Login Create Account
Drum Corps Material
SaxophoneMan
Hey guys. So I have been practicing mellophone now since the spring of 2010. My first and second year of marching band, I marched saxophone (my original instrument). My third year, I marched trumpet because we needed trumpets. My director knew I had been practicing the mellophone, so he figured if I could play mellophone, then I could play the trumpet. I have never marched mellophone before, but I have been practicing. And if I must say of myself, and not to be conceited, but I am an excellent marcher. I have heard that the mellophone is one of the worst instruments when it comes to a person's feet being in their sound. Although I'm still working on my mellophone skills and I'm a great marcher, would it still be a good idea to try out for a corps even though I have never marched mellophone?
Member of CLASS; Member of ENCORE; Member of PERC
Stradivarius
"If you can dream it you can do it." -Walt Disney
12 years later
EuphoniumBuHao
Considering that some percussion guy got cut from Cadets, picked up a tuba, and 20 days later got a spot in the Cadets contra line, you can do anything and make it. Just work hard enough.
cire
A lot of people in corps switch between mello and trumpet.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
SaxophoneMan
I would most likely start with an open class corps, and then make my way up to a world class corps. I would love to march Spirit of Atlanta and Carolina Crown.
Member of CLASS; Member of ENCORE; Member of PERC
Insanity
Had a friend play saxophone in high school and then marched baritone in Glassmen.
Had a friend play trumpet in high school and marched mellophone for Crown this year.

Just think of it as a challenge and go balls to the wall.