Login Create Account
Low Brass Roll Call!
BlueDevils
So I play some trombone, but my baby is my Euphonium. I play in the Wind Ensemble at my school and have a blast.
DC: Blue Demons Corps
musirid
I always wanted to join band but never had the chance, so this is my outlet :) I play piano and guitar but if I'd have joined band my band director said I would've learned to play baritone or trombone. Still hoping to learn but it'll be tough with college :P
http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh476/caledoniantechie16/kilts-2-1.gif
Roxas
OMG! I'm the exact way with you too BlueDevils! I play trombone, but I prefer my euphonium over it anyday.
BlueDevils
Lol, right? What kinda euph do you have?
Roxas
I have a Dynasty Marching Euphonium. Nothing like the concert euphs, but it's a pretty good substitute. You?
BlueDevils
Lol, I have my Willson Concert Euph. Like I said it's my baby, and thusly no one but me has touched it. I actually march with a Dynasty. I like the sound it gets compared to the Yamahas.
cire
I'm a trombone player but can play Bari. I played Bari and euph in BD and would rather march with a marching Bari than trombone. I had a Bach strad 42 bone with open wrapand sterling silver bell and have owned a few marching baris before a yamaha (Bb) a dynasty (G) and a kanstul (G) the kanstul wasy fav
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Cinman2
King Baritone. I love the sound of a King line, nothing like it.
Executive Director of the CAI Performing Ensembles:
Northgate Marching Band
The Generals Drum and Bugle Corps
Generals Guard
Generals Drums
Prof
I can't tell you how much I enjoy hearing you guys speak of your horns with love.

I may have been a trumpet player but I should have been a trombone player. I love my sound on low brass much more than I do on high brass. In my beginner classes I love to play along with the class on trombone.

I have the sick personality of a trombone player. I always hated being in the lead trumpet / soprano section because of the attitudes and pissing contests found there. It was always the trombones with the best sense of humor and the best jokes. to pull on people. Back in the early 80's I had 3 bone players that decided to only speak like "Beaker" from the muppets while in or around band....ALL YEAR LONG

Those same 3 guys "kidnapped" some stupid stuffed animal one of the flute players always had with her. They took pictures and sent randsome notes. Each week a new pictures of that stupid stuffed animal would appear on the band room wall with a note., she didn't get it back until graduation night when it showed up under a seat on stage.

lowbrass07
Besson Prestige Euph :) words cannot describe how i feel about my instrument.
But I also play Tuba, Trombone, and the didgeridoo, cicular breathing is fun :D
Resilience (Drum and Bugle Corps)- D1
Shadows (Marching Band) - D1
Skyline (Winter-guard) - D1
The Thunder (Drum-line) - D1
FMA WEST
BlueDevils
And hard. I can't circular breath whatsoever.
Novak
Circular breathing might come in handy when you're playing those stereotypical tuba parts; the ones with 20 measures of a tied whole note.

"Oh, they're big fat tubas, they can't play anything cool..." Ugh, this is why I play DCI excerpts. So much more exciting.
lowbrass07
for circular breathing, this is how i learned with ease.
1- Get a straw and a cup of water
2- place mouth on straw, put straw in water( now you look funny :D)
3- fill your mouth up with air (its ok to puff your cheecks, its neccessary anyway)
4- breath in and out through your nose slowly while still holding the air in your mouth
5- (now this is where you start to learn how) take a breath in through your nose whilst pushing out the air from your mouth (with only your mouth, dont try to over complicate things here)
6- now try doing step 5 a few times till you get the hang of it
7- now do step 5 again but this time after breathing in (while still pushing the air out of your mouth) breath out through your mouth normally ( the trick here is to not let the bubbles stop)
practice steps 5-7
8- ok now that you are getting the hang of not letting the air stream stop once you breath out (this is the HARD part) as you are breathing out you will need to fill your mouth back up with air (puff your cheecks out) then breath in through your nose while pushing the air out of your mouth with your mouth.
9- if you have successfully done this you have taken your first circular breath
10- now practic this for a while with the cup of water, and try to keep a constant stream of bubbles if it stops you need to start over.
11- Then once you have mastered the cup o water, move on to your instrument, its best and easiest to do with an instrument with medium resistance, I.E. baritone, ephonium,trombone. tuba has too less of resistance to start on.
start playing a note in the middle of your range, and start circular breathing as demonstrated with the cup. the goal here at first is to be able to buzz the note without breathing out so that you know you can play it with just your mouth+air.
12- after that you should start practice the circular breathing exercise on your instrument
13- tough part here is keeping a constant stream of air while keeping your embouchure and pitch
14- practice doing this for at least 10-15 min a day, you should eventually get the hang of it. if you have problems like u hear the "bump" you will need to practice your air stream, what the bump is is that little flap in your throat that closes and opens depending if you are breathing out your mouth or not, just practice this and you should be able to circular breath within no time.
15- begin to move up your register , increasing the resistance.
16- then move down in your register decreasing the resistance (this ones a lot harder)

anyway if you guys have trouble understanding these steps just shoot me a question
or if you are still having difficulties circular breathing let me know , and i will do my best to help ya out :D

plus you can show off to peops after you get this down.=D

HAVE FUN
FMA WEST
Prof
Thank you, at 54, thats the first time I've seen it presented in a manner that makes sense through the proper steps.....
lowbrass07
no problem :D i just remember learning how to do this by myself, and everyone always tried to over complicate it or make it sound harder than it actually was. i guess this is what happens when you act like alittle kid in a resturant (im 20) but hey it was awesome when i figured it out.
FMA WEST
lowbrass07
anyone else interested in circular breathing? is there something i missed?
FMA WEST
Novak
I just saw that lol. I'm gonna go try this now....question though, should your cheeks still be puffed when you breath in and out through your nose in the early steps?
lowbrass07
lol if you want to look funny, but it does help so you get muscle memory
FMA WEST