Login Create Account
How did you get here?
corndogshuffle
I have always been a little interested in how people have developed their accounts. How long did it take you to become competitive, what did you do to get there, etc. Obviously recent events have made this topic all the more intriguing, but I've always wondered what constitutes the closest thing to a "typical path" taken to become competitive. Especially at the elite level.

Anyone who finds this interesting can answer the questions, but obviously we will learn a little more from answers given by "elite" players, seeing as how the elite players have already made it to the top. This is not specific to drum corps, or marching band, or color guard, or drum line, so don't feel turned away if you do not use all four groups.

What season did you join?

How many seasons have you spent campaigning for influence and/or money?

Do you host shows?

How many groups have you created over your time on FMA? Or, do you have B accounts?

After how many seasons did you earn your first DI Finals appearance?

After how many seasons did you earn your first DI top six finish?

After how many seasons did you earn your first DI Medal?

After how many seasons did you earn your first DI Championship?

For the last four you can sub in DII or DIII if you're a newer player who would like to participate.

If you can think of any interesting questions tidbits that don't apply to these questions feel free to include those, this is more to satisfy my curiosity than anything else. Thanks!
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120
corndogshuffle
- I joined late in Season 7, and my first competitive season was Season 8.

- I have never spent a full season campaigning for anything. Back before the rehearsal cap became 600 I would run campaigns at night because I wasn't about to wake up every four hours. I did spend part of Season 25/26 fundraising when I went to China, but I had no way to access FMA while I was over there.

Do you host shows?
- I didn't host a show until my 7th season. My first show (Season 14) only had five spots. Ten spots the next season. Twenty-five every season since then.

How many groups have you created over your time on FMA? Or, do you have B accounts?
- I have actually created two B accounts. One of them I created the season cire had to take a time out because Carolina Crown won DCI Finals. Wanted to give him a fight in DIII, but he didn't really compete so neither did I. I also created another one because I was curious how long it would take me to get another account competitive in DI, but I got tired of switching accounts so I stopped.

- My first DI Finals appearance came in my fourth FMA season, where my marching band finished 11th in their first ever season in DI.

- My first top six finish was in my eleventh FMA season, when I finished 5th in Season 18 (my eighth season in DI).

- My first Medal came from my color guard, who finished 2nd in DI in Season 23 in just their ninth season in existence. Season 23 was their fifth season in Division I.

- My first official Gold came in Season 28, when both my guard and band won. It was my band's 21st season and my guard's 14th season.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
cjbuckley1997
I'm a newbie, joined a couple weeks into season 45

No, but I fundraise at night, and I'm doing so for now in school until everything settles down

Do you host shows?
I'm starting to, and I'm hoping for them to grow in size in the upcoming seasons

I have a group in all four circuits, but I doubt I'll have the time or will to ever create a B account

It took me only 1 full season to medal in D3 for all of my groups, but D2 and D3 are going to be a lot more challenging, so I can't wait to see how I improve in the upcoming seasons
Connor Buckley - Executive Director - White Star Org.

White Star - CLASS
White Star Cadets - ENCORE
Illumination - FLAG
Lithium Indoor - DRUMS founder

OAS AAS LLS
Killerchessie
- Finals week of season 37

- 3 and midway through 1 season, 40, 43, 44, 45 (Midway 43, and 44/45 were due to me being on tour with the Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps)

Do you host shows?
- Pretty much every season (Knoxville Blues, Shameless self plug)

- No, but I would like to create won after I win Gold in DIV I (If that ever happens).

- Four Seasons (42), I didn't count 37 as a season.

- hasn't happen yet ( Clostest was 8th place)

- Hopefully this season.

- Hopefully this season.
corndogshuffle
Thanks cj. The biggest thing that made a difference in my groups was show hosting. If you do it correctly it is possible to host a 25 group show after just two or three seasons!

I medaled my first season in DIII as well and won the DII Gold in marching band and drum corps my second season in FMA. Things were a lot different back then (400 point rehearsal cap, nobody had been playing more than eight or so seasons on this version of FMA).

A lot of people probably give up right as they're about to turn the corner, but it looks like you're doing all the right things. I love seeing up and coming players become DI staples!
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
gcurrier
What season did you join? 1 baby, I'm one of the old foggies that was around for version 1 as well.

How many seasons have you spent campaigning for influence and/or money? Exclusively? I don't recall ever doing that. I do remember a few seasons early on where I had lots going on that campaigns ended up being the majority, but not exclusive. Like you when it was every four hours I also would campaign at night so I could sleep!

Do you host shows? I'm pretty sure I haven't missed a hosting season

How many groups have you created over your time on FMA? Or, do you have B accounts? Just the two and as I've previously stated, I have decided to only keep one actively playing at a time. They both will be around but given the focus on the non-active group they likely won't be top 12.

After how many seasons did you earn your first DI Finals appearance? 3, it was different back then. Everyone was new and on equal playing field so all it took was hard work to topple the big guys. The only thing holding me back the two first seasons is that I didn't yet have a smart phone. I got 12th in division 3 season 1 then 25th division 1 in season 2. Season 3 the smart phone comes along and BOOM, I win drum corps, marching band, guard and percussion (the first sweep ).

After how many seasons did you earn your first DI top six finish? Same

After how many seasons did you earn your first DI Medal? Same

After how many seasons did you earn your first DI Championship? Same couldn't happen today but it was different then.
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
MrsRomo
This requires me to do way to much research via my phone lol. Neat idea though
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
rhythmicthinking
I joined during S31 championships. I started my first actual season in S32, so all of the following statistics exclude S31.

5 seasons out of 15.

Do you host shows?
The Arsenal/MB Sound Showdown. (formerly the Texas D&BC Showcase/Texas Open)

4 on this account. I still maintain Arsenal DBC and Glass HS, but I no longer maintain The Artillery IPE or Forza Winterguard. I don't use B accounts.

DI - S42. That is 10 seasons.
DII - S33. That is after 1 season.
DIII - S32. My first season, I made DIII finals.

DI - Haven't made top 6. In S42, however, I got 7th place.
DII - Never made top 6 during my time in DII. The closest was 8th place in S35.
DIII - Only spent one season in DIII, where I got 7th place in S32.

Never medaled.

:^)
Arsenal Drum & Bugle Corps
corndogshuffle
Thanks to everyone posting in this... trust me, I'm reading every response thoroughly because I find them all interesting!
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
aetherealConsonance
Yeah, just FYI, I'm checking all these out too. It's interesting how much variety exists in your strategies, yet they all seem to be doing quite well. Seems to show the one thing that takes you anywhere is hard work.
Andy: FAME, BRAVO!, ROTC, PEARL

Spirit of Shitpost - Div 3
Fandom of the Barely Awake - Div 3
Aesthetic Dysfunction - Div 3
Memecore - Div 3
gcurrier
Totally agree aethereal! Anything easy isn't worth doing anyway!
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
CTrain
I joined in season 13 with the Atlantic Clarinet Choir, the formerly Chairville High School-now-Living Room Crusaders, Lunari Independent/Lunaria, and XYZ-Independent/XYZ-IW

I don't know, a lot, I guess, I haven't been keeping track

Do you host shows?
Yes I do, Show at the Shore evolved into the Freakin FCC (Fantastic Coastal Cavalcade)
Musical Chairs evolved into the Various Living Room Crusades
Flags Everywhere! evolve into Throwing things at the moon, which evolved into Moon Dances, and various Moon related themes... from the moon
The only thing I think was consistent was the Alphabet Soup, hosted by XYZ (the last three letters of the alphabet)
I'm not hosting this season because, well, I joined late,

I've created The Atlantic Clarinet Choir D&BC, as well as their B group, the PAcific Double-Reed Ensemble (The other woodwind inspired drum and bugle corps), Living Room Crusaders and the Kitchen Brigadiers, Lunaria and Deimophobosaria, and XYZ-IW, XYZ-2.0, and lastly XYZ-2.1.1 (for the sole purpose of changing the founder of the Cartesian Drumline Circuit, something my former roomates and I -other relatively notable FMAers: MathMan, Solaris132, Beardman, and I started and hoped would gain attention, buuut, anyway, that's, and they as you well know, are a WHOLE nother story, I'm sure they'll return to the game soon, they still live with each other, I moved out due to my job, like I said, whole another story.)

The first group tot make D1 finals was XYZ, the drumline, I was super excited.

It was Season 31, back when CDLC was still a thing for my roomies and myself, we got 10th for the Drumline, it was our second me-actively-participating-in-D1 season, Lunaria and Living Room Crusaders were both in 13th that season, and the ACC D&BC was in 14th.

Following that season, I became less active, but then made a comeback with XYZ finishing 12th in season 39 with their show "Titles are for Squares, Like Pants!", that season was the first time Lunaria made finals, 11th place.

Eventually all my groups made finals in D1 multiple times, 14 D1 finals ribbons at the current count, I don't see that going up this season, but maybe the next, who knows?

Well, XYZ's first top six finish was in season 42, so, a lot of seasons.

I have yet to earn a D1 medal, however, XYZ did win D3 way back when, and I'm not too sure about where I got those D2 Silver Medals, or those D3 bronzes, but, D1 may be well a ways out but, I see it happening, someday... hopefully, maybe.. kinda..

Well, Imma sub this for D3, XYZ won D3 in season 15, my third active season in D3, before going up to D2.

For the last four you can sub in DII or DIII if you're a newer player who would like to participate.
OAS, AAS, LLS. RTN. F.S.
Tennessee... Where your thermometer and calendar often disagree.
FMA HoF Member
Pandora1
How did I get here?

I did a search for marching games

not sure why this matters, but i'll answer. I've never campaigned for influence. I earn influence naturally by events and leveling up. I did some fundraising for a few seasons when I first made it to d1 to be more competitive.

Do you host shows?

always

again not sure why this is important but i only have 1 account.

season 41: drumline (10th), marching band (7th), colorguard (9th).

n/a

never

again never, but it took me 3 full seasons to get 4 d2 medals... at the end of season 38 all my groups earned medals : a silver and three bronzes

FAME, BRAVO!, ROTC, PEARL
corndogshuffle
If you're not sure why it's important just don't answer dude. I feel like I made it pretty clear why I find this "important" though. I think it's interesting to see what groups did to get where they are. This was sparked by FF but I thought I could try and have a positive conversation about this sort of thing. Sorry if that bothers you.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
Pandora1
If it bothered me, i wouldn't have answered, dude, and btw i'm not a dude :-P I just think that this witch hunt for who is honest and cheating has gone on too long. if alex didnt want people to campaign, it wouldnt be part of the game. if alex didnt want people to have b accounts, there probably wouldnt be any. what bothers me is when people put down other people for playing the game differently. you never campaigned exclusively and have been quite successful,.. good for you. some of us still want to be competitive with the older groups and thus need some funds even to catch up only slightly. it doesnt mean everyone is a cheat like ff if they fundraise or have b accounts.. therefore those two questions aren't necessary.
Pandora1
and by put down, i mean, heavily criticize groups for using campaigns to be competitive. I've seen a comment or two strongly implying that groups who fundraise aren't as "good" as groups who have never taken off a season or two to fundraise. I guess this is the difference between a group who has been playing since season 1 and a newer group who still wants to be competitive with older ones. it's only wrong when it's being abused.. like ff did. we all know it was wrong and even he/she knows. he or she's too stubborn to admit it or say sorry. nobody is better than anybody in this silly game though. let's end the witch hunt and just play and be happy and ignore the cheaters :)
crowleylex
I doubt, corndog's questioning was meant to "put down" anyone. If anything, it's meant to prove a point to FF that you can still have success in the game without cheating.

...but what one person considers cheating is not the same to everyone. I, too, have taken off some seasons to raise some funds to upgrade staff, but I used only the resources available to my ONE account. I've never been shy about it either. When you're thrown into division 1 after only playing on FMA for a couple seasons, it's discouraging going up against the veterans.

Also, I understand how this line of questioning can be misconstrued as an interrogation. Ever since this FF ordeal, it's been a madhouse in the forum with finger pointing and "measuring of manhood" so to speak regarding who is the bigger, better, fairer, most successful player, who might be cheating, how many farming systems exist, etc. I'm ready for all of it to blow over, so everyone can get back to having fun and playing again.

Patriots, Soaring Sound, Crowley Auxiliary, Ear Drummers <-- (PEARL FOUNDER ;))
Pandora1
I like the idea of asking how everyone got started. That doesn't bother me. but those two questions I sensed were thrown in very passive aggressively to get an idea of how often people campaign to be competitive and get an idea of their stance on the issue. it's obvious that those two questions are closely tied to corndog's recent comment about how he's never campaigned to be competitive. it gives me the impression he feels he's somehow played the game better than others because of it.

there's nothing wrong with taking time off to fundraise. personally i think campaigning for influence is a stupid idea but i don't think people who do it have played the game worse than I have. they're just using a different strategy.. and again i don't condone what fastforward has done.. but i don't have a problem with someone choosing to be less competitive for a period of time in order to improve his or her group by campaigning.

and.. what really bothered me was the tone of his response to me.. It's difficult to read someone's tone, but I read it as, if I don't like it, I can go **** myself"..but was stated passive aggressively lol ,, and he called me "dude" lol I wasn't trying to be rude.. I really thought that those two questions were unnecessary. if you want to say you're better than everyone because you've never campaigned, don't be so passive aggressive about it.

Aaron0316
Fastforward, is that you? (LOL) Just kidding. Pandora, calm down. Take some Midol, sweetie. I really don't believe that, that is what corndog has meant. I kind of feel like you're being rude to someone for whom I have much respect. Let's get it together please. I know you're better than that.
Aaron Sickmeier, director of......

Dark Knights - (FAME, original founder)

Marching Elite - (ENCORE! original founder)

Dark Knights Guard

Equilibrium
corndogshuffle
First of all (and this is something you couldn't really know because you don't know me in real life), I don't believe in passive aggressiveness. If I'm going to call someone out, I'm going to call someone out. Read any post where I'm speaking directly to FF and you'll see what I mean.

I think my first paragraph in my original post stated in pretty black and white terms what I was looking for, so I'll post it again.

"I have always been a little interested in how people have developed their accounts. How long did it take you to become competitive, what did you do to get there, etc. Obviously recent events have made this topic all the more intriguing, but I've always wondered what constitutes the closest thing to a "typical path" taken to become competitive. Especially at the elite level."

I was and am very curious about campaigning because I never did it and can never know the impact directly. I've always thought that one of the reasons it took my groups so long to become competitive in DI (outside of color guard which was instantly competitive, and drum line which has never been competitive) is because I never took the time to campaign. I had a few really rough seasons where if I had decided to campaign instead, I think things would have been much different. I didn't start in Season 1 either by the way. Yes, I've been around longer than most. But it took me a long time to catch up. And yes, I've had strong words about campaigning, but those have always been directed specifically to FF and have always dealt with his particular brand of influence farming. If they didn't come across that way it was poor word choice on my part.

Another thing I didn't do for a long time was host shows. I think that might have been my biggest downfall early on. Having no income besides whatever funds I could scrap together by running campaigns while I was asleep set me back big time.

And as far as the "multiple accounts" question, I just wanted to see how many players got to be successful who employed influence farming. That's the one question that I'll admit was a little bit loaded, but I've seen the answers I expected to see anyway. I've seen several quality players who employed all the tools at their disposal but never had to resort to creating thirty groups to pump themselves up.

You don't know me so I'm sorry if it came off wrong... but take what I say at face value. If I have a problem with a specific player, I am not shy about stating my opinion. If I say I am asking questions purely out of interest, I actually mean it. As I said before, yes, this post came because of FF. But I only asked these questions out of genuine interest in the subject.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119