Login Create Account
Guard scoring bug
marimbaman89
Last season, after a full day of rehearsal, my guard score went down at finals to 99.80 with no perfect subcaptions. This season it did the same thing after two days of rehearsal. I chalked it up to score fluctuation last season but I'm pretty sure now that it's another scoring error related to getting what should be a perfect score. It matters too since I'm locked in a tight battle for first. Help is appreciated! =)
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame
Corps: 2 D1 gold medals
Band: 2 D1 gold medals
Guard: 10 straight D1 titles (FMA record)
Drumline: 3 D1 gold medals

First group to ever score a 100!
Alex
 -infinity
I added a little code to prevent constant strings of perfection in the late season, although it might be a little too aggressive. There is a random element still, which can cause bad luck, but I'll dial back the code that causes diminishing returns on near-perfect scores.
marimbaman89
I am fine with not getting perfect scores and I would love to see real competition return in instances where perfect scores are just going to make people tie. My issue with it though is that I would clearly still be in first if it were not for this code (no offense intended to the Robinson Rams) as we beat them at the last show of the season by a decent amount and I didn't miss a single hour of rehearsal in between shows. I know there is a minor element of bad luck in the game, but my score should not have gone down after spending 4800 energy points between shows. I know I am complaining for my own personal sake but it doesn't seem fair if it changes what should be the right outcome.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

cire
Sometimes life is not fair. Especially in competitions where judges have personal vendettas and you have to deal with politics. :)
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
marimbaman89
Life is definitely not always fair, that is for sure. But at the same time, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to make the game as fair as possible. I agree that getting perfect scores every season is ridiculous and unrealistic and something that should be changed. However I'm definitely not sure this is the best solution and really if I had to guess I would wager that Alex didn't intend this to change the winner of any given season, just to change the perfect scores happening. But since there will likely be two groups that should be achieving a perfect score this season, I think the system should be left as it was before and then changed after the season to just have much tougher standards, or to change the submission and scoring system for guard entirely. I know Alex changed the scoring system in the original FMB once he realized that people figured out how to win, and I would definitely be okay with him doing that in this instance as well. But the outcome as it currently stands (which I believe he didn't even intend) is definitely unfair. I know I would still feel that way if it was negatively impacting someone else's group (even though I'm admittedly much more sensitive to the situation as it involves my group) and I'm sure the director of the Robinson Rams (who has been an AWESOME competitor this season and who I know is an extremely gracious and humble guy) would feel the same way, although I don't claim to speak for him.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

TrumpetVinny
All your girls keep ticking. Guess they couldn't handle the pressure of continuous perfect scores. :P
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
marimbaman89
Yeah we had a lot of rookies this season, we have put a lot of hard work into the show and they have definitely proven they can do everything perfectly, now it's just a matter of putting it all together for a show =P
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

marimbaman89
Bump, this time I did score perfect again, and it generated the old error
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

corndogshuffle
My only comment on this issue (besides the fact that I agreed with marimbaman from the start) is that I think it is patently ridiculous that a caption I literally spent hundreds of points on was able to drop in score. Could I have just not rehearsed at all and ticked up instead of down, and ended up with a 100 instead of a 99.995?

Sorry if this all seems self serving but I don't get it.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120
marimbaman89
I 100% agree with corndog about this. I am happy that I got perfect again and won (which again that error needs to be fixed for finals, thank you for fixing it for semis) but I know that based on the last few shows of the season, the Robinson Rams deserved to score perfect along with the Silver Falcons and earn a co-championship. I really don't think it's fair for one of our groups or the other to have lost out on a championship by a new code which was never discussed before this season. I know we ask you to do a lot, Alex, and I appreciate all the hard work you have done since the start of FMB even - but if you could I would really suggest that you go back and give the Robinson Rams the perfect score that they deserved, and then that you perhaps add more captions to the guard score for the next season to make it much harder to achieve a perfect score, like drumline is. I think that would be the best solution, as long as that is feasible.
Silver Falcons
FMA Hall of Fame

corndogshuffle
I would like to say that I don't get why my score has gone down after spending over 2,000 points in the last day. It doesn't bother me that I'm about to lose marching band, I got flat out beat this season. But I shouldn't be achieving a lower score after spending as many points as I've spent, and this could end up being the second time I lose a guard championship in this manner.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120