Login Create Account
Limit on League Shows?
Stradivarius
It seems that many people are having trouble filling their shows because now there are leagues that have a show every day so people just attend those. I am someone who does this... But maybe if a league was limited to 1 or 2 shows a week more people would make more money on their personally hosted shows. I have 3 people attended my corps show and only 1 in the rest of my shows. And that 1 is my b account groups. While my drum corps show has 3, 2 of the 3 groups are controlled by me. Just a thought! :)
12 years later
Jhawk
That wasn't much of an issue for me. The only show I had trouble filling was my drumline show and that was mostly because I screwed up and scheduled it for the first day after there was already a few shows that day.

Its mostly all about getting your show up as soon as possible if you want it filled.
Ivory Brigade
kmarti6
I personally prefer to compete in shows that are not within my league, it allows me to face groups that I would not see if I only did league shows.
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
Stradivarius
Competing in not league shows is pretty cool. But I feel like I'm doing a dis-service to my league by not attending the league events... That is why I kinda wish there weren't league shows every day lol
12 years later
CrossmenX
Since this is only my second season here, maybe I just haven't figured it out yet. But what is the benefit to attending a League show?. From what I've read, I know the league gets money, but they don't have anything to spend it on besides more shows the following year...

Limits on league shows per week would be one thing to look into certainly. But perhaps we should also discuss what else leagues could spend the money on. Something that would benefit the members of that league.

Maybe if you attend a show that is sponsored by the league you are a member of, you get a small percentage of the proceeds? The benefits to this would be that it would help out newer members who don't have enough money or prestige to host a show of their own. Since they could be given a small boost in cash in this way and It would promote the joining of a league.

The downsides I could see from this would be the tendency to only join well established leagues as they're the best ones to help it's members. This would lead to a consolidation of the amount of leagues out there, and while I think a little of that might be a good thing, I don't want to see it go too far either.

Thoughts? What other options can you folks come up with?
"When all else is gone, the Bones always remain."
Stradivarius
members getting money from league events was discussed in another thread was ruled out for the reasons you stated. the limit on shows per week would reinforce the need to actually look for spots in shows, rather than just going through and clicking the big purple buttens x)
12 years later
Insanity
Here's an idea: decrease the amount of influence you receive when you attend a league show.
TrumpetVinny
That wouldn't really stop me at all. Influence is the least important thing I feel in the entire game. Once you're in like 5 digits you pretty much get accepted to 90% of the shows you sign up for.

I think we need to lower the amount of units in regular shows. Maybe 20 max. That allows more people to fill their shows. What's very obvious to me from experience is if I don't have my show set up as soon as possible or within a day of that, it just isn't going to get filled up. Leagues could be restricted to weekends and finals week with no limit on size, but instead a one size fits all option that allows the entire league to participate.

The biggest problem is leagues like mine are sitting on millions of FMA dollars that have no purpose. In a related note, leagues don't really benefit anyone.
What do I get out of it? My schedule is easily filled so I constantly know my score, and nothing else.
What are the costs of the leagues? They siphon away contestants from the shows of everyone including members of that league.
What are the wastes? Huge amounts of unfilled contests and unusable money.

Ideas?
1) Make members of a league have to put something into the league, and then let us get something out of it. Let's say I put in $10000 into unspecified. Let's saying everyone else in the league put in $90000. Then at the end of the season, 50% of the revenue goes away as an operating cost. The rest is distributed in accordance with how much you invested or equally by a vote of the Founder and BoD.
2) We could limit the number of people in each league in an attempt to spread people out into more different leagues. This keeps Unspecified and CLASS from being the superpowers they are. This would also make league events less contestant draining as presumably each league would be able to host fewer shows with the sharp decrease in revenue. If combined with idea 1, then we could only let invested money pay for shows.
3) Force everyone to declare a league or clearly state independence. Make personal contests run under league sanction. Combine with the limit on league members so that contests often have more slots than members. Independents are free to sign up for any of these spots. Independents also have an advantage in that while they have no guaranteed attendance, their shows are free from the league doing things like taking away revenue in operating costs, and open scheduling.

I prolly didn't say that all very clear, but I'm tired so blah.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
Stradivarius
lol no you made a clear point. the only thing i don't really like is the investment in your league. I feel like a league event should benifit the league. maybe, to make it more worthwhile to join a league, you would gain double influence or triple influence for attending a league event. or maybe another concept could be added. a ranking system! an actual ranking system similar to a military system. i know we have experiance as to raise your director level, but maybe there could be a rank for getting a certain amount of influence. for example: the MML ranking system. at 1000 influence you'd rank up, then at 2000, then 5000, 10000, 20000, 40000, etc. etc.this could make it more worthwhile to get more influence. so, the league event giving you much more influence would be more beneficial and important. the limit would have to be in place for this to be reasonable of course.
12 years later
Stradivarius
maybe instead of doubling we could do this: if you are rank 6, you need 7000 more influence to reach rank 7
it would look like this:
1: 0
2: 1000
3: 3000
4: 6000
5: 10000
6: 17000
7: 25000
8: 33000
9: 42000
10: 52000
11: 63000
12: 75000
13: 88000
14: 102000
15: 117000
16: 133000
17: 150000

So far the group with the most influence is the unspecified groups with more than 140000, so i just stopped after the rank above what they would be. each of these ranks could have logical names, but i don't really know what to call them lol
12 years later
kmarti6
Another idea from one of the other threads was that leagues had to buy a field to hold their competitions on. The league would have to buy and maintain a field and depending on how good the field is it could host X amount of shows and have the same basic set up that we have now with shows, where the more money you spend the more people can join the show. As I think about this now I do not really see a downside to it.
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
Stradivarius
yeah i was on that thread when it happened. i think that all these changes should be implimented.
12 years later