Login Create Account
Jazz Band
Stradivarius
So far this year my high-school jazz band is doing some AWESOME pieces! Just a couple great ones are Birdland and Soul Man! This is gonna be fun! I do the all-county jazz band every year... Anybody else play any jazz?
12 years later
cire
I did back in high school and college. My director at my junior college was a trombonist in Stan Kenton's band back in the day.. my last year there we did a Kenton tribute with guest artists (all ex Kenton members) it was F********* awesome especially being a trombonist myself
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Stradivarius
I play trombone too lol However I've decided to march only baritone. I play trombone in all non-marching activities. The director of the all-county jazz band last year had us play the exact same arrangement of birdland that my high-school band is doing xD

And that sounds like it was incredible cire! I hope I am able to participate in my college jazz band as well.
12 years later
cire
You should if you get a chance. I was never much of a jazz player personally, but it was fun for sure. For marching band I would always do marching baritone or marching trombone if possible.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Jhawk
I was yet another trombone player in jazz. I tended to play more bass trombone instead of regular. I did jazz in high school and then night jazz in college. There it was more like a laid back rehearsal. My favorite concert was the Steele Dan tribute show we played.

Speaking of birdland. That song was banned from our marching band because the director got tired of it when the students didn't. And the fact that we switched YMCA to birdland in the middle of the football game.
Ivory Brigade
Stradivarius
lol That's awesome! That's what sorta happened at my high school these past few years. Certain songs are come to be hated because we would randomly start playing them together
12 years later
formu1fan
I think Big Band is my favorite genre of music to play as a Trumpet Player. I love it, from Lead all the way down to 5th trumpet.