Login Create Account
Marching advice?
cire
It might be too late for this season (or maybe not?) but if you are planning on marching, I will be willing to help by critiquing videos that you upload of you doing different marching drills/exercises.

I marched 4 years at Blue Devils, was on visual staff at SoCal Dream (DCA) and taught marching at 2 high schools in Hawaii and 2 in San Diego.

If you plan on marching next year, now is the perfect time to start getting ready! If you have auditions coming up, I can give you some pointers to help make you stand out (in a good way)
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
corndogshuffle
Some advice from me... if you really want to do it (and have the means), then go for it. You don't want to end up realizing how much you regret never having auditioned after you age out.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120
hostrauser
Cire, which two in San Diego? I currently live in Poway, part of the hotspot of the San Diego bands.

(LOL, I see you marched 98 Blue Devils. I tried out with BD that year but was an early cut because I can't march for beans. And we play the same instrument. Wild.)
FMA v1: 9 Golds, 12 Silvers, 8 Bronzes
FMA v2: See profile
cire
Nice. Too bad you didn't make it! I taught at Mt Carmel and Montgomery. I went to Poway once to meet up with the staff there but it was too long long of a drive for me.. funny though, the other two schools I taught at in Hawaii started with M as well lol
hostrauser
Eh, musically I was prepared, marching-wise I had no idea what I was getting into. My high school (in NorCal) was primarily a parade band, so my skills were minimal and my talent at it even less.
cire
Which high school? I'm from norcal.. marching is actually the hardest part for auditions (contrary to belief.. BD DOES march lol) I've seen some amazing players not get in because of their marching. One of the guys I taught/marched with at SoCal Dream went to audition for his age out and was put on marching probation and never went back. The dude had a triple C - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u97hWDWH-8 (the soloist)

Speaking of NorCal bands... it always surprised me at how bad De La Salle's marching band was compared to their football teams. lol
hostrauser
I went to the "other" Foothill HS in Sacramento (not the big band in Pleasanton). We were a pretty good parade band back in the mid-to-late 90s, and even had a few decent field show seasons. My junior year was our first field show in a decade, though, so my two years of field show experience were pretty simple.

De La Salle has some decent concert ensembles, but yeah, their marching band was never very good. Do they still populate their color guard with girls from Carondelet HS?
cire
Most likely.. I'm pretty sure their band has Carondelet girls in it too.