Login Create Account
Starting a Drum Corps
BlueDevils
Okay. So my friend and I have always dreamed of starting a corps. We've developed a list of things that would be needed including (but not limited to): Motorcoaches, Food Trucks, Storage, Food, Water, Instruments, Fields, gas money, possibly washer and dryer so corps doesn't need laundromat, maintenance for mc's and trucks and instruments, staff wages, money for drill writer and music arranger, money for rights to music, uniforms, etc., etc.

Now we've been looking at the money and finances and figured out that starting a drum corps with used equipment would be somewhere around $1.5 Million... No, I'm not asking for donations. What I'm asking is if anyone out there has any ideas on raising money and how to proceed. We're in the process of talking to some directors, but the replies to our e-mails have been few and far between as it's in the middle of the season.

And if you can think of any hidden costs please feel free to post some ideas and thoughts.
DC: Blue Demons Corps
cire
I would highly suggest you or at least people you will be running it with taking business classes first. There are people out there that have started several drum corps in the past (DCI/DCA) which have ended up failing.

Some of the things you will also need to consider is where the members will be coming from.. if you do DCI, you will probably have to pick local high schools, and even then it might be hard because most people don't want to start a new corps because they usually aren't very good etc..

You could also try going to a local college or JC and try to set the corps up through the school maybe as a marching band.. kind of like JSU.. I know at BD we got marching band credits at DVC.. the school would get student #s (helps with state funding) and BD would get to use the astroturf stadium during the winter months
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Prof
In this day and age, it's a pretty tough task. I have been involved in the set up of two organizations one back in the 80's that didn't get off the ground because of ego's and the wrong people who didn't have a clue about setting it up for the long term and the same concept with different people in the early 00's that was successful and still in operation on several levels)

One of the main problems is dealing with ego's involved.

I'll be happy to guide you through some steps but without knowing the people involved it hard to guide you through the personalities and politics.

#1) Get a group of former marching members who are in their 30's-50' who are successful in the business world. Make sure one is a lawyer and one is a CPA. Make sure non of them have the thought that they will have any say in the day to day operations of the group and that thie job is build the business foundation.

#2 Without saying too much, find out who the most competitive band directors are in the area. Find out who gets along with who and who has what equipment and facilities to help get things rolling. Understand that all band directors are Gods of their own world and allowing each to be involved without too much power or ego involved is the trick. Also find out who each one respects most and that could be someone a generation older who has retired and no longer has the "release" we all live for. That COULD be your director but it will take at least a year or two to feel all these guys out.

Proper planning will take at least a year including forming the 501c3 and getting the legal stuff done. During this time, socials and informal meeting of former marching members and fans in the area builds connections and interest.
The most important thing at the early stages is to NOT mention ANY names of who will be in any position. You have at least a year or so to have a research committiee organize this. If someone mentions a name, it could turn some others away. Like they said in Music Man: Ya Gotta Know The Territory".

If you are REALLY serious about this, and not just sitting around thinking "hey Cool, lets start a corps", I'll be happy to offer information as to what I have seen work as well as how things can fail with the wrong person saying the wrong thing.

The hardest thing for most people is being involved in getting it up and running the knowing when to had over the reigns to someone more suited for the job.

Take what you want and suit it to you needs and concepts.

AND DON'T FORGET INSURANCE

cire
If you are serious... you can email Michael Nash - director@socaldream.org
rtloveless
Here's another idea. Start small. and I mean small. The corps I marched with for 2 years was called Cincinnati Tradition. They are DCA. Meaning all ages. most of the corps is actually relatively young. They perform locally, and compete in DCA. When I joined, I believe we only had 15 horns. Not a lot its it? Well 4 years later they have 30 REALLY decent horn players. They are starting to attract attention. One of the best ideas this corps has come up with is, practicing every week, on Sundays. One day a week. With a small corps, that works out. Works around most people's schedules and easy to help individuals, so practicing 12 hours a day isn't needed for 30 people. They have a small fee as well. Also with the corps, some of the staff actually marches as well.

It's slow going at first. But they are getting up there. Remember start/think small. You don't need motorcoaches and all that other jazz if you do what I mentioned. The most you would have to worry about are Staff wages, copyrights, and gas. and most of these people drive to the show individually. Yes there is carpooling involved, but they all get there to drive seperately, which eliminates the need for a bus or something. If the drive is far, then yes, they will use a bus.

How I've helped.
Ryan T. Loveless
cire
Ryan, I was on staff at SoCal Dream (DCA) for 2 years as well.. sounds like how they were at first too with starting small. We placed 3rd both years I went to DCA, and most of the staff ended up marching as well.
ImperialSound
Hey Bluedevils I am also working on starting a drumcorps in the Minnesota/ Wisconsin area.
the easy part is finding the people who want to be apart of it. the hard part is fundraising and pretty much trying to figure out how to start a non profit business from the ground up and all the legalities that come with it.

I say if you are truly series about starting a corps
1.Email around to create a Board of Directors
2.Start looking for funding (sponsors, grants etc... It doesn't take $1M to run a DCI Open/ DCA corps lol... most corps really just dont pop out of no where with a million dollar budget, unless you plan on being a 150 member World Class touring corps, then you have A LOT of work to do. based on my budgets I'd say you would need $150K - $500k, depending if you find a housing site and have instruments provided for you and whatnot.

I am going after my dream and I really hope others out there go for theirs as well. This really motivates me to work harder to actually make the corps I am working on a success. If you need help or if anybody would like to be apart of DCI History, [ daspyda1518@aol.com ] Shoot me an email & we can talk.

Good luck, I wish you the best
Pioneer Drum Corps '12 Tenors
Twin Cities Area Independent 10 bass
Sun Devils Drum & Bugle Corps 08,09 Bass
FreakoftheArts73
I like this post, because I too am considering doing the same thing. I won't consider trying yo launch a season until after I age out, but I need as much time as I can get to prepare.

Perhaps if we all get ours successfully running, we can find ways to support each other.

BTW - I've heard ImperialSound (above) talk about this before and he's doing a great job organizing his. I'd encourage anyone interested in being a part of it to go for it.
-FotA73-
http://msgrantmusic.com
rtloveless
@Cire,
;) Watch out Cincinnati Tradition is going to kick butt this year. They sound amazing. I'm possibly going to be marching a hole on bari, which is definately NOT my instrument, and joining this late in the season will be super tough.
Ryan T. Loveless
BlueDevils
Thanks guys! I'm not going to do this until I age out, but I am completely serious. I'm going to take all of this to heart and proceed intelligently and carefully.

Thanks again! =]
DC: Blue Demons Corps
cire
@rtloveless They might kick butt.. but until they redo their (horrible) website.. I won't be impressed. lol If you are going to be marching, better start on those pushups and getting used to holding a heavy horn. But then again half the people in DCA play to the ants anyways so you will probably be fine.

DCA is great though... it's where REAL drum corps is at
rtloveless
Oh we aren't like that. We've been pretty dominate. And I'll be fine marching. :D Good luck to you
Ryan T. Loveless
ImperialSound
Yeah Good Luck to you!! and I hope who ever wants to start there own corps gets out there and just goes for it
Pioneer Drum Corps '12 Tenors
Twin Cities Area Independent 10 bass
Sun Devils Drum & Bugle Corps 08,09 Bass
katkatastrophe
I dunno about starting my own corps.. but I definitely want to have my own winterguard one of these days.. and work for a drum corps. lol.
Proud Director Of

Infinity Sound Drum and Bugle Corps (D2)
Infinity Winterguard (D2)
Storm Indoor Drumline (D2)
Westwood Academy Marching Band (D2)