Login Create Account
DCI, Indiana's new law and finals
gcurrier
As many of you might be aware, there is a large push to move DCI finals out of Indiana after the passing of the new law there that allows businesses to discriminate based on sexual orientation. The basis of this law is that anyone in the LGBT community could be thrown out or not served at any business who did not agree with being LGBT based on their religious beliefs. DCI unfortunately unlike many organizations including the NCAA had a very lack luster response which I personally was insulted by as were many in the drum corps/LGBT and supporters community. DCI has always been a foundation for inclusion and they missed the mark here. Below is a petition from change.org and a fellow fan who feels dci should take steps to move future events. I share incase anyone is interested. Btw if you haven't seen it, Madison Scouts had an excellent response to the law. I wish DCI would have been so thoughtful in theirs.

http://email.change.org/mpss/c/pgA/SCE/t.1lr/cdiWqAM1Q02C3KeSkPAqcA/h5/W9oZwjoGX5ulRlet7FB-2BvHKkEqnLV0YUPJ01lSEXT0g2xkAv6dzgAhTgD1AdALewIdGjP9jbiyXn-2BuDgm5hbcU6uiom-2BKFbF-2Bv6pAT4YF4tmTszYoa0rJcRQAe3fkVzhhx5jse6OF0bariHqw5dIJqTOFkgQp6uPYMQZ-2BbKz6cyfQdiMpYVWp9VrCrb-2BnAMasY0GNhClevFLMvCRJI-2FjwUQ2zSV5W59MuuhL6rUnXb2m2Rgz2JeXhT0eiPtWKER-2BmVIw-2BsVWaBGGmZmLCtTjQwLl9TMRpQTflHudfilpiK5huOt6qFxJENRIp9z5lG553gcUqPJMBFbI6NkLpoRk0z41VZZOdMaq0AA3-2F0f9L32-2FZ-2Bu-2FlN-2BkX-2B3vzvZlhewvbMWNEJ7yYvzgjLlmSGi78w-3D-3D
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
ZombieRaptor1
While this sort of thing is very much unacceptable, being one of the B of LGBT myself. Lucas Oil is so unlike any other stadium, not only because of its dome, I've performed in the Alamodome several times and Lucas Oil outstrips it by far. I couldn't imagine playing my final notes and taking my final steps anywhere else, having performed there in a BOA Grand Nationald finals performance in the past. Also on a possibly lighter note, there's the matter of Steak and Shake being there.
Fixed Arrow - Drum Corps
Ronald Reagan - Marching Band
Facepalm - Color Guard
Chrome Thunder - Drumline

Crossmen '15 Above and Beyond
Crossmen '16 Continuum
echstrumpet8
I do think the law itself is beyond reason. Its unacceptable. But where else could the events be held? Lucas Oil is a beautiful stadium. The only other place I (personally) could imagine BOA or DCI championships being held is AT&T Stadium in Arlington, and it is probably more expensive to host in Arlington.
Bailey Knight
Pride of Peachtree (CLASS)
Peachtree Cadet Marching Band (ENCORE)
Spin and Rinse (FLAG)(Operator)
Renegade Percussion (PERC)(BoD)
saxamattone
Madison!

CLASS Board of Directors

Carolina Royals - 16X Division 1 World Champions (DC)
gcurrier
I agree. Madison easily is an awesome place for finals. Gillette was pretty awesome and honestly Montreal or buffalo was nice. Many probably don't remember but it USED to travel and fans AND performers liked it. It's easier for DCI is why it moved to Indianapolis. Not to mention many fans HATE the dome effect. I don't bother to much because I always sit close but it impacts further out no doubt. None of this is the point though. There is right aND there is wrong. Is it the best place for the NCAA too? Probably, but some things are more important. It's far from the only OR nicest stadium in North America, there are options to do what's right. Most importantly, they should have made a REAL statement at least not an eh...what can you do.

gcurrier
Though I do understand the Steak and Shake point. I concede that lol

Stradivarius
Only just now seeing this, but I signed it for the good cause. Kind of pathetic that such a law exists in the first place.
12 years later
FluteLoop
Although I love the fact that I can always make it to DCI finals (as I live in Indiana), I agree that the laws here do not align with the acceptance that DCI stands for. I've signed.
theamazing1
While I agree with all of this, I'm still gonna miss finals being at Lucas Oil if they move it... The stadium is amazing for that stuff... Too bad discrimination has to happen. While I am straight myself, I still am a huge supporter of the group and will do all I can to stop these things from continuing. I really hope this gets resolved and people come to moral realizations
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Golden Goats Marching Band ENCORE BoD
Scorch Color guard
theamazing1
Woah this isn't a new thing... I just realized when this was posted. Crazy, why haven't I heard of all of this.
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Golden Goats Marching Band ENCORE BoD
Scorch Color guard
cire
FYI.. Lucas Oil is a horrible place for drum corps. ANY dome is. It's a nice stadium though. The only good thing about it now, is that the horns are all quiet now in Bb.. I've performed in domes in G and that was even louder.

Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
cjbuckley1997
I don't get why they keep the stadium closed, even when the weather is good. I feel like that would help the acoustics a lot. I haven't been there personally, but I've heard the stories, and it's just ridiculous. I'm glad that my "home" regional is the Eastern Classic.
Connor Buckley - Executive Director - White Star Org.

White Star - CLASS
White Star Cadets - ENCORE
Illumination - FLAG
Lithium Indoor - DRUMS founder

OAS AAS LLS