Login Create Account
The Holy Regiment Sparked Up!
SaxophoneMan
The Holy Regiment is proud to present their season 19 show entitled: Defiant Heart! We are proud to announce that we will be peforming a show that the Phantom Regiment themselves performed many, many years ago. We plan on taking the show to another level, and have the crowd jumping out of their seats cheering us on! The Holy Regiment has and always will strive for success, and we feel that we will have the opportunity to shine on top next season. Wish us luck!
Member of CLASS; Member of ENCORE; Member of PERC
Aaron0316
Good luck! :) Phantom 1996 is one of my all time favorite drum corps shows. I had the opportunity to see it live, and I had goosebumps during the entire show. 1996 was a great year for DCI :) - minus the first tie :)) oh well.. I liked the BD show very much too; it just wasn't Phantom ;)
Aaron Sickmeier, director of......

Dark Knights - (FAME, original founder)

Marching Elite - (ENCORE! original founder)

Dark Knights Guard

Equilibrium
SaxophoneMan
Thanks, and my group is extremely excited to perform such an amazing show!
Member of CLASS; Member of ENCORE; Member of PERC
cire
BD should have won without a tie.. in fact, if any of DCIs tie breaker systems have been in place in 96, BD would have won...

just sayin :)
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Olmstead90
That was before they mic their soloists, so I'd agree with you about back then. ;)
Douglas Olmstead, Druids Drum & Bugle Corps Executive Director
hostrauser
Uh, what tiebreakers are you using, Cire? The first two tiebreakers that I can remember were ordinal placement of the subcaptions (another tie: both Phantom and BD had ordinal scores of 13) and then GE (Phantom swept GE).

Nah, Phantom's Musical Effect and Musical Ensemble scores should have been even higher than they were, and Phantom should have won outright. Just like Vanguard should have won outright in 1999.

Then again, BD should have won outright in 1995 and 2004, two years they were massively screwed out of a title.
FMA v1: 9 Golds, 12 Silvers, 8 Bronzes
FMA v2: See profile
Aaron0316
I agree with you, hostrauser. Phantom was awesome in 1996. However, you claim BD should have won in 1995 and 2004? No way! BD's visual show was terrible in '95 compared to the Cadets and Cavaliers; hence, BD was 3rd in '95. Although I did enjoy BD's musical show both years, they didn't have the total package to win the titles, especially '95. Cavaliers deserved both titles.

I went to the 1999 finals. I have to say that the tie in '99 is the only one that I agree with. Both shows rocked the house (For the sake of Vanguard not having a title in 10 years, perhaps I was leaning towards Vanguard a bit more) I would have been happy either way, because they were both clearly champions.
Aaron Sickmeier, director of......

Dark Knights - (FAME, original founder)

Marching Elite - (ENCORE! original founder)

Dark Knights Guard

Equilibrium
cire
I will say this about 99.. it SUCKED hearing the crowd chant SCV. We (the members in BD) felt like the crowd slapping us in the face and saying F U. but it's all good. If BD is going to tie with anyone, we would rather tie with SCV than anyone else.
hostrauser
Aaron: 1995 BD was the best show on the field musically AND visually (they won visual performance with 9.9). Cavaliers show was boring as paste and terribly performed musically. BD had been undefeated all of 1994 and 1995, and I still see no justification for dropping them Finals week.

1999, I was there at Camp Randall, too. BD was cleaner, but SCV had 1000x more energy and effect.To use Rondinaro's cliche, the place really was electric during SCV's show. To this day, SCV at 1999 Finals is the best drum corps show I've ever seen live.

Sorry Cire, even though I had tried out for BD the year before, I was one chanting "SCV" in 99.
FMA v1: 9 Golds, 12 Silvers, 8 Bronzes
FMA v2: See profile
cire
Glad you got cut then host! lol If you made it, you would have marched with me!

I will definitely admit though, waiting to go on outside the stadium while SCV was performing.. it was scary how much energy they were putting off that field. it was pretty insane!

Too bad you didn't get to witness our very first show of the year in 99... the "lights out" show.. that was INSANE.
mceuph
Scott told us about that show. ;)
Continuum (Resigned)
Infinity
hos2rauser
Yeah, I've seen the video of that show in the dark, pretty awesome.

Oh, and Cire: not only would we have marched together, we would have been in the SAME SECTION. Yep, I play baritone/euphonium, too.

I was pretty good, too... musically, at least. I was a visual train wreck, though. There are pregnant ducks with better marching technique than me. LOL. One of the BD Visual staffers who was from Live Oak HS's staff (it wasn't Mike Rubino) at that time pulled me aside and gave me what is perhaps the calmest, politest "OMG YOU'RE TERRIBLE" speech in the history of drum corps. LOL.

I can laugh about it now. I do regret never being able to march DCI. Might try out for SoCal Dream in the future if (a) I can find the time to start playing/practicing again in my schedule, and (b) can work out the scheduling with my (work) boss and (home) boss (wife). Heh.
hos2rauser
And hey, I finally effed up and posted from my 2nd account. Bound to happen.
cire
Nice.. you should definitely check out Dream if you can. I taught there for 2 years.. good group, and DCA in a lot of ways is a lot better than DCI!

Don't feel too bad about marching.. that's actually the hardest part about getting into BD.. they turn down a LOT of extremely talented players because they can't handle the visual/marching part of it. They've even cut a returning trumpet screamer because he gained so much weight in the off season (BD doesn't require returning members to re-audition like most corps do). But yeah.. we had a guy from Dream audition his age out year and he made the brass staff drop their jaws and drool from his playing.. (he could hit triple Cs and in Dream he even sightread the solo to Green Hornet perfectly) but he was a bigger guy and was put on marching probation and decided to not continue with it.

At BD 98% of your audition is on marching and visual and the only time you actually play is your actual individual music audition (and warming up for it).. compared to say Cadets where it's backwards.. you do almost all music and barely any marching or visual.