Login Create Account
Trombones
FTW1110
Hey, does anyone have an opinion of which is a better trombone a Jupiter xo with rose bell Thayer or a shires custom with red brass and Thayer?
Stradivarius
I have never played either :/ I only have played a yamaha student model as an elementary student then upgraded to the Bach Strad (thus the username).
12 years later
MrsRomo
I haven't played either and don't know much about them. I play on a Bach Omega.
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
cire
Haven't played either, I thought the Jupiter was a cheaper model but I might be wrong. Ever bone is different for everyone, so go and play both and try them out
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
FTW1110
Right now I'm playing on a Yamaha ysl-448g and I'm looking at a pro model, I like strads(pre strike era) Bc they are hand made the newer ones are machine made but back has more options with strads now but I feel to really expand my playing ability that a Jupiter xo or shires would be best.
cire
I had a Bach Strad 42 open wrap, sterling silver bell.. I loved it.
Jhawk
Be careful with a jupiter they tend to have really thin metal and dent extremely easy. I had a jupiter 4 valve tuba, I forgot exactly which model and it seemed every time I pulled it out of it's case it got a new ding in it.
Ivory Brigade
Stradivarius
Yeah I have the bach 42 but with the yellow brass bell. And yeah mine is post strike era. The trigger kinda clanks after a week or so of use. Got to keep getting it fixed... I wish I had gotten one from the earlier period. I still love the strad I own at the moment but I wish the trigger was in better shape.
12 years later
cire
upgrade it to a thayer.
Stradivarius
A what?
12 years later
Nakoda
I wouldn't ever buy anything from Jupiter, they are sort of a young company quality wise, and just starting to make decent instruments you don't want to settle for decent you want good or great go with selmer
"*slowly strips off your clothes.*" - Cire

Kiowa's 2nd account.

#Louisville #Cardinals #L1C4
Jhawk
What type of trigger do you use?
Ivory Brigade
cire
Thayer valve - http://images.miretail.com/products/optionLarge/Jupiter/DV016_Jpg_Large_465365.923_lacquer_with_thayer_valve_closeup_angle.jpg

I've never used one personally. For 99% of the time you shouldn't be using the trigger unless you are playing bass bone.
Jhawk
Which is why I loved bass trombone. I like to feel the notes in my gut.
Ivory Brigade
MrsRomo
I use my trigger as much as I can. I'm short so I struggle to reach 6th and 7th position haha
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
Jhawk
I used to have the opposite problem when I would go to 7th I used to end up pulling the slide off.
Ivory Brigade
cire
when I was in 6-8th grade I would use my feet to reach 7th lol
FTW1110
Right now I'm using a regular rotor, and I have played on a Thayer and I like the response, if I go with a shires I don't know if I want the Thayer or their "tru bore"