Login Create Account
My 2013 DCI Finals predictions BET
Stradivarius
^Likes above comment^

Edit: Now it is on a different page -_-'
12 years later
cire
It gets lonely on the top.. BD has been there for years.. it's the wolf pack mentality.. everyone loves the winner, but if you win too much, people start to hate.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
TrumpetVinny
See: New England Patriots, The New York Yankees, the LA Lakers
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
kmarti6
So moral of the story, BD wins less everybody wins?
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
FastForward
Cire ... Looks like you have received the final prize for the ultimate sin of Arrogance. Crown is no less deserving of their 1st Championship than BD has been for any of their previous 15 Championships.

On a positive note, you will be able to get more sleep due to your self-imposed moratorium on practice for Season 28. Your groups will be relegated to Non-Finalist status. Hope this doesn't become a recurring condition for not only your FMA groups as well as BD ... HaHaHa ... LOL !!! Over & Out !!!
Corps: Spectrum Force
Band: Full Spectrum
Guard: Light Spectrum
Drumline: Rythmic Spectrum

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
Director of FastForward, Inc.
saxamattone
Except he's still rehearsing. It was for season 28 right?

CLASS Board of Directors

Carolina Royals - 16X Division 1 World Champions (DC)
corndogshuffle
Nope. Season 29. He's keeping his word.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120
saxamattone
Oops! My bad!

CLASS Board of Directors

Carolina Royals - 16X Division 1 World Champions (DC)
cire
FastForward..

It's actually only going to make it harder for everyone else if I don't compete for a season, because then I will just campaign and raise a ton of money which will go to my already insane staff..

but in the long run, this is just a game on the internet... I really don't care that much.. and besides.. I got my DCI ring.. where's yours?

The only reason I made the bet was just to liven things up, have some fun. It wasn't to be arrogant. Almost ALL BD alumni knew that Crown would win in the end.. all the signs of the judges pointed to it. There is too much politics in DCI judging.

Pretty much every drum corps could only WISH that "this" was a regular occurrence.. 2nd place? Nothing wrong with that.. The Cadets are they ONLY corps that can say they are consistently in the top 5, and they are usually in the lower end of it.. BD is the only corps that can say they are not only consistently in the top 5, but 95% of the time in the top 3.

So talk all the crap you want.. BD isn't going anywhere.. every other corps has come and gone, BD is still at the top. Crown is around now, but time will only tell for how long.. Don't believe me? Just look at Cavies.

On another note, I have no idea who the hell you are, so there really is no reason for personal attacks or jabs at me.

Grow up.
TrumpetVinny
I should just point out, at our level, a full season of campaigning doesn't get you much in staff upgrades.

I respect BD and their staff for achieving an unmatchable level of success; however, I just don't tend to like their shows. Drum corps is an entertainment. They tend to fail to entertain me.

I actually usually like BD shows that lose (06, 08, 11) more than their winners (07, 09, 10). To me watching BD's less entertaining shows win is like watching a team win the Super Bowl because they have a kicker who can make 120 yard field goals on every drive. I mean yeah it's all perfectly legal and a win is a win, but I'd rather watch the Aaron Rodgers throw 60+ yard bombs or Adrian Peterson juke and make people miss.

But with that said, I'll be very surprised if BD doesn't win another title within 5 years... or even 3.
unstoppable
In a full season of five weeks you will generate roughly $33,600 with the double campaign feature, if my calculations are correct. Plus, whatever amount you will receive from hosting your shows, which is the real variable here. Are you really going to bulk up your staff that much if you have maxed all of them out? I'd venture to say that it would be nothing more than a drop of piss in the ocean.

Speaking of which, I love how quickly things turned into a "mines bigger than your's" argument, that you so eloquently ended with "grow up." You may not now me from Adam, either...but I know there's more to life than winning a championship ring. Let us all realize that at the end of the day, the pawns and the kings, go in the same boxes.

Otis
cire
BD doesn't like losing, they will win again in the next 2 years.

I haven't really liked a lot of their shows since 2000 either. but as far as what they actually do on the field, especially the depth of their shows.. not many shows can compete. The level of detail of their shows is insane.. from the music to uniforms to colors to guard body positions/dancing to individual drill moves.. it is all deeply woven into the theme or idea of the show. BD shows are just different.. they aren't easy shows to watch. The themes are very complex, not simple.. like 99% of shows out there. You actually have to be educated to even know what their main idea is about and that means you have to think - and that is not what most drum corps fans want. They want to sit there, turn their thinking brain off and just be entertained.

Like most sports and judged activity, it is NOT about the entertainment.. yes, that is a factor.. but the main reason (at least for ANY competing group or person) is to do their best, be competitive and to win.

I miss mid-late 90s drum corps. It was very easy to understand, not a ton of gimmicks and props, not a lot of stupid body movement/dancing and it was just in your face, exciting drum corps.
TrumpetVinny
I disagree. It IS about entertainment. Going back the field goal thing, if suddenly every team could kick field goals from any spot on the field, most people would stop watching football. It'd be boring. No fans = no money. Similarly if no drum corps produced shows that people enjoyed people would stop watching and drum corps would fail to sustain itself and die.
unstoppable
Lol @ my post getting edited. Cute.
cire
lol see, just a fun game :)

TrumpetVin.. it is about entertainment, but for the "competitive" corps (ie: top 5ish) it is about creating a show that will win, be effective, can be accomplished, and try to be as entertaining as possible. Entertaining is also very subjective.. some people find BD's show this year very entertaining and others not.. some people might have found SCV 96 very entertaining and everyone else just slept.
Stradivarius
I'm gonna agree with Vinny here... This is my 3rd year with the Empire Statesmen and i've watched the crowds get smaller and smaller. We entertain. No corps that beat us are more entertaining than us. Drum corps is going to dwindle away and vanish if they don't start pushing back toward what drum corps is all about. ENTERTAINING THE AUDIANCE. If we get more entertaining shpows that the majority of fans like, more people will show up to competitions. Thus drum corps starts to grow again. It is all about the fans. Not the performers. There is a reason they are called performers; they perform!
12 years later
cire
Drum corps started out not to entertain the audience.. but to perform and compete. Back in the day DCI was very different.. from how shows were held to how corps were judged.. it was very much about the competition back then. There were corps that were going out strictly to entertain, and that was great, but they also did not win.

I do agree that it SHOULD be about entertaining, but if it was about entertaining, there would be no judges, no scores, no placements and no winner and no finals. There would be no competition and everything would be a high school half time show.
Stradivarius
That would be the extreme situation yes. But if everyone goes out just to win, what happens? The audience is an after-thought. Entertainment is limited. In the here and now, crowds are getting smaller. It isn't about what it used to be like. I'm not saying that everyone should throw out the excellence of marching! That is my favorite part of marching. ACHIEVING. But it sucks watching a corps that just goes out and puts on some "perfect" show but is boring. This is me thinking from the average fan's point of view. I'd want to hear some real drum corps. Like the pre-2000 shows.
12 years later
cire
Agree. I would LOVE some pre 2000 shows
TrumpetVinny
Honestly I'd be okay if there was no scores and we just got to watch awesome drum corps, but we would lose some intensity.