Login Create Account
Aftershocks!!!
Kiwidrummer
Wow! We just had ANOTHER EARTHQUAKE here in New Zealand, about 50km from me. It was a 6.0 and was only 5km deep. No damage where I am, and thankfully the epicentre was in the middle of nowhere. My townhouse just rolled and swayed for about a minute. Was quite scary though as in Sep of 2010 we had a 7.1 just outside of Christchurch. This one damaged our garden city. Then in Feb of 2011, we had a 6.3 that all but leveled Christchurch, the second largest city in New Zealand. We lost almost 200 people in that one. Over 800 homes destroyed, and 2/3 of the city was destroyed. Rebuild has been slow, they are still taking buildings down, mostly due to us having well over ten thousand aftershocks of 3.0 or more, most in the 4-5 range. Ironically, they were the force behind our name, Aftershock NZ.

I just wish these would be over. Its quite nerve racking, never knowing if a bigger one is coming. This one today was 10km away from our Southern Island Alpine Fault, which they say is due to go anytime and will more than likely produce an earthquake in the 8-9.0 range.

In good news, AMI Stadium and Horncastle Arena were undamaged and the Drums Down Under series and Masters of FMA series will be held as scheduled. While the feasability of holding these shows here this season looked a bit shaky, both seismologists and structural engineers have given us the green light and reassured us that these landmark events may be held on the scheduled dates with no worries.

Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
MrsRomo
Glad to hear you are okay!!
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
Kiwidrummer
Yeah, thanks MrsRomo.....was quite scary, again. When they come, we never know how big it will be. The 6.3 in 2011 devasted us, especially after just having a 7.1 and no fatalities.

Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
AlanLovesMe
I hope you're okay JIM!
Defiant Hearts (FAME), Triforce Allegiance (BRAVO!), Spin Doctors (ROTC), Cymbalism (PEARL)