Login Create Account
Winter Guard
Jhawk
I know that Winter Guard should be starting up soon for most schools if not already started. So who all does Winter Guard here or has done it in the past?
Ivory Brigade
Stradivarius
I don't do it but my high school's guard has gotten pretty good in the last couple seasons. Last season our guard won by over 5 points lol
12 years later
bando
My only experience with Winterguards is helping one of my good friends work on show audio file edits, which was extremely fun. Winterguard shows are probably my favorite thing to watch when it comes to the marching arts. Have any recommendations on groups to watch or look out for?
Founder of the IIEA

Eagle Regiment | Night Area HS Performing Ensembles
Jhawk
I haven't been keeping up very well these last few years. I tended to mostly watch the Independent groups since I had friends in them. Mostly from The Pride of Missouri State and National Avenue. I stopped doing Winter Guard after high school and even then I only did it for my Junior and Senior years.
Ivory Brigade
cire
back in the mid-late 90s I loved watching the BD winterguard (I believe it was their Independent World, or something like that) they competed from 95-99 and was undefeated the entire time, they still hold the record for the highest score of 99.45 (from their 96 show).

Scott Chandler was their instructor at the time (currently BD's guard choreographer).. the guy has some serious skills. From his bio

"Scott has also been the instructor and designer for WGI Independent and Scholastic World Class Champions for twenty three consecutive years including: the Skylarks of Fairfield, CT (1982-84), State Street Review of Madison, WI (1984-89), San Jose Raiders of San Jose, CA (1990-94), and The Blue Devils (1995-98). In 2005 he led James Logan High School (1997-05) to their eighth consecutive Scholastic World Championship title. He has been the sole choreographer/designer of all eight of these award winning programs."

and at BD he has won high guard in 1985, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998 , 1999, 2001,2003,2006,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Jhawk
So that is who was teaching James Logan back in 2001-2005. That was when I first got into Winter Guard and their shows were amazing.
Ivory Brigade
cire
Yup. James Logan always has a great music/guard program. Their marching band is top notch too. A LOT of Logan people go to BD and a lot of the BD staff teaches there - or at least did when I was marching.
Jhawk
Just found this old picture of me back when I did Winter Guard my senior year. I figured you guys could use a laugh.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp8/Jhawk1441/229099_521855735104_4115_n-1.jpg
Ivory Brigade
MrsRomo
Jhawks a ginge!
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
Jhawk
Yup and everyone wants to be a ginger now.
Ivory Brigade
Nakoda
i didn't participate but i did create a show called "Bounce" with a guy at UofL and we did it with Seneca High School last year it was a blast I can't do what they do out on that floor but I can create something for them to do in my head and teach it, if that makes any sense at all. But anyways we got 5th place in our first competition and at the end of the season we got a 3rd place trophy :)
"*slowly strips off your clothes.*" - Cire

Kiowa's 2nd account.

#Louisville #Cardinals #L1C4
Stradivarius
Lol don't tell cire you "lost" xD
12 years later
cire
nope. lol
Nakoda
WE LOST but the indoor percussion i was in throughout high school won my senior yr

Kiowa's 2nd account.

Stradivarius
lol my high school's indoor guard went undefeated last winter. This year they only lost one show so far, and that was because the show wasn't finished and that run was BAD lol
12 years later
MrsRomo
Our school didn't have a winter guard, but I did indoor Drumline for a season. It was a lot of fun!
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
Stradivarius
I love drumline. I march tenors/bass depending on the membership. I pretty much can do whatever they want me to do lol
12 years later
bando
I taught indoor percussion for a few years. I was a cymbal instructor and arranger. Its a really cool experience because the instruction is much more individual than outdoor.
Founder of the IIEA

Eagle Regiment | Night Area HS Performing Ensembles
Nakoda
i teach pit i can rock mallet instruments i take private lessons since the 6th grade i am currently trying out a 6 mallet piece i can't hold them correctly yet but its only been like 2 months lol

Kiowa's 2nd account.

Stradivarius
In empire statesmen we had a marimba player who was born without a full arm so he could play 3-4 mallets pretty comfortably in his one hand lol. You should have seen him do wicked fast parts with just 1 mallet. He could play the things people played with 2 mallets with just his one
12 years later