Login Create Account
Guard Scoring
cire
I vote to just lower Silver Falcons score... but maybe that's just me :)
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Jhawk
To be fair maybe after 20 seasons the algorithms need to be adjusted. That or it needs a new element added. Maybe adding a new category to be scored in will spark new strategy for the guards.
Ivory Brigade
marimbaman89
If you vote to lower my score then I vote to raise my marching band score by the same amount :P

Something definitely needs to be done. Whether it's just changing the algorithm or lopping points off or something. There is no other circuit in real life or anywhere else where so many groups score this high and perfect scores are achieved.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame
Corps: 2 D1 gold medals
Band: 2 D1 gold medals
Guard: 10 straight D1 titles (FMA record)
Drumline: 3 D1 gold medals

First group to ever score a 100!
IMcomJosh
*Cough* USBands previously known as USSBA *Cough* Oops ;) X-P
Regal Regiment (CLASS) 4XBronze 3XSilver 4XGold
Marching Lords (UNSP) 4XBronze 5XSilver 5XGold
Nobles of Grace (UNSP) 4X Bronze 7XSilver 1X Gold
Drumming Imperials (UNSP) 2X Bronze 5X Silver 7XGold
marimbaman89
As high as USBands scores I can't even recall them scoring bands that high!
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

cire
or maybe Silver Falcons should just stop paying off the judges with cash and booze :)
marimbaman89
Nah that's not it at all! My guard was disappointed that they weren't included in your top 5 guards show from last season...they really used that as motivation! Now on the other hand my drumline might need to start the money and booze tactic, lol.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

cire
LOL maybe next time ;)
IMcomJosh
I realize that this is all part of the same coding formula but could the guard just go back to 400 energy points? That could definitely help I think.
marimbaman89
Perhaps we could just make each action cost more energy. I also think going back to 400 could work.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

cire
wait.. you mean... no.. 400? I'm pretty sure someone was very much against raising it from 400.. who was that? oh.. now I remember :)
marimbaman89
Lol if you're referring to me I went back and forth a lot on the 400 thing...personally, having been around for the original FMB, I very much liked that way to play the game as opposed to this way (focus rehearsals that you only had to submit once per day). I think 400 is better than 600 because it allows more people who haven't been around for a long time to be competitive (especially in Div I) however I'm not a fan of this whole system in general. BUT I do have to admit that I personally benefit more from these energy rehearsals, it makes it way easier to sustain success and if you do what you have to do then you can stay successful. But either way we need to do SOMETHING to lower the guard scores and at this point I don't care what we do, it just needs to be done.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

cire
Yup I agree. The 600 change made it easier to max out points each day.. which helps the "lower" groups.. however it also helps the higher groups.. it's a double edge sword.

He should change it so that Div 3 gets 600, Div 2 gets 500 and Div 1 gets 400

and if you pay for rehearsals at any point in the season, you get knocked down 100 possible points (500,400,300)
marimbaman89
I like that idea, if you want to be competitive in Div I you should have to play often, and it should knock down scoring somewhat. Again though, I think the main thing is that something needs to be done about guard scoring...so whatever it is, I'm probably ok with.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

IMcomJosh
The other classes aren't facing the problem of maxing out on score yet. But energy costs going up could definitely alleviate some issues. I just othn't want it to switch too much in the other groups right now simply because I have no idea how you guys are able to get both of your GE scores so high. I'm only able to keep the one (Mus GE) competitive in DC and MB because I love to be able to entertain the crowds and yet I always seem to be able to come out on top in visual at the end of the season too. But that is for a different discussion as well lol. I do think that is the easiest solution for Alex to implement though is a rehearsal energy cost rise to CG.
marimbaman89
I usually try to keep my captions fairly balanced...I'm actually not sure how my visual GE wound up being as high as it did last year in corps and marching band, but obviously I don't have the statistics to check anymore now that it's a new season.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

Stradivarius
Reducing the energy cost isn't going to help. It's the mechanics of the game itself. I mean you have nearly limitless opportunities to increase your score. It has nothing to do with energy. If you spend 100 bucks and just buy a bunch of game money you can upgrade you staff to ungodly levels. In theory you could start out with a 100 with enough staff. I don't know how to fix it and there is always going to be this problem. Even with the reduced energy people will get impossible 100s. It's inevitable. What we possible need is the change to the recruitment. Make recruitment at the beginning of the season more valuable. And it can't be based on influence completely. there has to be a varrying factor that can effect how well your group gets better. I know we have the show difficulty settings, but that is just making it easier to get higher scores. The way people rehearse nowadays is going to insure .7 to 1.0 point score gains each day. I think that staff needs a limit. We are starting too high. No guard will start in the low/mid 80s anywhere on earth unless the scoring system is rigged.
12 years later
marimbaman89
Bump
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

bando
Honestly don't a see a huge problem with groups scoring 100 (I mean its a little unrealistic, but still...). No matter what kind of change you make its always going to be possible. If you added random events that hurt your groups (Staff member leaves, bad rehearsal) then you could have a better chance, but no one would like it if that happened to them. As someone that's not even close to scoring that high, I really don't see what the big deal is if someone does.
Founder of the IIEA

Eagle Regiment | Night Area HS Performing Ensembles
marimbaman89
Even though no one else has yet, it's only a matter of time before multiple groups start scoring 100 every season. Once this happens, there will be ties every season and there really won't be any real competition for the win anymore.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame