Login Create Account
FMA Spotlight-Nemesis (Part 1)
alxmm98
For many years, FMA has seen some of the best corps hit the field. There have been many memorable shows, and many amazing moments within those shows. Since season 1 of the newly organized FMA, competition has been very fierce, and the quality of music put on the field has rivaled even DCI. Many corps have played a part in this huge success. However, out of all of the important corps in FMA history, very few have set the bar the way that Nemesis has over the years.

Nemesis, a corps residing in the small city of Burlington, VT, is currently the winningest corps in FMA history, with 11 Division 1 World Championships. The corps' success started out fairly quickly, when they placed 12th in Division 3 Finals with their first show, "Johan de Meij". After an average first season in Division 1, Nemesis won what would be their first World Championship with the amazing show, "The island". The very next season, the corps would return to its season 1 show, but this time, they would win a second straight D1 Championship, the first time any corps did this in FMA. However, the season after that ended in slight disappointment, as West Texas Thunder surprisingly defeated Nemesis in D1 Finals. But, again, the corps bounced back the very next season and barely beat out Epic for their third D1 title in 6 seasons.

And so, the legend began. The corps was named Nemesis for a reason. Among the other competing corps, Nemesis became a much respected and feared rival. Epic, one of the best corps in the early seasons, almost always finished behind Nemesis, and only by a point. This same trend would occur against other corps as well. After a decent season 7, the corps bounced back in a huge way in season 8, with their show "Sun and Moon", which is one of the greatest shows in FMA history. Throughout the season, the corps went undefeated. There was another impressive corps that season however. Sapphire Vanguard was trailing Nemesis the entire season, but got very close to jumping into the first place spot. Despite their best efforts on Finals night, Nemesis managed to hold on to their points lead and won by only a small margin. The very next season, the competition between these two corps was even closer. Sapphire Vanguard was clearly upset about losing to their rivals the season before, and went all in, actually overtaking Nemesis in points a few times. Then, at semis, Sapphire Vanguard got first place, and they felt very confident in their ability to hold the slight lead at Finals. Both corps blew the crowd away the next night, and it was very hard to tell who actually won. In the end, in what is remembered as one of the most contreversial scores in FMA history, the judges gave Nemesis the title, and they only won by .185 of a point. In season 11, Nemesis again defeated Vanguard in the same exact way with their show, "Still I Rise". They had been trailing Vanguard for a change most of the season, but at finals, in what was an almost magical performance, they managed to steal first yet again, cementing their place as the champions.

At that point, many corps believed that Nemesis just could not be beaten. However, this changed when the corps got a taste of its own medicine, as Blue Demons beat them at finals by just a point in season 12. Two seasons later, Nemesis once again discovered how it felt to lose in such a close way, when long time rivals Epic finally defeated them at finals, by only .23 of a point. It looked as if Nemesis had lost their edge. Then, one of the biggest shows in FMA history was put onto the field, and it captivated audiences all season long. Season 15's "Alexander Nevsky" will always be remembered as one of the best shows in FMA history. It was powerful, yet elegant at the same time, and it was clear that it was a Championship show all season long. Nemesis once again went undefeated, and won Finals gold for a 7th time.

When season 17 began, Nemesis was in a very close race to the finish. Their show "Untimely", explored 13 of the greatest composers of all time, and their early and unexpected deaths. It was a show that honored some of the best musical geniuses ever, and many expected the judges to enjoy that aspect of their show. The judges definitely viewed the show as very intelligent and traditional, but in a stroke of bad luck, it turned out that Nemesis was competing in one of the closest seasons ever in FMA. The point spread between all 12 corps was very thin, and it seemed like every corps was a contender. Still, Nemesis managed to get their highest score ever. Any other season, Nemesis would have won finals gold, but in season 17, another classic show narrowly defeated theirs. Many fans have their opinions on the two shows, but The Tullahoma Azure Force's show "Napoleon:an Epic Tale" barely beat Nemesis on finals night. Its score of 99.545 remains the highest score ever recorded in FMA Drum Corps history, but it only beat an equally impressive score of 99.470. Many still can't decide which corps had the better show, and even some of the judges that were present that night have had some doubts. In many people's eyes, these two shows were deadlocked.

Season 17 proved to be one of the most exciting seasons ever in FMA, and it showcased one of Nemesis' greatest shows ever. But, the season may have taken its toll on the corps. It may not be mere coincidence that the show was about unfortunate ends. After season 17, it seemed as if the Untimely demise of FMA's greatest corps had begun. Season 17 marked the end of an amazing era in FMA. Nemesis had died. Their winning would end, and the world would never see another Alexander Nevsky again.

That's what everyone thought.

Alexander Morales

The Panthers Drum and Bugle Corps- CLASS
Miramar Marching Mauraders- HOPE
FMA Hall of Fame Committee Co-Founder
FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
alxmm98
I didnt expect this write up to be so long, but this corps is just full of history and i couldnt resist putting it in two parts. Part 2 will be put up soon, and we will see the great conclusion to Nemesis' story, and the amazing rivalry between them and the Bluecoats, who will be my next writeup subject.
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
gcurrier
Great job so far! You've truly captured much of what we were about and what we were going for. I'm glad you've pulled out some of our shows and even "get" what we were doing. Can't always, but we will try to have a real theme each season, a true master of a show each and every time. I'm also thrilled to see the phases of our biggest competitors. Sapphire Vanguard was probably our first serious rival and maybe our hardest fought with a lot of close shows, Epic right in there as well and of course last in this series, Tullahoma!

One bit of trivia, back in this history, they weren't called West Texas Thunder! What were they called?

Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
contra2014
YESSSSSSS! This is great stuff!!
K.K.M.B.- 1x D2 Champion, 1x D2 Silver Medalist
K.K.C.G.- 3x D2 Champion
Drums forever- 2x D2 Silver Medalist
K.K.D.C.- 1x D2 Silver Medalist, 1x D2 Bronze Medalist
contra2014
West Texas Thunder was originally Darkness!!
K.K.C.G.- 3x D2 Champion
gcurrier
One other note, one thing I'm proud to say, all of these great rivals became great friends as well...nothing like winning off and on the field with these guys. You can be fiercely competitive, yet have a tremendous amount of respect and friendship. Hey if we can get along with the cocky Blue Deviled Eggs, we can get along with anyone lol ha i tease Cire and he isn't even here to harass lol

gcurrier
Correct! WTT was originally Darkness! I prefer the fear that instilled but I respect their name change. Hopefully back soon

gcurrier
Correct! WTT was originally Darkness! I prefer the fear that instilled but I respect their name change. Hopefully back soon

contra2014
Yeah, I think I like Darkness better, but I too respect their decision to change their name
K.K.C.G.- 3x D2 Champion
corndogshuffle
Awesome write up, can't wait for part 2!

Wish we could truly have been competitive rivals g, but somehow neither of us have been on top of our game at the exact same time. Haha.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120
alxmm98
Thanks for the support guys. And i actually didnt know they were called Darkness at first, pretty interesting. This write up took a lot out of me lol. But im so glad to see this support, it motivates me to not only finish this one, but to write more about the history of FMA
Alexander Morales

FMA Commentator
Former FAME President
gcurrier
There is still time corndogshuffle lol

I'm glad you feel motivated to do more, you do a great job and I think it's important for people to hear the history. It's also be very nastalgic for me lol

saxamattone
These are awesome!

CLASS Board of Directors

Carolina Royals - 16X Division 1 World Champions (DC)
gcurrier
I have a feeling Carolina Royals might be in my next round of competitors lol

rhythmicthinking
ok Blue Devils :^)
Arsenal Drum & Bugle Corps
TrumpetVinny
Technically the 99.545 was topped in Season 37.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
Kiwidrummer
99.590. Was this score during semi finals?

Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
Kiwidrummer
I see now. Season 17 - 99.545. Season 37 - 99.590.

Jim Helsel
alxmm982
Ah i see my mistake. Thanks guys. Still a very high score lol
Kiwidrummer
Lol Alex. It happens to the best of us. Still awesome research and writing skills. Will we eventually see your byline in DCW?

Jim Helsel