Login Create Account
Marching Band or Drum Corps?
Stradivarius
I personnaly like drum corps more because the winds have a more uniform look. It makes forms easier to enjoy. But at the same time, I like marching bands better because of the diverse instrumentation that allows some pretty awesome arrangements that can't be done as well with a drum corps hornline. Which do you prefer?
12 years later
Insanity
Drum corps.
Why? No woodwinds. :P
kmarti6
I agree that drum corps are better, It is just more entertaining to me and the standard is much higher than that of marching bands.

That said I have only marched with my high schools marching band so all of my fond memories do come from that activity. I also encourage anyone I can to march if they have the opportunity.
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
TrumpetVinny
Drum corps cause woodwinds suck.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
Stradivarius
Baahahaha we all hate woodwinds >:) Lol recently I actually shared a ton of pictures on Facebook that bash woodwinds.

For example, picture of the sorting hate with the caption:

Incompetent marcher, a show off, and an annoying personality?
CLARINET!
12 years later
Stradivarius
And there are some Japanese marching bands that are just as good as DCI corps! They have an indoor marching band league (but the space used is actually almost as large as a football field anyway lol) and they are breathtaking. There was a videoon dcp once when people were talking about the new indoor league "Sound Sport."
12 years later
iAm64
They both have pros and cons, as we've said.

For me, it's all quality. Compare the top ten at DCI World Championships and the top ten from Grand Nationals and tell me which is better.

I mean,

Blue Devils
Carolina Crown
Phantom Regiment
The Cadets
Santa Clara Vanguard

vs.

Carmel High School
Broken Arrow High School
Avon High School
Tarpon Springs High School
Marian Catholic High School

No disservice to the top bands at Grand Nationals, they're very amazing too, but you just can't beat DCI.
Stradivarius
very good point. maybe someday someone should start Marching Band International xD
12 years later
kmarti6
Just wait Hopkins might yet pull it off
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
IMcomJosh
Stradivarius, "Incompetent marcher, a show off, and an annoying personality? CLARINET!" Clearly you meant Saxophone. Otherwise I might take that personally. ;)

Anyway, this is like comparing apples and oranges. Both may be fruits but have different appeals. I realize that sounds like a double pun but it wasn't intended :-P

I easily enjoy both for what they are though. Plus, DCI is pretty much strictly competitive save for a few Corps (Pio, most of Open, and the like).
Regal Regiment (CLASS) 4XBronze 3XSilver 4XGold
Marching Lords (UNSP) 4XBronze 5XSilver 5XGold
Nobles of Grace (UNSP) 4X Bronze 7XSilver 1X Gold
Drumming Imperials (UNSP) 2X Bronze 5X Silver 7XGold
Stradivarius
lol I got that ofg of a meme nothing personnal xD

And your only making it harder to choose a favorite... i like apples AND oranges D:
12 years later