Login Create Account
Power Rankings-Week 2 Review Drum Corps
alxmm98
If you thought week 1 was crazy, then you're definitely going to be astonished by how hectic week 2 has been. In only seven days, the rankings in all divisions have been shaken, especially in division 2, where there is currently a new battle being fought for first place. Aftershock NZ B(FAME), Twilight Brigade(MAoMA), and Revolution(CLASS) have knocked out the former top 3 drum corps, and more corps are in hot pursuit. It seems that all the CAMA corps this season that are in division 2 have been slacking off at practices, and it is finally showing. At this point, unless there are major changes, there may be no CAMA corps in the top 12 this season.

Division 3 has shown great promise. The corps of tomorrow are competing hard, and it has been very intriguing to watch the progression of all of the shows. The top 12, just like D2, is very tight. Overall, there is no clear cut favorite in D3, because even though there are corps who have been at the top for awhile now, the most notable being Blue Hopkins(DCA) and Tarpon Springs(REGAL), as we have all seen in D2, everything can change in an instant.

In Division 1, we are seeing another exciting race, with CLASS dominating the top 12 once again, followed by rival league MAoMA. In a shocking development, Blue Deviled Eggs, one of the most famous corps in all of FMA, is nowhere to be seen in the standings. It appears that they may be inactive this season. Everyone hopes that this corps has not folded for good, and that they make a quick and powerful return at some point in time.

Based on all of the events that have unfolded over the past two weeks, in all three drum corps divisions, I have compiled a list of the top 10 corps that are on the rise in FMA. I believe that these corps will make a lot of noise in their divisions this season. Please keep in mind that these rankings are pure opinion, and are not meant to offend anybody in anyway. I have not ranked these corps based on scores or division, but rather their constant rise in FMA. All of these corps have a shot at competing for a high placement at finals this year.

10.Blue Hopkins(D3)- This corps is currently ranked number 1 in division 3, but is struggling to fend off its competitors, who are not very far behind them. Their show, which is a tribute to George Hopkins, can be very powerful at times, but the day to day improvement is just lacking. There are many other corps who can jump this up and coming corps, but they have still been very impressive, which is why they make my top 10.

9.Tarpon Springs(D3)- At the beginning of the season, this corps started out with a pitiful score of 49.010. They were in no way contenders. But, as many say, practice makes perfect, and this corps has been practicing harder than any corps in division 3. They are currently behind only Blue Hopkins in the standings. The show that started out as a confusing mess has turned into a visual masterpiece, and a true title contender. Expect this corps to have an amazing finals performance this season.

8.The Panthers(D2)-It has been a tough battle so far, but this division 2 newcomer has managed to jump many corps and make it into the top 12. Their show is one of the most powerful shows in FMA, and their wind section is the best in all of division 2. Still, this corps has a long way to go until they can contend for a medal.

7.Great Lakes Sound Drum and Bugle Corps(D2)-After falling in the standings last week, this corps is back in the race for the top 12. They have a compete show, and the hard work and effort that has been put in by this corps is just inspiring. Clearly, this drum corps is one of the best in division 2.

6.Carolina Royals(D1)-This five time FMA champion has put together an unorthodox show to try and compete with the top dogs in division 1. Their show, ''.'', is a very strong show, that doesn't waste any precious time. It is a very get to the point type show, and so far it has been a crowd favorite. In time, this corps will be very close to medaling this season.

5.Thunderbirds(D2)- Unexpectedly, this drum corps has been one of the best in division 2, and is clearly competing hard for a medal, and possibly a world championship. Their show, which features possibly the best opener in division 2, is simply amazing. It has been on point since day one, and up until now this corps has been overlooked. With the amazing performances this corps has been putting up night after night, I think its safe to say that the Thunderbirds have arrived, and are here to stay.

4.TIE-The Tullahoma Azure Force(D1), Twilight Brigade(D2)-I could not leave either of these amazing corps outside of my top 10, so I decided to rank them both number 4. Twilight Brigade has a great show that depicts the different parts of the world, with one of the best closers in FMA, and The Tullahoma Azure Force has kept up with the two division 1 powerhouses all season long. Both of these corps are going to make waves at finals this season. Don't be surprised if either of these drum corps wins a medal, or even first place. Many consider it to be a long shot, but anything can happen in FMA.

3.Aftershock NZ B(D2)- The B corps for the former division 2 world champion is shocking the FMA world. After being behind five corps, Aftershock NZ B rose atop division 2, and are looking to win it all this season. This corps has the staff and the financial support to make a run, and if they keep up the hard work at practices, then we may be looking at the second international world champions.

2.Nemesis(D1)- The greatest corps in the history of FMA is competing for another world title yet again after settling for silver at last season's finals. Their show, "The Dark Road Home", is one of the most beautiful shows the FMA community has ever seen. Nemesis is looking to add to its trophy collection, and this season, they are legit contenders. This corps is going all out at practice, and it shows at competitions.

1.Bluecoats(D1)- The Bluecoats are on one of the greatest runs in FMA history. They are looking to win their third straight world championship, and their fourth overall. Despite Nemesis briefly jumping them in week 2, this corps showed a lot of poise and composure and is now currently once again slightly ahead of their biggest foe. Time will tell if this corps will really be taking another victory lap this season, but one thing is for certain. The Bluecoats are the best corps in FMA right now, and its going to take quite a bit to force them off the throne.

Honorable Mentions-Miami Sound Machine(D1), Spectrum Force(D1), Revolution(D2), Samurai Regiment(D3), Kansas City Krown(D3)

Thank you for reading my review. I hope everyone enjoyed my review, and if I left your corps out, just know that making this list was not easy at all. I feel like there are about 20-30 corps who deserve recognition and who are competing very well this season. Please feel free to comment below. Thanks again, and good luck in week 3.

Alexander Morales

The Panthers Drum and Bugle Corps- CLASS
Miramar Marching Mauraders- HOPE
FMA Hall of Fame Committee Co-Founder
FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
MrsRomo
I appreciate how you intermixed all divisions, and didn't focus on just one division. Way to go! It was a great write up - I can't imagine how hard it was to do your power rankings!
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
MrsRomo
Double post oops
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
alxmm98
Thanks Mrs. Romo, and yeah it was extremely hard. I love doing it though :D
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
FinalFantasy
Cool write up :) Breaking news, Kansas City Krown just left FAME. I wonder why.. It'll be interesting to see where they go.
SalukiShaffer
Very nice recap. Division II is a bloodbath in spots 10-14, everyone trying to get their spot in the top 12. Be VERY interesting to see who makes a week 4 surge. I'm just looking to secure my spot in finals. Fending off the competition well so far. But Division II is a total war right now
SalukiShaffer
alxmm98
Tell me about it. Im in 11th place but thatll change once other corps perform tomorrow, including u i think. I think all the CAMA corps are going to be knocked out though. They dont seem to be progressing a lot. So maybe that will make room for other corps
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
Kopar199
I'm working my butt of right now to move up to top 12, but currently I'm top 25, but still fighting my way up still
Tornado Regiment
Pride of Harrah Marching Band
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
TrumpetVinny
ALWAYS 4TH
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
Aaron0316
Good job, Alexander. I'm anxious to read your next review.

I don't know what it is with most of the CAMA corps but from what I've always seen, most never compete. Their starting scores are always high but they hardly go anywhere.

Aaron Sickmeier, director of......

Dark Knights - (FAME, original founder)

Marching Elite - (ENCORE! original founder)

Dark Knights Guard

Equilibrium
SalukiShaffer
What's happening is that corps with lower challenge levels on shows get fast quick scores because the show is easy, but mid-season, groups with harder shows take a stand and make a run, pushing the corps with easy shows out of relevance. The harder the show = the higher the possibility of a high score = the more practice is required. Harder shows like "Dreams" by The Panthers, and "The Nutcracker and The King Of Mice" by Great Lakes Sound, are shows that are steadily rising up, because practice is making the corps better at a more demanding show. Show designers must always keep this in mind when designing a show. Not to make it too hard, not to make it too easy. It's a difficult balance issue, but corps who do it well often win it all.
SalukiShaffer
Kiwidrummer
With all my groups, I set my challenge levels to the highest possible and just practice their tocases off. I figure the way the game is set up, I would be hurting my groups If I didn't try to achieve the highest possible level of excellence.

In agree about the lower challenge levels, but it looks to me more like these groups just aren't really active. They've scheduled shows, but that's about all. These groups have only gained approximately 2 points so far this season, while my A groups have gained 15-17 points and my B groups average on 20 points gained so far. They may be fundraising, who knows. At their rate of progress, I knew it was only a matter of time before they would be passed by. It seems to be only happening in division II also this season. DII drum corps and marching band looks to be really interesting to see who does end up on top by finals. Anything can happen, as 2 seasons ago, Aftershock NZ Performing Arts School led DII the entire second half of the season after a steady climb up, won prelims, but then dropped down in semis to finish up in 6th at finals. And we maintained our rehearsals, so anything is possible on finals week.

Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
Kopar199
Yeah, I think you're right Kiwi, because at the start of the season I was Way down in the rankings, like 40th and I am now all the way up, and I've gained about 15 points this season.
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
SalukiShaffer
I've gained 17 points already this season. Challenge levels are what makes or breaks the whole season for sure. First few scores in Week 1 don't mean much if you have a hard show
SalukiShaffer
Solaris132
Hard shows, yes, because at some point, when we level everything up, there'll be even higher levels to choose from, making the hard show that was this season on the easier side of the spectrum.

Challenge Level X was the highest now to choose from, several seasons from now, Challenge level X is not, Challenge Level Z is.
Executive Paintducer: Ross Bobart
Chief Engineer: Geordie Leforge
Camera 1&2: Wayne Campbell
Audio: Ted E. Ruxpin
Lighting: Tom Edison
Boom: Goes the Dynamite
Eternal Love For: Bug n' Parker
Kiwidrummer2
I agree Saluki. Every season since I've been here, my groups start ranked very low, like 50 something out of 60 some groups. Yet, my groups always finish the season as finalists, with the exception of last season when my A groups moved to DI.

gcurrier
Great write up! We will look to give Bluecoats a run for their money in the final push. Leviathan also looking like they might medal after many seasons out.
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
Kopar199
^agreed^
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
alxmm98