Login Create Account
Am I Good Enough? **PLEASE READ IF YOU CAN**
SaxophoneMan
Hey guys, sorry if this is long, but if you don't mind reading it could really help me out. So, I was trying to figure some things out for myself. I graduated from my HS on June 6th, so that means no more HS marching band for me. I plan on auditioning for SoA on mellophone next marching season, but I feel a little weary on doing that. But, I also feel like I underestimate myself a lot. Anyway, I am an original saxophone player, which I began playing in the sixth grade. My freshman year of high school I marched sax, my sophomore year I marched sax, my junior year I marched trumpet, and my senior year I was drum major. I worry a lot about if I am good enough to march mellophone considering I have never marched it before, and I hear a lot about how getting your feet out of you sound/tone can be kind of tricky. I think I can play mellophone exceptionally well, but I just worry a little when I may have to bring the marching in to place. (Btw, I would like to think of myself as a very exceptional marcher. I love marching and I put A LOT of emphasis on it). So, I just wanted to see what some of you may think, and there may be some of you who have been through the same thing as me considering the big community of drum corps members that this site has. So, does anyone have any comments or suggestions?
Member of CLASS; Member of ENCORE; Member of PERC
Stradivarius
Having absolutely no experience with auditioning or marching a DCI corps, I can only give you the advice others have given me. From what I hear, the visual portion of the audition might be a little more important than the playing, because they can teach you to play to a higher level. But being able to play at the level they need you to before you get there is important. Just practice by going for a run then picking your horn up and doing long tones. Very. Slowly. Best workout I have ever done for breath control. Then, if you can say to hell with pride, march around your yard while playing long tones. Then try doing it jazz running. But if you're as good as a marcher as I am imagining, playing without your feet in your tone shouldn't be a problem. I never had the problem because I am like you. I picked up marching with good technique quickly within a month of when I first started. You should be fine with the right amount of work.

Again, I am basing this off of advice given to me by friends who have marched in previous seasons from all sorts of corps. If anyone can point out some better ways to do this go right ahead and correct me lol

I almost beat you in length :P
12 years later
SaxophoneMan
Thanks Jake. I've heard that about many corps' too, that they'll build you up to play higher levels. I would definitely play outside, but I don't want to disturb my neighbors lol. My director used to tell me that long tones would be my best friend, and now I believe him lol. Anyone else have any advice?
gcurrier
first off--I think many corps want someone whose heart and dedication is in it more than anything else. A lot of other things they can teach you--thats kind of what they are there for. I think Spririt is a great place to start--your not trying to jump top 3 like some do--but your not starting at the bottom either by any stretch. from the sounds of it, seems like you have a really good shot. Finally this is really life advice not any one activity specific. ALWAYS GO FOR IT AND GIVE IT YOUR ALL! Many times I could have held back from going for something because I needed more this or that...but I wanted people to know I was serious and I wanted the EXPERIENCE of trying for whatever it may be. experience is so undertated--but huge to your life long development. I dare say 9 times out of 10 even when I thought "going for it" would only be an experience, I still got it too! So never sell yourself short or youll be (pun intended) sitting on the side lines, not in the action!
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
MellophoneGuy
Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna work harder so I can make sure I'm ready to give my all when auditions come. Thanks again, guys. Makes me feel a lot better!
Member of CLASS; Member of ENCORE; Member of NSBACL; Member of PERC

*SaxophoneMan's 2nd Account*
SaxophoneMan
^^^ That's me btw lol. I forgot I was in my "B" account.
gcurrier
Awesome! Can't wait to see you on the field
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
SaxophoneMan
Thanks!