Login Create Account
Event Hosting Confusion
mikeoleary
Hey everybody. I have a question I'm hoping one of you might be able to answer.

So when you host an event, the venue only allows a certain amount of people, and for a lot of events the attending audience exceeds the amount of available spots. Do these overbooked members still add to the amount of money you receive at the end of the season?

Thanks
Michael O'Leary
Founder and President, ROYAL
Founder and President, REGAL
Board of Directors, BoA
Board of Directors, MGC LC
Director of Bands, Royal Spades
FMA Commentator
Kiwidrummer
Mike, I'm not sure. I have seen overbooked events. If it is your event, take the money coming in and divide by your ticket price. That should give you an answer as to how many paid.

Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
mikeoleary
The problem is that I'm wondering this about league events, which gives no indication as to the amount of money made from an event.
Michael O'Leary
Board of Directors, BoA
FMA Commentator
Kiwidrummer
Ah, ok. I haven't founded a league, so never see that screen. Didn't know league events don't show income.

Jim Helsel
mikeoleary
Alright. Well thanks anyways. Let me know if you hear anything.
Michael O'Leary
Board of Directors, BoA
FMA Commentator
Kiwidrummer
Cool....and if you find out, let me know also. Always curious to the ins and outs.

Jim Helsel
FastForward
Yes, any hosted event will pay out income based on all attendees times the selected ticket price. Generally speaking, I have only seen league events exceed the maximum number of attendance listed available. I have not seen any individual events hosted by an FMA group outside of league events actually exceed the attandance maximum. However, I have not really paid close attention to league events run by a league member but added to the league show schedule. It is possible that some group may have individually exceeded the maximum attendance number when hosting a show that is added to a League. I doubt that is the case though.

FastForward
Corps: Spectrum Force
Band: Full Spectrum
Guard: Light Spectrum
Drumline: Rythmic Spectrum

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
Director of FastForward, Inc.
Kiwidrummer
Thanks FF. I have only seen it in league events also. I kind of guessed the league would make the money, as a spectator can't get in without paying. But I wanted to be positive incase of it possibly being a glitch in the programming.

Jim Helsel
mikeoleary
Yeah. It's just weird that the audience can exceed the minimum. So it didn't make much sense to me that if the audience attended the events past the available capacity could keep adding to the overall money return of the event. For example if the attending audience was 950/800 and the ticket price was $10, would you make $8,000 or would you make $9,500? If there is no limit to the amount you can make from an event and you make $9,500 then that's cool, but it raises a lot of questions...
Michael O'Leary
Board of Directors, BoA
FMA Commentator
FastForward
FMA would need to make sure all maximum Capacity issues were being followed (I.E. Fire Codes, Etc.) if the attendance of an event exceeded the actual spectator seating ... Just Kidding ... LOL !!!

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
mikeoleary
Ha ha! Yeah, It's not really the realism aspect that bothers me, but more the sense of not knowing. Also, if capacity doesn't really matter and you do get paid for overflow audience members, then it kinda deters from investing in larger venues. I mean, if you can make the same amount of money as the more expensive venues without changing the ticket price, what's the point of paying more for the bigger venues other than more ensemble spots? Also, I understand that the realism of audience members isn't all that important, like if there are like 50 extra people than the maximum capacity, that would make sense. Some people would be willing to stand or something, but there are some pretty ridiculous numbers coming from my league events. For example, the ROYAL-Houston Regional's venue seats a max audience of 1,200, and the attending audience is 2,132. That's nearly 1,000 people beyond what the venue allows!
Michael O'Leary
Board of Directors, BoA
FMA Commentator
FastForward
If you want to see even more examples of the potential audience overflow just look at the MAoMA prior season ending shows. I believe 12K or more audience showed up for a 6K event. Again 2x the supposed maximum audience size for a league event. I have found that the bigger the event the bigger the actual overflow number becomes. It is actually not a bad thing to host bigger shows if you can get the event to fill up as well as attract higher influence groups. From my experience, hosting a smaller event on a non league show basis lowers your revenue to the actual max attendance or less depending on the influence of the attending groups. However, hosting a bigger event at a lower Ticket price may potentially increase your Revenue if you can fill the event with groups that have high enough influence. Even with the higher show cost.

Hope that makes sense.

FastForward

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
mikeoleary
I understand that, but it partially takes away the value of upgrading event venues because audience capacity is basically meaningless, that's all. You'll still make more money with bigger venues because of influence but still, having twice the max capacity is pretty weird regardless of venue. In the end, it's beneficial for the event host because you get more money, so I'm not complaining it's just a little odd is all.

On the other hand, I'm still not 100% as to wether or not you receive money from the overflow audience. If you don't, that would level the playing field and would be a bit more realistic because if the event was overbooked, the people they couldn't fit in would probably get their money back and the maximum event capacity would have some value again.

So the way I see it there are three scripting scenarios here for the formulas regarding audience overflow.

1. Alex intentionally allowed for audience overflow and allowed us to generously keep the money from the overflow audience, or accidentally created overflow and simply felt it didn't need to be fixed or was useful for something administrator wise.

2. Alex accidentally allowed for audience overflow and felt it was too complicated to patch (or the error was useful for something administrator wise) and to compensate for the error, set a restriction so that overflow audience members do not add to the overall profit of the event.

3. Alex accidentally created audience overflow and either hasn't noticed it, or plans to fix it in the near future.

And I still don't have a definitive answer as to wether or not overflow gives extra money or not.
Michael O'Leary
Board of Directors, BoA
FMA Commentator