Login Create Account
Tight Race in D2-Week 1 Review Drum Corps
alxmm98
For those of you who don't know me, my name is Alex, and im one of the new commentators for FMA. For now, I plan on doing a weekly review on Drum Corps. This week, the focus is on Division 2.

The landscape of Division 2 has changed tremendously since last season. Patriots and Northern Lights have moved on to Division 1, and many of the other corps that placed in the top 12 at finals last season followed them. There are many newcomers from Division 3, comprised of both finalists and semifinalists. So far, the competition has been stiff. There is absolutely no breathing room past the top 4 D2 corps in this season's top 30. The point difference from 18 to 12 is only .625. The race for a finals appearance alone, not even a medal, is extremely close. There is even a tight race going on within the top 4 itself. Four corps from the league CAMA are all in dominate positions above their opponents outside of the top 4, but within it there has been a constant power struggle this week. Park View is currently in the lead with a score of 68.755, but the other three corps, Rockingham, Ebenezer Elites, and Joel, are closely behind them and can easily jump them within the next few days. The point difference from 4th to 1st is only .3! It will be interesting to see how this battle plays out in the coming days.

The quality of shows coming from Division 2 this season are very high. The lowest score posted in the top 30 is a 55.935, earned by Las Patatas. Overall, the top 12 has had the same corps in it most of week one, but I expect that to change quickly after the shakeup that took place in the lower half of the top 30 last night. In total, seven corps moved down in the rankings. Notable corps that fell in the rankings include The Commonwealth Crusaders(FAME), Hawks(CAMA), and Legion(MDC-LC). Currently, the Buccaneers, The Panthers, Blue Streak, Chicago Blood, Twilight Brigade, and The Silver Sticks, are all fighting to take the 12th spot, which is filled in by Great Lakes Sound Drum and Bugle Corps at the moment. This corps is desperately trying to hold its spot, but its grip is everything but firm. Most likely all of the corps mentioned will be getting better scores tonight, and the rankings are subject to change yet again.

The top league in D2 so far has been CAMA, which currently has five representatives in the top 12, all of whom are in the top 5. Despite this dominance early on, there are other leagues looking to make a splash this season. Firestorm and Revolution are the only representatives from CLASS in the top 30 and are looking to impress their D1 counterparts. MAoMA is also looking to make some noise, with four of their corps in the top 30, the most notable being Twilight Brigade. The league FAME is second only to CAMA for representatives in the top 30. CAMA has seven while FAME has six, the most notable being Aftershock NZ B, who are in 6th, and Thunderbirds who are in 10th.

We already know who the top dogs in D2 are, so I wanted to introduce everyone to some of my sleeper corps going in to week 2.

5.The Commonwealth Crusaders-This corps is currently in 22nd place after dropping from a much higher placement yesterday. This corps was a finalist in Division 3 last season, so they know their way around the block.

4.The Panthers-This D3 semifinalist failed to make the finals in their first season last season after placing 15th. The corps is back and this season is practicing harder than ever to get into the top 12.

3.Buccaneers-Another D3 finalist last season, the Bucs have a legit shot at cracking the top 12 with their show Epic: The Story of Odysseus. The show features two pieces by Gustav Holst, Jupiter and Mars.

2.Chicago Blood-This corps has an interesting show concept this season, and it will be put to the test. So far, despite the tough competition, this corps has placed in the top 3 all four of their competitions this season, placing 1st twice. This corps is hungry for blood, and a top 12 birth this season.

1.Twilight Brigade-After placing 29th in D3 semis last season, this corps is back, and this time, is ready to make a splash. Their show focuses on three parts of the world; China, Mexico, and the Middle East. Ironically the last part of the show is titled "Middle Easy", considering current events, and the strength of the closer.

Overall, each and every one of the corps in the top 30 competed very well in week 1, but week 2 is on the horizon, and the heat is on. There is no time to waste in this division. Every single corps is fighting hard for a finals birth, and the only way to get there is to battle it out, with friends and enemies alike.

For a full review of D2, please visit http://www.fantasymarchingarts.com/stats/c/2/40/1

If you think I made a mistake or don't like something I said, or even just want to give me good feedback, please don't hesitate to comment or PM me. Thank you for reading.
Alexander Morales

The Panthers Drum and Bugle Corps- CLASS
Miramar Marching Mauraders- HOPE
FMA Hall of Fame Committee Co-Founder
FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
MrsRomo
d2 is always interesting. Great job, Alex!
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
alxmm98
Thanks!
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
RedEastMovement
Not fun to see Legion being portrayed in a negative light, but I will keep my head high and simply strive for more efficient rehearsals and hopefully better scores.
Invictus - CLASS
Der Reich - ENCORE (BoD)
Kanpeki - DRUMS
alxmm98
Hey RedEast i just noticed that u fell because u havent performed since the first. Im pretty sure ur gonna be right back up in the top spots tommorow
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
alxmm98
I said it was notable because I didnt see that u hadnt even performed. Same goes for Commonwealth i just noticed today. Sorry guys. After seeing that im expecting even more shakeups in D2
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
RedEastMovement
Again, its fine, I see no offense in this. This simply fuels my desire to be better c:
Invictus - CLASS
Der Reich - ENCORE (BoD)
Kanpeki - DRUMS
Kopar199
I'm glad you aren't offended, mostly because it is just a game, but also, because clearly alex wasn't just trying to put you down, he was stating the facts, so thank you for being reasonable, unlike some people would be. Your awesome!
Tornado Regiment
Pride of Harrah Marching Band
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
Kopar199
excuse me, you're
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
SalukiShaffer2
You were right about Great Lakes Sound. They did fall, but they're coming right back.
SalukiShaffer2
DC: Northern Lights
MB: Monster Marching Band
CG: Inner City Spinners
DL: Downbeat Cadets
gcurrier
great review! Always exciting to see a horse race in div 2! They don't get enough coverage!
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
alxmm98
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Really appreciate it
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
pidget
This is actually really great! I can't even bring myself to write an acceptable 500 word article about anything.

Also a comment about the Middle Easy part, it was actually a typo since I forgot Season 40 started and I had 3 minutes left before I missed an hour of rehearsal :P
alxmm98
Oh lol. Sorry. Was trying to be a little creative XD
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
Kopar199
I am so close to being in the top 30 of D2 right now, I just need to miss less rehearsal hours, but it's really hard with school and band, it's ridiculously hard
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard