Login Create Account
drum corps audition
Kopar199
So next month i am auditioning for a drum corps for the first time in my life, and while i am very excited, i am also very nervous, and would love some tips. If it helps I am auditioning for the hornline (trumpet) and the corps I am auditing for is a new corps opening in OKC called Freedom. Here is a link to the music i will be playing also http://www.freedomdbc.com/?page_id=162 Thanks!
Tornado Regiment
Pride of Harrah Marching Band
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
Kopar199
Oh, I also could use some advice on how to get my mother to let me march if i do make it.
P.S. The three main reasons she doesn't want me to are 1. I will be away all summer 2. I will miss my family moving (which i don't mind tbh) and 3 the dumbest of all, she doesn't want me to skip church for that long (I'm mormon btw) and she thinks me choosing DCI over that is like choosing it over God. stupid i know.
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
gcurrier
This is cool, I didn't even know there was a new corps! Since they are new I assume open class abs also assume more limited tour? That might help with mom. I'd also emphasize ti her the positive of the activity and how it will help you grow as a person and even as a Mormon! You'll be able to share your beliefs with others etc (whether you actually do it or not)... for try out make sure they knew your desire. Often more important than talent or at least as important.
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
Kopar199
Thanks, one issue I forgot to mention also was that mom is worried about money, even though it's only going to be 500-600 dollars for it, but Something else is that even though she keeps saying this, she keeps saying that i won't be able to with band, like she doesn't want me to do it, even though i have told her all the good it will do. I just can't figure her out.
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
nathanweisser
Hi! I'm the exec. of Freedom. I just wanted to share a few things.

You can go to dci.org/parents and there is some info for parents that really helps out. The big thing is that it is such a character builder, some parents even prefer their kids to march.

As far as you missing church.. you're not.
I am a youth and music pastor in my spare time, and we will have optional services every Sunday morning and Wednesday night. This is something I personally feel really deep about, and your mother can know that you will be in great hands.

About money and missing band - many high school students go march in corps, then come back to band and end up being some of the best marchers of all time. Now I can't speak for all band directors, but most encourage marching in corps. For the money, there are many ways to raise funds. There will also be corps-wide fundraisers to help out with personal fees.

Thank you! If your parents have any questions, feel free to call me at 405-971-4728.
Kopar199
Thanks Nathan, I am really looking forward to getting to audition this month, and if i make it hopefully i can convince her to let me march
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
Kopar199
less than 48 hours, oh my *freaks out*
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
Kopar199
I DID IT! I got threw my first DCI audition camp... And I was the only trumpet player...
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
ZombieRaptor1
The /only/ trumpet player??
Fixed Arrow - Drum Corps
Ronald Reagan - Marching Band
Facepalm - Color Guard
Chrome Thunder - Drumline

Crossmen '15 Above and Beyond
Crossmen '16 Continuum
Kopar199
Yes, as freedom is a new corps they are having a hard time getting lots I people out, but there are lots more coming at our next camp.
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard