whoever had been here longest and has taken a few seasons to run influence up generally wins. While it should be whoever wins shows and places well gets rewarded. We've discussed this about audience members coming to watch in a thread. But things need to be changed to how much you play this edits your auditioning bonus, not how much you HAVN'T played and just ran your automatically .the audotionbonises is what determines who is able to compete. time spent playing doesn't account for as much I don't believe. but it may not be as bad as I think.
DC: Regimental Blue
MB: Edgar Allen Diddle High School
CG: Legacy
DL: Onyx Reign
gmbande94
Well lately as it has been it is continually getting harder to get to the top. In real life some years bands just have good shows and some years they don't. I wish there was a way to make it more realistic in that sense. Maybe theres a way to have more a design process? I don't know. It would be difficult but I feel there should be a change somehow because it's just becoming the same thing. The top ones win season after season and we all struggle to try to get there.
RWB "It's all for Love L-O-V-E" - Michael Jackson
Alex
 -infinity
There will always be a correlation with influence and winning...but its not the sole determiner. Just looking at Drum Corps, the 2nd highest influence overall has been in the 20th-40th place range for as many seasons as I cared to look back.
cire
Agreed. Noone is going to make the 3 or even 10 their first season out (at least not since season 1 or 2).. pretty much everyone you see in the top ranks have slowly worked their way up for several seasons.. and there are new faces that make finals every season.. remember.. yet, the top groups do get better each season.. however everyone can only max out at 100.. so even if X number of groups are already scoring in the 90s, there is NOTHING to stop you or anyone else from eventually getting into the 90s - as long as you have proper reheasing and strategy
daspyda
I honestly don't think influence effects score all that much. all my groups have over 100,000 influence and I'm struggling to even get them to be a Semifinalist. I think you shouldn't worry about getting the highest amount influence. It's been said a few times already, you need to experiment with practice, playing more, and finding that balance of works best for you. but I can tell you just going for the extremes( like having the most influence) doesn't really get you anywhere. it's like having the best show music ever with the best staff ever, but you never practice so you don't do well
-Pioneer Drum & Bugle Corps- 2012 Tenors
-Twin Cities Area Independent -2010 bass
-Sun Devils Drum & Bugle Corps 08,09 Bass
cire
I don't think it affects the score directly.. but indirectly it can.