Login Create Account
Aftershock NZ Performing Arts School Takes First!
Kopar199
Hello, I am very excited today to write about The ever exciting division 2 finals competition! This year especially it was exciting to get the opportunity to attend after barely missing out on getting a chance to compete there myself. Luckily I got my Hands on some very nice tickets near the booth! Now onto what you all really want to here about.

After Arriving, I quickly found my seat, and got ready for the field competition. I had very high hopes for all of the bands competing, and wasn't disappointed when the first band, Saint Mark's took the field, and began their above average performance of their show "Jesus Christ Superstar". This was a beautiful show that made me 'oooh' and 'awww' many times due to the amazing musical quality and emotional level they had with the show: and despite having never seen the musical, I could tell it did it justice. Saint Mark's definitely earned their score of 74.290!

The next band to make an appearance was the Spirit of Central, performing their show "The Big City" A amazing show about big cities, but especially New York City. The show gave every angle on what it's like to live in a big city, and made it very exciting to boot! It was a well deserved 74.335! It was more than enough to barely pass up Saint Mark's to earn a 11th place finish!

Soon after the end of the previous performance, the next band took the field with an eerie beginning to there beautiful show "Four Dwellings" we had Highland! The intro was very spooky but provided a great start to the show about four different dwellings and what they represented, using the music to provide the depth that it needed to be not just a good show, but a great show. overall, it was a great show and earned it's 10th place finish!

Next to take center stage was Northeast, who blew me away with their execution of "carnival" a Show about the carny life. One of my Favorite parts of the show parts of the show was all of the polka music that was played. I also really enjoyed the tuba solo in the 2nd movement, a rare sight in Marching Band. They truly should have scored higher, but stilled deserved their score of 74.745.

Soon after Northeast left the field we soon had Shady Grove Sound enter the field! As they took the field there was a mix of emotions resting on the crowd from the exhilarating show entitled "Way of the Warrior" a beautiful show demonstrating the courage of many different soldiers from many situations. It was one of my favorite shows of the night, with a score of 74.905

The 6th band to take the field that night was The Asteroid Belt Band, with there show "41 Anticipants" which was about...something... Despite noing my lack of understanding of the show I could tell it was very well executed, and most definitely deserved their impressive score of 75.780! I really look forward to seeing them again next season, and hopefully I will understand it better!

Coming in 6th place with a score of 78.780 Performing their show "Tunnel Vision" we had the Knights! The show's music was all from the wonderful mind of Eric Whitacre, and it is entitled Ghost Train. Ghost Train is a beautiful piece that completed the show, that focused on literal tunnel vision, seeing only what we want to see, and nothing we don't. It was a simplistic idea that was translated into terrific show on the field.

As we entered into the final hours of the show, the final five began to prepare to take the show, and the audience began to prepare to see some of the most elite that FMA has to offer! And there couldn't have been a better band than the Thunder Outdoor Performance Ensemble to kick it off! they had an excellent run of there show "Push" which featured music from the song Push by Rob Smith. This show uses this music to help tell a story about the everyday push of the world, and how we all push in someway to keep the world moving. It was a very deep emotional story that earned it's right to be 5th with a 80.895.

Next to take the field for competition with there magnificent red uniforms we had the Cardinal Marching Band! They performed their show "Winter Warlock" Which featured a interesting story about the ice wizard, using several selections of music, including The old Woman, Wizards in winter, "chrismas Day" And my favorite part, The original music written by and for them. Overall it was a great performance, one that people will definitely will remember, especially with their 81.400 score!

As We entered the final leg of the evening, we the ever-amazing Aviators take the field with there dangerously epic rendition of The Lord of Rings music, that could put the original to sham in there show called "The Ring"! With the help of there well above average color guard, the Aviators pulled off an epic retelling of the original tale, but in an impressive 13 minutes! Easily My favorite music of the night, which reflected in their score of 85.675, and their shiny bronze medal!

With only two bands left to go before the event would conclude, there was a lot of excitement in the air as the Twilight Resonance took the field, which only increased the electricity I could feel! Twilight Resonance didn't have the most fans of the knight though, because some people were defensive electronics, due to their show "Apple" a satirical show on peoples electronics. It included movements for the Iphone, Ipad, and Mac. I would have given them the most comedic show of the night award along with there silver medal and 87.050!

Before they even took the field you could feel everyone's anticipation forthe last show of the night as they all got ready to see the biggest baddest band all season 40, Aftershock NZ Performing Arts School B! This was the band that everyone wanted to see with there amazing performance of the there show "Mystify" Which was performed as well as i could imagine it being performed! This show had everything that this band did perfectly, It had the Biggest Hits, the Most elegant ballad, and lines so straight that they made me feel gay! ok, ok sorry about that one... But truly this was a great first world championship victory for this band, and wish them luck in all future endeavors, especially after there Gold medal score of and insane 88.615!

Thank you all for reading, and participating on FMA, you all make this such a great environment to enjoy playing with, and such a great place to just make friends, and have a good time competing, and who knows, maybe one day some of us can compete against each other in real life too. I really enjoyed season 40 and hope season 41 is even better! very excited for it, and wish you all the best of luck!
Thanks,
Kopar199
Tornado Regiment
Pride of Harrah Marching Band
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
rhythmicthinking
Thanks for the write-up. Nice to read!

Congrats to Aftershock NZ B and to all D2 Finalists. Hope to see many of you in D1 soon.
Arsenal Drum & Bugle Corps
gcurrier
Nice write up
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
alxmm98
Nice
Alexander Morales

The Panthers Drum and Bugle Corps- CLASS
Miramar Marching Mauraders- HOPE
FMA Hall of Fame Committee Co-Founder
FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
Solaris132
Haha, totally forgot I named the show 41... something, anyway, season 41 is gonna be sweet.
Executive Paintducer: Ross Bobart
Chief Engineer: Geordie Leforge
Camera 1&2: Wayne Campbell
Audio: Ted E. Ruxpin
Lighting: Tom Edison
Boom: Goes the Dynamite
Eternal Love For: Bug n' Parker
Kopar199
I think it will be to, but I really couldn't figure out what your show was about, but looking at it now the name makes sense, it was 41 anticipants meaning anticipation for season 41, but i didn't think about that when I was writing it XD
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline
Tornado Color Guard
Solaris132
Rest Assured, "Space Rockz" will make more sense.
Executive Paintducer: Ross Bobart
Chief Engineer: Geordie Leforge
Camera 1&2: Wayne Campbell
Audio: Ted E. Ruxpin
Lighting: Tom Edison
Boom: Goes the Dynamite
Eternal Love For: Bug n' Parker
Kopar199
that's good XD
Tornado Regiment
Tornado Drumline