Login Create Account
FMA Drum Corps World Shaken as Aftershock NZ Claim First World Championship
Kiwidrummer
FMA Drum Corps World Shaken as Aftershock NZ Claim First World Championship

by: Jim Helsel (Kiwidrummer)/FMA Commentator

Believed to be FMA’s first international world champion, the corps from New Zealand, a country of only 4 million strong, Aftershock NZ held off a valiant late season surge from Defiant Hearts to improve on their 3rd place finish last season.

You could not have ordered a better evening for FMA’s best division II drum corps. Temps in the 70’s, no wind, and a full moon to add that brilliant sparkle. And the corps all rose to the occasion. While there were no movements in placings, the point spread was just 4.27! This attests to the quality and solidness of the corps performances.

Opening the night was Domo Arigato, performing their show Domo. The self-titled show is a true reflection of this corps’ creativity. A solid performance from the hornline and a well-rounded percussion section drove this corps into finals this season. Some minor issues with their guard kept this corps from a better finish. 12th place with a score of 85.945.

Berlin Fieldsmen were next to take the field. They went into battle with their production of The British Are Coming! This is a corps that starts strong every season, but just never seems to grasp the hunger to go all the way. The hornline had it’s moments that shone through, creating some stunning harmonies throughout the show. The percussion section and guard were the biggest letdowns for this corps this season. Visually, the battle scene was very nicely done on the field. This writer particularly liked the fifes and drums leading into battle. 86.385 kept them in 11th place.

Justice NOT For All was the offering from Jagerbombers. The original music, … unfortunately, everyone is not created equally…, was a moving testament to the social pressures of the different classes society has place on individuals. An excellent portrayal by the different voicings in the hornline, their low brass was was quite boisterous, while the sopranos left you rooting for the little guy. An accomplished performance from their percussion section kept you on the edge of your seat throughout the performance, while their guard was the highlight of this corps. A solid performance, good enough for 10th place with a score of 88.190.

And on the starting line, Dakota Musicale. Their show, Hocus Pocus, was a true illusionists dream. The hornline was not up to the judges expectations tonight, receiving the lowest mark there. There were some interesting runs between the sopranos and mellos, but their baritones were a bit overpowering at times. Their percussion section was entertaining, especially through the blind-folded feature, drill and all. Visually, the highlight of their show had to be the corps completely disappearing on the last note. Yes, they just vanished into thin air. Now that’s some Hocus Pocus. Final score of 88.265 for 9th place.

In their first season in division II, The Moingona, last season’s division III gold medalist, was a pleasant addition to the top 12. Their show, Battle Hymn, was a stirring tribute to all the troops abroad fighting against terrorism. A strong brass section that will be one to watch in the future, they had a delicately blended sound. The strong power chords and subtle key changes had the audience constantly murmuring, “did they just do that?” A quality performance from their percussion section led us into every battle. Visually, they presented an experience to remember. We are still trying to figure out where they got the tanks from. GE was their weakest tonight, though this writer is sure those problems will be overcome in following seasons as they gain more experience. Definitely a corps on the move, as they finished in 8th place with a score of 88.315.

Kingsmen were the next corps to entertain the audience with their rendition of October. They put on an interesting show, featuring the many possibilities that occur during the month, from the onset of autumn right through to Halloween. The brass section presented some nice ideas in the musical book, while the percussion section was quite spooky when they change to their Halloween costumes. Visually, the corps’ transitions were quite smooth. The highlight of their show was how the guard created the feeling of falling leaves, complete with bright orange, yellow, and brown costumes, through their rippling effect. Last season’s division III runner-up scored an 88.365, besting last season’s rival for 7th place.

After the 15 minute intermission, the fans were in great anticipation of Spirit of Atlantis. Their production of The Wanderings of Dionysus provided everything you would expect from a Greek God, right through to the clash with Apollo. The hornline was brilliant, tieing for second best on the night. The drumline was strong and the pit section could be described as symphonic. Visually, they were quite light on their feet and very fluid, earning them the highest score of the night for the performance caption. I wondered about the glasses of water in between each movement, then realized they probably had a hard time breathing for a corps that comes from Bottom of the Ocean! A respectable 6th place finish with a score of 89.900.

In a chilling performance, Ghost Riders presented their show Ghost Train. Right from the opening strains from the hornline you knew terror was on track. The brass was dark, powerful, intimidating. The percussion section was amazing at times, producing some hair raising sound effects. The guard pulled off their ‘ghost’ effect, you could here the oohs and ahhs throughout the audience. The second most visually stunning moment of the night ( still can’t get over Dakota Musicale just vanishing into thin air ) had to be the train on fire coming across the field aka: War of the Worlds. Final score, 89.920 for 5th place.

Who ya gonna call? Just when you thought you couldn’t have more fun between the goals, Phantom Legion turns up the heat with their production of Monster Mash. This is a high energy show from start to finish, one huge party mix of Halloween favorites. Opening with Ghostbusters, Phantom Legion left no doubt to the ultimate Halloween question. Don’t Fear the Reaper was smooth and a perfect lead-in to the percussion feature, A Nightmare On My Street, complete with Jason and Freddie. Thriller provided the meat of the show and was quite a sight. Closing out this show was the all-popular Monster Mash. This crowd favorite had everyone trying their hand at twerking. Their hornline was crisp, clear, and concise, a real pleasure to sing along to. Percussion was spot on tonight, driving this non-stop celebration, earning them a well deserved tie for 2 nd . A visually demanding, yet entertaining offering, was their driving force, and on the night the judges agreed, awarding them 2 nd in guard and overall High Visual. 4th place with a score of 90.005.

Leading off the top 3, Devil Crusaders were determined to improve on their disappointing 4 th place finish last season. And that they did, with a vengeance, bringing to the competition arena their production of Sweeney Todd. Their hornline was loud and demonic right from the start with the prelude leading into The Ballad of Sweeney Todd. The fast-paced, intense song highlighted this corps’ ability to stage a production that demanded fitness, accuracy, and musicality. Not While I’m Around was sweet and had the crowds emotions right where they wanted. They closed their show with a more electrifying reprise of The Ballad of Sweeney Todd. 2 nd in Music Ensemble and Music GE, tied for 2 nd in Visual Ensemble, 1 st in Visual GE and overall High GE. Did the barber exact revenge on the judge and his cronies for kidnapping his wife and daughter. We’re still looking for bodies buried in the field. 3rd place with a final score of 90.060.

Defiant Hearts followed with their trademark classical production. This year’s offering of Shostakovich was in no way to be overlooked as a serious contender. Right from the second movement of the 10th symphony, they had the crowd’s, the judge’s, and the audience’s attention, never to be let go until after the last note. They brought down the house closing their show with the seventh symphony, 4 th movement. The hornline was deep, rich, and dark. The percussion section performed in this writer’s opinion their best performance of the season, earning them a tie for second best. High Music Ensemble, High Color Guard, and High Music GE all combined to give them a final score of 90.085 and a silver medal for their efforts.

In total contrast to their predecessor, Aftershock NZ took to the field with their staple rock themed show. The Edge of Insanity was an ever-growing production featuring the music of Pink Floyd’s The Wall. Telling the story of a rock star’s sudden fame, the pressures, abandonment, and isolation, all contributing to a self-imposed wall between himself and society, this was a complete theatrical show on a drum corps field. The opening movement was a compilation of In The Flesh?, The Thin Ice, and The Happiest Days of Our Lives. Right from the opening strains from the hornline and the funky melodic rhythmns from the percussion section, you knew this corps was going to make history. The percussion feature, Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, was explosive, technical, and entertaining. Percussion was this corps’ star performer this season, winning High Percussion by almost a full point. The questioning ballad, Mother, highlighted the talented hornline with it’s demanding time signature changes, contributing to their High Brass award. The audience watched in amazement as the final brick went into the wall during Comfortably Numb. While this show was the total package, the highlight was the surprise ending. As the corps played The Trial, which was the closer until tonight, the wall suddenly burst down as the rock star emerged with his electric guitar alongside a soprano soloist, producing the hottest duet of the night with the closer of Outside the Wall. Also winning High Visual Ensemble and overall High Music, the corps from down under finished out their season with a final score of 90.215. Ladies and gentlemen, your season 38 FMA Drum Corps Division II World Champions, Aftershock NZ.

This was a finals to rival the division I corps. While some of these finalists will no doubt make the move to the big league next season, others will be given the opportunity to fight it out again for a division II title. Every corps tonight was deserving of a title, being one of the tightest finals showdown in a long time, and every corps did go home a winner after tonight’s performances.

For a full re-cap, please visit:

http://www.fantasymarchingarts.com/event/25486

Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
Kiwidrummer
My apologies for this taking so long. Even though the new season has started, I hope this makes for some entertaining reading.

Now that I know the demands of what it actually takes to be an FMA Commentator, I do hope that I can provide our community with the quality that we deserve.....

Jim Helsel
MrsRomo
I hope you continue to provide commentary. It's difficult, and I lack the creativity and writing skills for it, so I love being able to read yours. Great job!
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
Kiwidrummer
Thanks MrsRomo. I must remember to not take on too much at once. As I get to know corps better this season, writing about their shows will become easier.

Jim Helsel
Aaron0316
Once again, great job. I know what you mean about taking on too much. It's a new season. I'm just focusing on this one. Expect more from the commentators this season <-:
Aaron Sickmeier, director of......

Dark Knights - (FAME, original founder)

Marching Elite - (ENCORE! original founder)

Dark Knights Guard

Equilibrium
Kiwidrummer
I'm done with last season too. My apologies to the drumlines. Do you realise how hard it is to write about your own corps? lol

Jim Helsel
AlanLovesMe
beautiful review. Defiant Hearts members and staff enjoyed a thrilling season and set the bar very high for seasons to come for this organization.
Defiant Hearts (FAME), Triforce Allegiance (BRAVO!), Spin Doctors (ROTC), Cymbalism (PEARL)