Login Create Account
TEXAS D&BC SHOWCASE REVIEW (S33)
rhythmicthinking
The Texas D&BC Showcase is a seasonal corps competition in its second year since Arsenal D&BC decided to host their very first show in Houston a year ago at Cypress-Fairbanks's Berry Center.

This year it had moved a couple of hours west into the heart of San Antonio, at the Alamodome. This venue is an important site for not just drum corps, but all marching arts across the nation. It regularly hosts BOA's Super Regional for Texas- a very competitive one at that. It holds the UIL's annual State Marching Band Contest. It's the site where the US Army All-American Marching Band performs every year. It's home of the ever-important DCI Southwestern Championship, where all World Class corps meet for the first time after the start of tour season.

So, it's very fitting that the Texas D&BC Showcase would take place at this site. If any field could claim as much importance in the marching world as Lucas Oil, it would be the Alamodome.

It cost quite a bit for the Arsenal D&BC- newly formed, mind you- to have the honor of hosting a competition at this site. However, people came in the droves all across Texas to see big name FMA groups such as The Cornhuskers- as well as smaller local corps like The Resistance. Ticket prices for the night's 15 corps' gave Arsenal more than enough to host the competition and support themselves.

At 7:00PM on 3/24/2014, the Alamodome was filled with the sound that gives it its identity.

---

Starting us off was our only D3 corps: The Resistance, from Austin, Texas. Cheers erupted from the stands for this local corps. They haven't done so well this season compared to their last, however the crowd liked it and it was a great start to our evening. They received a score of 50.935.

Next was our first D2 group, Arcadium Vanguard from Phoenix, AZ. The audience cheered as they put on their show Jesus Christ Superstar. The Arizona corps cranked up the heat, for sure. The judges soundly gave them 57.120, third place.

Afterwards was Big Blue from Covington. Their show was entitled Pep March, featuring the hit songs Carry On My Wayward Son, Freebird, and I Like It. Though they were not as well received on the judges' sheets with 53.455, fourth place, they got the crowd up and moving to their popular sounds.

Up next was U.K.D.C. from Kentucky. U.K.D.C. had the same concept- Pep Show!, except with a bit more modern club hits. The group vaulted up from their last competition, jumping two points at the TD&BCS. The crowd enjoyed the show, even if they felt it was just a better version of what they just finished seeing. The judges provided them second place with a score of 62.160.

Our last Division 2 corps was the competitive Blue Devils of Carolina, currently in the D2 Top 5. All the way from Durham, NC, their show Pines of Rome brought a welcome change of programming to the crowd- serious, and incredibly technical. The judges thought so as well, offering them the first >70 score of the night- 72.350 and first place for D2.

After a 30 minute intermission, the host Arsenal Drum & Bugle Corps from Houston, TX performed in exhibition. Their show Frozen Journey gave onlookers a view into a wintry world. The show was well received, especially due to the fact the corps was close to home.

Beginning D1 was the past season's D2 champion, Order of the Phoenix from Orlando, FL. Their Millennial Celebration celebrated the world and its cultures, basing their show off of Disney's EPCOT amusement park. The corps received 9th in D1, with a 76.165.

Next was the Midland Valley Redcoats, from Marathon, FL. Immediately the crowd was greeted to a smooth, jazzy solo that seemed to echo intermittently in the show. Their over-the-top show Improvisation gave listeners a ring in their ears afterwards. They received 8th in D1, with a 77.170.

Up next was New Star of Indiana, from Carmel, IN. Their show When The Stars Align was extremely musical. Listeners were joyed to hear many classics from New Star, and so were the judges because they received a 6th in D1 with our first >80, 81.495.

Following New Star was Redcoat Regiment from Jordan-Elbridge. Their show 1492 takes us on an explorer's journey to the New World with modern music. They got the winds caption, as well as 7th in D1 with 80.435.

Upping the standard for the night was Corps IBEX from Fairborn, OH. Their show Into Darkness roared and was a fan favorite for the night. The long, well executed percussive passages kept the audience on their seat ready to hear more. They received the percussion caption tonight and 5th in D1 with an 85.010.

Four time world champion Carolina Royals from Charlotte, NC appeared on the field after IBEX. They played their show The Engulfed Cathedral which captivated the audience with rich, warm tones and Royals-esque drill. The audience absolutely loved it. They received the M Ens and V Ens captions and 4th in D1 with an 86.060.

Leviathan from Boston, MA appeared on the field next- playing Borodin's 2nd Symphony adapted for corps. It was an all around dauntless show, with a well executed brass book. The crowd appeared not to be too receptive, however they did cheer quite a bit during some sections. Leviathan received the bronze in D1 with a 86.790.

Originally from Texas, and now from Westchestertonfieldville, Iowa, the Cornhuskers D&BC arrived on scene. The crowd was already cheering as they entered the field. The Cornhuskers were the fan favorite of the night. Their show American Images brought the music of Aaron Copland to the field. The brass book was powerful, yet the big thing for the Cornhuskers was the patriotic imagery displayed by the corps and the regimented guard work. Overall, the Cornhuskers won the V Prf and Guard captions, as well as the silver in D1 with 87.985

Finally, the reigning world champions Nemesis came on field from Burlington, VT. The show Alexander Nevsky retold the Russian epic in solid form, keeping the audience wide awake and cheering the entire time. Nemesis fans cheered loudly, the show a favorite and a reminder of their S15 win. Nemesis was highly received and won the GE captions, as well as the gold in D1 with 88.245.

Ending the night before retreat was entertainment from Arsenal D&BC, a DrumLine Battle between Lake Travis and Cedar Park HS (winner: LT), and World Gone Mad Drum Corps.
Arsenal Drum & Bugle Corps
MrsRomo
Nice write up!
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
saxamattone
Very well done. Bravo!

CLASS Board of Directors

Carolina Royals - 16X Division 1 World Champions (DC)
gcurrier
Great job and excellent show! I am glad both of my corps could attend
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
Nakoda
aw wish someone would read it...i forgot my contacts in iowa lol
"*slowly strips off your clothes.*" - Cire

Kiowa's 2nd account.

#Louisville #Cardinals #L1C4