Login Create Account
Opinions?
TaylynAnastasia
Hey! I'm Taylyn, and I'm new to FMA. I joined marching band as a colorguard member my sophomore year and I learned clarinet the next semester. I must say, I love band.

The standtunes are what I'm looking forward to the most, and so I wrote one. I arranged Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye, for a standtune. It was a really enjoyable and, actually, a learning experience. I'm SO proud of it, and I'd like to share it.

https://soundcloud.com/taylynblack/somebody-that-i-used-to-know

Please, feel free to criticize me and let me know what you all think. (:
Head Director of:
- The Rocketeers Drum and Bugle Corps
- Mountain Sound of Asheville Marching Band
- Land of the Sky Colorguard
Gamertooth17
Nice job with the wind arranging.

Lots of time I see people on Youtube "arranging" and only giving each instrument one part. Like trumpets the melody all the time, mellos,tbones, and saxes harmony, and tuba the bass gtr part.. You spread it out nicely with the melodies and harmonies. I like it.

TaylynAnastasia
Thank you so much! I tried to give each section a feature of some sort (:
Head Director of:
Gamertooth17
Very nice. I also liked how simple the bass drum break was.

Not everything has to be splitting hertas and sextuplets. Sometimes less is more.

Could use some cymbal stuff. Maybe ride cymbal or hihat.
TaylynAnastasia
Ah, okay. Our school doesn't use marching cymbals or I'd add it :| It was personalized as a standtune for my school, and I'm pretty sure we're like one of the few schools that don't have cymbals in the stands :| If I do a marching arrangement, I'll add the pitched percussion and cymbal c:

Thanks though! I never liked all the complicated bass drum things. I feel like only the tenors should be completely complicated XD
Head Director of:
kmarti6
Not too bad much better than anything I could ever do. Have you seen Walk off the earths version of this song? I personally feel that they play it in a much better style. Also I kinda creeped on your profile and saw you may march DCI next year, any idea where?
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
TaylynAnastasia
Hahah, thanks! I haven't seen it, but I'll go look when I go somewhere that I can watch videos. (I can't here, we don't have unlimited internet at my house.) I actually based this arrangement off of the Pentatonix version of this song. (I suggest watching that too.)

Well, I'm broke, so if I can get the funds and such, I'd like to stay close to home. I'm thinking Carolina Crown, or perhaps DCA with Carolina Gold. If not, the furthest I'll go is either Spirit of Atlanta, or Jersey Surf, maybe. I'd love to start with Surf but it's SO FAR AWAY from me. ._. Do you march?
Head Director of:
kmarti6
I marched in my High schools marching band but now I am working full time to pay for college. I really want to try out for a corps next year but I have no idea if I will be able to pull it off. Also try out for Jersey Surf it may seem like it is far away but honestly once you move in for spring training you dont go home till the end of summer and most corps have color guard members go for two camps and then are allowed to skip the rest.

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
TaylynAnastasia
Ahhh, good point... I'd LOVE to march with Phantom, but that's also way too far away xD
Head Director of:
Gamertooth17
I'd love to march with SCV but they're literally across the country. I live in Ohio..

But hey, Bluecoats is fine. ;)
TaylynAnastasia
Hahah, I love Bloo too! I wish I could march with Phantom. But, I'm from North Carolina so, Crown's good enough for me. <3
Head Director of:
kmarti6
Just so you know a lot of people travel across the country and most corps do pick ups at travel locations. I know for a fact pioneer has a group that comes from the south east and car pools up for some of the weekend camps. They also host audition camps on the east coast. Also a lot of kids that march Pio end up marching Phantom as well. ;)