Login Create Account
Senior in need of help! SOS!
FTW1110
Ok, so I have a problem. My high school band doesn't have "section leaders" we have seniors the entire senior class is supposed to act like section leaders and be responsible for the sections and all that. Well we have this creed we say and a senior always says it but this year there is a lot of drama between the seniors because some people don't what the person who says it to say it or they don't like the way he/she says it and we had a senior meeting today to try and clear up any hate or anything. And now we have this giant division in our band. Can anyone give me advice on how to keep our senior class from destroying this year and help keep leadership to leadership and not a ego contest
MrsRomo
Maybe plan a senior leadership bonding event. Team building, leadership skills and fellowship?
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
cire
band sucks. quit and go do drum corps.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
TrumpetVinny
That's an awful leadership system. One person needs to take charge of each group and his word is final. He can have input from others, but someone needs to be able to make a decision that gets things done. Vote on it. Move on.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
saxamattone
You should discuss your concerns with your band director.

CLASS Board of Directors

Carolina Royals - 16X Division 1 World Champions (DC)
FTW1110
Well the director wants this type of leadership system ( I do agree it is pretty awful because the people who shouldn't lead are doing the most leading) and we tried voting but um last we voted on something it turned to crap because our head drum major's idea of voting and everyone closing their eyes and raising a hand and lettin her count and she plays favorites all the time and even talks about other seniors behind their backs. @cire I might just. @saxamattone And I would but he is so busy right now and stressed that there is time for me to really to to me and explain my concerns
FTW1110
@MrsRomo we tried to get all the seniors to do something like that yet it fell through. Partly because the sections have too many seniors half of my trombone section is seniors there are 14 trombone and 7 seniors which isn't really that bad since there are actually 20 9th graders moving to high school band next year. ( we March 10-12 not 9-12) it's like that in all the sections and a lot of the seniors are trying to be past seniors and yelling at the underclassmen instead of talking to them and helping they are just reprimanding them.
FTW1110
Well the director wants this type of leadership system ( I do agree it is pretty awful because the people who shouldn't lead are doing the most leading) and we tried voting but um last we voted on something it turned to crap because our head drum major's idea of voting and everyone closing their eyes and raising a hand and lettin her count and she plays favorites all the time and even talks about other seniors behind their backs. @cire I might just. @saxamattone And I would but he is so busy right now and stressed that there is time for me to really to to me and explain my concerns
FTW1110
FTW1110
FTW1110
Sorry for posting the same over and over again my ipad messed up and did this
Kiwidrummer
Sounds like your director needs to grow a pair and put the foot down. I understand the stress he and you must be experiencing. A decision on this would relieve a lot of the tension. Not everyone will be happy, though he is the one who can correct this. Obviously, some of the seniors never really learned from past examples, as I'm sure this isn't the first year that there has been differences of opinion. No matter how busy he is, he needs to address this and it will take a senior or two with a bit of maturity to bring this to his attention. Maybe it will take a comp or two of the band falling on it's face for eyes and ears to open up. Your drum major should be the ultimate voice in leadership. Maybe find a group of seniors, one from each section, and confront the drum major, if this goes no where, take the group to your director. Best of luck....otherwise, just put up with your last year and have fun regardless. Drum corps is only around the corner.
Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
Jhawk
Personally I would see about just having the seniors in each section vote for a section leader. That way you are getting that traditional leadership. And it makes everyone feel like they were involved.

Bring up voting again, but instead of hands which is an awful way of voting in my opinion do a blind ballot. The whole close your eyes for anonymity is stupid. people will always look and you know that people will always look so that skews the results. You want something where who ever is counting can be checked. Hense doing the blind ballot. Just have everyone write their vote and put it into a hat and then you can count the ballots to everyone.

As far as people yelling at underclassmen it really depends on why they are upset with them. A little context here would be helpful to be able to give some advice.
Ivory Brigade
Kiwidrummer
Jhawk, I like your advice. Takes the stress off the director. As long as everyone agrees to be bound by the results.
Jim Helsel
FastForward
This is what happens when there are too many chiefs & not enough indians as the old saying goes ... The Director needs to put a stop to this group behaviour or the situation will not improve ... Good Luck & Play On !!!
Corps: Spectrum Force
Band: Full Spectrum
Guard: Light Spectrum
Drumline: Rythmic Spectrum

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
Director of FastForward, Inc.
Kiowa
you should step up as leader of all seniors and just say hey idc what your problem is with each other but this is a problem and you need to leave it at the door. it worked wonders for me when i student teached
#LosLynx

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but world War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" - Einstein
Stradivarius
From what I have read from his posts, I feel like that would end badly... But it could also save them idk lol. I feel like the power hungry ones would not take it well...
12 years later
FastForward
This High School Band sounds alot like the Empire Statesmen ... Just kidding Strad ... LOL !!!
Corps: Spectrum Force
Band: Full Spectrum
Guard: Light Spectrum
Drumline: Rythmic Spectrum

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
Director of FastForward, Inc.
Nakoda
lol to be honest though the director needs to mediate
"*slowly strips off your clothes.*" - Cire

Kiowa's 2nd account.

#Louisville #Cardinals #L1C4
Kiwidrummer
^^I agree....needs to grow a pair...current system seems to be not working this year.
Jim Helsel