Login Create Account
Marching Band Report - DI Predictions
corndogshuffle
You know the drill. All scores are derived using a common formula so these projections surprise me just as much as you sometimes!

12. Teen Titans
Finished 9th one season ago. Dropping from 9th to 12th is more about other groups stepping it up than it is about Teen Titans stepping back (I have them projected to achieve their highest ever score). Look for Teen Titans to make their third DI Finals appearance in the last four seasons.

11. Pacific Northwest High School
Pacific Northwest High School has missed DI Finals each of the last two seasons, but have a pair of 9th place finishes in Seasons 26 and 27. This groups has been going quietly about their business, and a solid start leaves them a solid contender for a top ten finish.

10. Elites
Despite finishing 6th one season ago, the Elites are in a similar position to Teen Titans; their falling down the ladder is more about other groups performance than it is about their own (I also have them projected to reach their highest ever score). Regardless of how this season pans out, a fast start plus a history of good score gains makes the Elites a safe bet to go to Finals for back to back seasons.

9. The Tullahoma Azure Echo
Tullahoma has been the most difficult group for me to write about; in the past two seasons, they have a Bronze Medal and an 11th place finish. Based on what has happened so far this season (and on the Azure Echo’s traditional score gains), right now 9th seems about right. But again, this isn’t about poor performance (notice a trend?). 4th through 10th are all very close and right now not much would surprise me in terms of placement. Another Medal for the group from Tennessee wouldn’t even be remotely surprising.

8. Firebird Pride
Back to back top ten finishes (including a group best 8th place last season) leave Firebird Pride with some very nice momentum coming into Season 30, and as usual, their score gains are tough to beat. Already sitting 13th, a trip to Finals doesn’t seem to be much of a question for Firebird Pride. The better question is, how far can they go? I don’t think a top six finish is out of the question.

7. Cannelton Marching Penguins
The Marching Penguins won the Silver Medal in DII last season, but they actually had the 12th highest score of all FMA marching bands. This season, they are off to a blazing hot start (they’re nearly seven points ahead of where they were this time in Season 29), and very solid score gains make the Marching Penguins a solid contender to finish in the top six. If they make DI Finals, it would actually be their fourth ever trip, with their most recent Finals trip coming in Season 17.

6. The Marching Lords
The five time DI Champions (Season 19, 20, 24, 25, 26) are off to a good start this season (and look to be headed to a better score than on season ago). This is another group that looks headed to a lower placement because of other groups moving up (I’m looking at you in particular, cire). However, a top three or four finish would not even be remotely

5. Red Devils
This groups returned to Finals last season after a four year hiatus. They made Finals from Season 20-24, finishing 8th three times and 7th twice, so this group knows how to be successful. On top of that, the group has gotten off to a significantly better start this season than they did last season. Look for the Red Devils to collect their 10th ever Finals appearance in DI.

4. Spirit of Westchestertonfieldville
With The Marching Marchers missing Season 29 to go fundraising, Spirit is now the only group in FMA DI history to make Finals in every season. Don’t expect them to miss this time, either. A top five finish is almost guaranteed for Spirit (they have only finished worse than 5th twice, in Season 1 and 18), and their early season performance indicates that there is no reason to expect anything less this time.

3. The Marching Figments
The Marching Figments were the breakout group of Season 29, achieving the highest score (94.750) and placement (5th) in the history of the group. Season 30 looks to be another historic season for the Figments. They have never been in such good shape so early in the season, and their strong score gains make a Medal a very distinct possibility. A Finals appearance would be the 10th straight in group history

2. Robinson Secondary School Marching Rams
The two time defending Champions are off to a great start, leaving the group undefeated and ahead of everybody by two points (except Spirit of Westchestertonfieldville and possibly The Marching Marchers). In addition, this is the highest score the Ram Band has ever achieved at this point in the season. Their fast start and strong score gains make the Ram Band a strong contender for a Medalist position in Season 30. At the very least, they seem poised for a 20th consecutive DI Finals appearance.

1. The Marching Marchers
This is really just a guess. I have no real evidence to support putting The Marching Marchers first. However, in Season 18 The Marching Marchers did not compete in any shows until Finals week and still came out on top. Given that (and the fact that they theoretically just came off of a season of fundraising), The Marching Marchers are my pick to win the Season 30 DI Gold Medal in what would be their fifth ever DI Championship (Season 2, 18, 21, 23).
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120
Stradivarius
I hope to prove you wrong about my groups! But that does seem reasonable... I am having a hard time rehearsing the late hours I should be getting. Parental interference would be the only reason I don't place in the top 5 lol and there has been a lot of that lately so we'll see!
12 years later
TrumpetVinny
9th is far too low. Should at least be 1st. Maybe 1st.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
corndogshuffle
Vinny, I thought about putting you in fourth just to be annoying.

And Strad, I'll have a better idea of where to put you (and Vinny) after this past week. Doing this with math instead of straight guessing is tough. Haha.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
Stradivarius
Yeah maybe a 6th again is more probable. I would say I would medal but my parents took away the one thing I was using to get all of my rehearsal time in :P
12 years later
TrumpetVinny
The 11th place finish was the result of me losing a lot of time during band camp and giving up. Surely you must know that you are doomed.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
Stradivarius
After Christmas I will demolish you all. I am getting an iPad >:)
12 years later
corndogshuffle
Calling your shot. I like it. Hopefully me and some others can keep your seat warm for you. :P

I actually am a little bit worried about next semester as it relates to my chances in FMA. I'll be student teaching and I have no idea how much I'll be able to play. I'll still be Finals material, but just making Finals would be a bit of a let down so soon after I figured out how to play and even win. It could also be the case that it has no impact whatsoever. Guess I'll find out!
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
Stradivarius
Might wanna buy a recliner because I am gonna want a nice seat to relax in ;D
12 years later
Stradivarius
I am most certainly going to prove your prediction wrong!
12 years later