Login Create Account
Superstitions
cjbuckley1997
I was just wondering what people do on competition days out of superstition to contribute to winning.

Personally, I never walk to the beat of any opposing band, whether it's a gock block or drumline warmup or anything even, and if I accidentally fall in step with it I intentionally fall out of step to stop. It's weird and probably has no effect, but it makes me feel better, plus we were undefeated last year when I did it.

Any other stories?
Connor Buckley - Executive Director - White Star Org.

White Star - CLASS
White Star Cadets - ENCORE
Illumination - FLAG
Lithium Indoor - DRUMS founder

OAS AAS LLS
saxamattone
I like that one! Very cool :)

CLASS Board of Directors

Carolina Royals - 16X Division 1 World Champions (DC)
echstrumpet8
What the band does as a whole before competition performances is the band moms give every member a purple or yellow M&M (those are our school colors). Don't know if that counts as a superstition, but it isn't really a tradition.
Bailey Knight
Pride of Peachtree (CLASS)
Peachtree Cadet Marching Band (ENCORE)
Spin and Rinse (FLAG)(Operator)
Renegade Percussion (PERC)(BoD)
TrumpetVinny
I always have to pee as I walk into the field. I've never done a show where I didn't run to the bathroom immediately after except for pregame at UCLA.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
gcurrier
I know this is a little gross lol but it helped takes the pressure off right before we went on, the percussion line had a spitting contest to see who could spit the furthest. It started as a joke but then just started becoming a thing.

Another season (but only one season), we were annoyed we were getting beat by our biggest rivalry but this time they were even beating us in percussion which was really, well p×ss×ng us off lol they barely marched, had a really easy book, it just was annoying (but they were doing a patriotic show that people were all gaga over. during off field warm ups we started playing their cadence which they NEVER changed and was ridiculously easy. Sure enough we started building our score and gaining on them. So each week we did it. You should have seen the look on their faces when we were playing it as they went by to their warm up area lol we still lost that year, but it was only by like .1 and man did everyone know we really won lol
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
cjbuckley1997
Was this in drum corps?

White Star - CLASS
Illumination - FLAG

OAS AAS LLS
stowawaydude
Well, in marching band, the whole band always prayed together before heading onto the field. I'm sure that is a very common thing, but that's as much of a tradition kind of thing I can think of.
gcurrier
it was marching band for me
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
TrumpetVinny
Mostly drum corps for me. But I think it's just cause I drank a lot before shows so I wouldn't get cottonmouth.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
cjbuckley1997
I marched a show sick once and that happened, worst experience ever

White Star - CLASS
Illumination - FLAG

OAS AAS LLS
scooter92011
At my high school, the drum major would tap the top of everyone's shakos every football game and at competitions. I don't know if they still do that or not.
**FMA** Hall of Famer*
lilahjude
At my school, when we are preforming at Lucas Oil, we duck when going through a doorway. Also, our mello section always makes a llama with our hands and does a chant.
cjbuckley1997
I've noticed this season when we're pairing up to walk to the field (we always go 2 by 2) I always go on the right side. I'm not sure how it happened, but that's what I've done for this entire season

White Star - CLASS
Illumination - FLAG

OAS AAS LLS
lilahjude
@cjbuckley1997 same
ThomasIsBass3
These last two years, my percussion section has "broken bread" together during contest, homemade bread made by the bass captain, with the ceremony led by the Drumline section leader. We kinda sorta model it off of Christianity (many of us are Christian, and we do it just for fun with no intent, so it's not like sacreligious or anything) and the Last Supper because the section leader breaks it and hands it out after we say a prayer to our drum gods - Zildjan, Dynasty, and Innovative Percussion - because that's what we use. Lol
BASSic Productions:
The Lean Mean Green Fighting Machine (ICE President)
Norman North Drumline (DRUMS)
RedEastMovement
We have a thing where there is absolute silence on the bus on the way over to our competitions and our band director disembarks each bus, looking each of us into the eye. If our eyes were dead focused, then our warm ups would be really light. If we looked like we were off in space, he'd really make sure we got a GOOD warm up.

That being said, we've done pretty well in the local competitions here in Texas. Though we've never had a competition outside of region/area/state marching contests with our rival LD Bell though...
Invictus - CLASS
Der Reich - ENCORE (BoD)
Kanpeki - DRUMS
CymbalismR3
Well, one year our winterline did a show involving worshipping a totem pole and sacrficing people to it, so every section made up a Percussion god to pray to. Most of them were forgotten, but in the cymbals, we have a little ritual chant for Cymbala. It goes like this: Hya na na na! Hya na na na! Hya na na na! (repeat as needed) Hya na na na! SACRIFICE! We mark time through the whole thing, do a flat tap on the hya and an Eval/wave crash on the SACRIFICE because the prep lines up with the syllables.

For regular season we have a weird sort of band handshake we do before really important comps, and at finals we have a "Senior Circle" where everyone plays the show for the seniors one last time.

Oh and in the trombones we have a rehearsal tradition (kind of irrelevant) where one of the tuba players comes by and "checks" everyone's slide lock in the hornstack. It's a good way to teach new members to lock their slides, but sometimes we have to tell said tuba player about broken ones that don't lock.
<< CYMBALISM R]|[ >>
Stormwind Drum & Bugle Corps
CARDIAK Drumline
[Insert Name Here] of Color Guardness
Borrego Golden Sun Regiment
siaaidil98
My high school (secondary school as they call it here in Singapore) band wouldn't allow us to wear watches as they might scratch the instruments that we handle or may accidently knock one over.
B account for sia98aidil98

SIA Scouts (STADC) - S68 Div II Champs
SIA Esquires (STAMB) - S68 Div II Champs, S65 Div III Champs
SIA Diamonds - S68 Div II Champs
SIA Drums - S68 Div II Champs
Cordyanza
Our band tends to believe that the harder we collide with judges the more points we get ;)