Login Create Account
Trumpet high register tips
Kopar199
Does anyone have any tips for a trumpet player to increase their high register, because I ended up on first part at my drum corps audition camp, and have some high notes that i can't hit quite yet, and would really like to be able to hit them just right at the next camp. Any tips would help a lot.
Thanks!!
Tornado Regiment
Pride of Harrah Marching Band
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
ZombieRaptor1
I'm a baritone player so it may be different, but be sure to support with plenty of air (though this doesn't necessarily mean louder) and practicing long tones in higher registers can help. Though you should do at least some pedal notes after an extended period of playing high.
Fixed Arrow - Drum Corps
Ronald Reagan - Marching Band
Facepalm - Color Guard
Chrome Thunder - Drumline

Crossmen '15 Above and Beyond
Crossmen '16 Continuum
FastForward
I would suggest Lip Slurs, Long Tones, & Scales. Even extending a scale by an extra couple notes will help build range & endurance. Finally, focusing the air as well as the embouchure will help extend your range. All this will take probably 3-6 Months minimally in order to increase your range. Best of Luck.
Corps: Spectrum Force
Band: Full Spectrum
Guard: Light Spectrum
Drumline: Rythmic Spectrum

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
Director of FastForward, Inc.
cici2137
I'm a Tbone player, but my suggestions in my high school and college years would be using your pedal tones to increase your range and doing a lot of long tones. And like ZombieRaptor1 said, use plenty of air. Think of being able to play without putting your lips on your mouthpiece. If you have plenty of air you won't put as much tension on your mouth improving overall playing stamina.
Blue Commodores - ICE
Knights - MYNWA (BOD)
Shining Red - FLAG
18 Marchers - PEARL
CymbalismR3
I too am a trombonist, so the process might be a bit different, but one of my jazz teachers made us play chromatic long tones for 20 counts each and work up to a third ocatave concert B-flat. I came into my freshman year able to play higher than the seniors and juniors in my section because of that exercise. Just make sure you play lots of pedal notes after that one, or your chops will be very very dead the next day.
<< CYMBALISM R]|[ >>
Stormwind Drum & Bugle Corps
CARDIAK Drumline
[Insert Name Here] of Color Guardness
Borrego Golden Sun Regiment
cire
Heres what I learned at BD. To play high you need to play low. As mentioned, lots of air with pedals.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
cjbuckley1997
I think being in BD makes him more qualified than me, but my trumpet teacher had experience in 3 corps, including the Bluecoats in 2014, and he told me the same thing. The way he explained it, and I don't know whether this is the right way of describing it, was that it's easier to learn the right techniques in the lower register and transfer it into the high register than it is to just learn it in the high range.
Connor Buckley - Executive Director - White Star Org.

White Star - CLASS
White Star Cadets - ENCORE
Illumination - FLAG
Lithium Indoor - DRUMS founder

OAS AAS LLS