Login Create Account
Automatic Rehearsal
hostrauser
(From the other thread...)

I agree with the concept that the more active players should be rewarded, but the system as it is right now literally has NO room for error. I mean, if you miss logging on ONE DAY in a five- to six-week stretch you have no chance to win. That's ruthlessly extreme.

The system already has options where it will automatically spend energy on fundraising or influence... how much coding would be required to allow the system to "automatically" rehearse for you? It could be very simple.

Here's my idea: a rehearsal drop-down menu that allows you to choose one option for the system to "Rehearse" when you aren't logged on.

For example, drum corps and marching band would give you seven options:
Fundamentals - Winds
Fundamentals - Percussion
Fundamentals - Color Guard
Show Rehearsal - Winds
Show Rehearsal - Percussion
Show Rehearsal - Color Guard
Show Rehearsal - Ensemble

Each of these would be coded to tie to just one (preferably balanced) rehearsal option. For example, "Show Rehearsal - Ensemble" would tie to "Music & Visual Rehearsal (115 energy)." Whichever one you select, the game would automatically rehearse for you while you were away as soon as your ensemble had enough energy.

Since it's only focusing on ONE option, your caption ratings could get very imbalanced. Thus, it would still be up to the player to come back and rehearse the other options to catch up. But at least the energy wouldn't be going to waste, and you could miss a weekend for a family trip or a funeral without having your entire season blown to pieces. As a penalty, since the game is spending your energy as fast as it accumulates, when you came back to the game and shut off the automatic rehearsal, you'd more or less be at zero energy and have to wait three or four hours for it to build back up for your manual rehearsals.

There's my rough idea. It might not work, it probably can be improved upon, but there it is.
FMA v1: 9 Golds, 12 Silvers, 8 Bronzes
FMA v2: See profile
marimbaman89
I could be wrong about this, but it's my personal theory so far as of having played this game for a season and a half now that literally the most important thing by far is not submitting constantly, not necessarily to have totally balanced stats. Even if it was, you could just have a rotation of automatic rehearsals that would balance your stats out. I feel like there should be some kind of cap as to how much you are able to automatically rehearse. I agree that there should be a way to avoid what is basically a ruthless penalty for having to miss even a little bit of rehearsal but I don't think it should go too far the other way because this would almost eliminate the need to log on entirely.

In other words, since the season is 5 weeks and really all that matters is championships, even if balance were super important, I could just divide up the amount of time it would take to get even stats everywhere and switch my automatic rehearsal at just the appropriate time for everything to balance out. This would basically eliminate the need to go on at all.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame
Corps: 2 D1 gold medals
Band: 2 D1 gold medals
Guard: 10 straight D1 titles (FMA record)
Drumline: 3 D1 gold medals

First group to ever score a 100!
mceuph
That's the reason I don't play anymore. I was always in Div. I and having to log on every 4 hours to be competitive just for finals was tedious. If something like this was implemented I might come back.
Continuum (Resigned)
Infinity
bando
McEuph:
http://www.fantasymarchingarts.com/forums/viewtopic/1500/2#here

I would check out that topic.
Founder of the IIEA

Eagle Regiment | Night Area HS Performing Ensembles
BleedBlue
If its automatic that would defeat so many purposes in this game. Then youd only have to play few times a year. I mean it doesn't take long to rehearse and any other game you play requires you actually putting a lot of tine into it to be good. I mean one minute every four hours is not a lot to be a national champion compared to other games. Also it would defeat the purpose of fundraising and things. That's your automatic. If your not going to be on that's designed for you to do automatically. If any thing in this game needs to be altered that's influence as I have stated before. Ive been kinda slow this season cause theres well experienced players in ky division that simply just started out way higher than me just cause they've been here longer when we get to seasons like 30 this game will not become new member friendly at all.
DC: Regimental Blue
MB: Edgar Allen Diddle High School
CG: Legacy
DL: Onyx Reign
cire
Agreed. What would be the point of playing if everything was automatic?
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
mceuph
@bando

I have even not rehearsed for the entire pre-season and still made Div. 1. I either destroy in Div 2 or am scratching and clawing to make finals in Div 1.

If not set automatic rehearsals. It would be nice if you could set preset rehearsal actions where you hit a button, and deciding on which actions you choose it does all of them at once. Two or three presets would be nice to apply to different focuses. It just gets tedious having to do the same thing over and over again every day.
Continuum (Resigned)
Infinity
hostrauser
Did anyone even read the part where I said the automatic rehearsal would only rehearse one caption? No?

Nevermind.
TrumpetVinny
I would just set it GE and Ens heavy for like half the season, and then just make it caption heavy for chunks of the rest of the season. I do not think it would work well. It would balance people out because I think most would do as I would, but I do not think that's what we want.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
cire
"It just gets tedious having to do the same thing over and over again every day."

That is called practice son. It is what people do when they want to excel in something.
hostrauser
Sure, if you're developing a skill, which this is not.
cire
Why should "we" get rewarded for not doing anything? It's just a game.. but even games need some kind of participation and involvement to progress in it
mceuph
"That is called practice son. It is what people do when they want to excel in something."

Actually, in a game on the internet, it's called "grinding"
Continuum (Resigned)
Infinity
hostrauser
"But even games need some kind of participation and involvement to progress in it "

Some participation, yes. Constant? No.

Why should "we" be penalized for taking a day off to go to a funeral or family obligation?
cire
It's just a game.. but consider this.. if you skip class before a final, or dont go to practice before a major competition.. your performance/scores might be affected. Obviously most peoples priorities in life will not be FMA.. but EVERYONE has other things going on.. so yes, it does suck at times when you can't get on enough times a day, but think about it.. that same thing happens to even the "top" players.. if the cap is raised, it may be easier for people to play and be more competitive.. but at the same time it's only going to make things easier for the "top" groups to stay on top.. you are playing with a double edged sword