Login Create Account
NEED HELP LIKE YESTERDAY
KingDarius
Ok so for part of an audition Saturday, I have to play my chromatic scale full range for alto sax. I can do it but I struggle trying to slide my pinky finger back and forth... Please help me
Southern Brass Drum and Bugle Corps
Antioch High School Band
Silken Angels
Rimshot Central
kmarti6
Have you tried talking to your band director?
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
cire
Practice slow and practice a lot.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
corndogshuffle
Nobody ever said on their deathbed "I wish I had done less slow practice". You can't possibly do too much of it.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120
TeamFrenchToast
I'm not a sax player, but here is an exercise that helps me with tricky fingerings:
Pick an interval that involves sliding your pinky back and forth (or whatever you're having problems with). Set the metronome to 60 (or slower) and in 4/4 time play the following:
One measure of eight notes,
One measure of triplets,
One measure of sixteenths,
One measure of fivetuplets,
One measure of sixtuplets,
One measure of fivetuplets,
One measure of sixteenths,
One measure of triplets,
and one measure of eights.
If you got that down, you can try to increase the speed.

Just to clarify, you can only do this exercise with one interval at a time. For example B to C. You play B to C in eights, then triplets, etc. So if there is an interval where you struggle to slide your pinky, isolate that interval and try that exercise.

Hope that helps, and good luck on your audition
Wolverines (CLASS)
Rock Creek Marching Band
bando
Nose grease.

But really, wipe the side of your nose in that little divot to grease it up a bit. Its something that Oboe players do all the time. (We don't have those rollers in-between our keys, so its a necessity.)
Founder of the IIEA

Eagle Regiment | Night Area HS Performing Ensembles
KingDarius
Thanks everyone! Your help is appreciated!
Antioch High School Band
Silken Angels
Rimshot Central
KingDarius
kmarti6 no I take private lessons every other week but the way my teacher showed me was unclear
Antioch High School Band
Silken Angels
Rimshot Central
kmarti6
Ok ya it was the only help I could give you but luckily other people were able to deliver.
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
cire
Sometimes from a musicality standpoint, it is better to take private lessons from someone who does NOT play your instrument.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"