Login Create Account
Living on your own
rtloveless
So I am moving out of my parents house in roughly 2 weeks, perhaps less. I won't have internet during that time, which sucks hardcore and I won't be on here. I'll have to go to McD's or something. But Anyway, was anyone scared or nervous the first time they moved out. I'm not talking about college dorms either. I'm taking apartments, or a house. I do have a roommate. Which is nifty. Splitting a $485 rent, plus electric. But Still nervous as hell.
Ryan T. Loveless
JohnSousajunior
yes
Prof
Yes I was. But when I moved out of my parents house is was before electricity and I was scared of the dark. < insert rimshot>

Seriously ? Yes, a little nervious but at the same time after experiencing the freedom of being on the road with drum corps I couldn't wait to get out.. I was the youngest in my family and my parents were older. Looking back on it I should have stayed as long as I could.. sigh...........

But from an old phart let me say a few things.

1) take care of your teeth. One day you will be entering your 40's and anything you negelected will cost you both pain and money. Dentists usually live in BIG houses that you pay for.

2) stay in shape and take care of your body . When you hit 40 your body starts to fight back, when you hit 50, your body wins. If you've had any broken bones, learn to trust them in reading the weather. It's not just an old wives tale.

3) Get a lot while you're young and I'm not just talking about real estate.< insert rimshot>

4) Learn how money works and make it work for you. Don't become a slave to banks and lenders

5) If the deal sounds too good to be true, it is.

6) Take time to help old people and listen to what they say. They didn't get old being stupid. Some of the best advice I receive today is from people in their 70's and 80's. It's amazing how they can help you through any crisis.

7) Think at least twice before taking a chance. Lawyers also cost alot of money and not all police officers are "officer friendy".

8) Spend time with the sick and the dying. They need you and you need to see and understand what's important in life.

As I tell my students: While you're here, you live in a protected society ( private school) Once you graduate and leave us there will be a whole world filled with many people looking to pick your pocket, steal what you own and kick you when you're down. Pick your friends wisely and build a network of friends that you can rely on for a lifetime.

Back in 04 I was struck down by one of those bizarre illnesses that no one has ever heard of and spent 69 days in the hospital. I died -flatlined twice and was brought back. I was never supposed to live, then they said I'd be in a nursing home the rest of my life, then they said I'd never walk again. I had to learn every motor function all over ahgain as if I was a baby. I was back teaching in 6 months. Only a small part of that was because of me ( I had to take over running my rehab and making "lesson plans" for the therapists to follow) .. Mostly it was because of friends who did everything possible to urge me on. Most of those friends were old drum corps friends I had not seen in 30 years who came running when they heard.

Had it not been for those everlasting friendships, I would not be here today. Keep that in mind as you go out into the world and begin building YOUR lifelong friendshi
Alex
 -infinity
A very open and inspiring post Prof. Thank you for that!
Prof
Thanks Alex,

I'm not a very smart person and I'm blessed that God gave me an ability to run a band and teach music. ( because of drum corps ) I use music as a medium to teach life. I have some students that are the type that get full scolarships to Brown and other Ivy League schools. These kids are brilliant and usually end up knowing more about music than I do but what I can do for them is teach them not to make the stupid mistakes I did. Common sense can't be found in text books.

As opposed to other directors and the egos' I LOVE it when my kids correct me and show what they have learned

As I tell them, be better than me, it won't hurt my feelings, in fact when you can teach me, it makes me proud that you have become my equal and look forward to when you surpass me.

I have two students now in college on full rides for music that make more money doing side gigs than what I make teaching. I love it and the bonus is that they come to the band room to help anyway they can and teach the younger kids private lessons for free.

Never be afraid to admit your shortcomings. People onlly dislike those who pretend to know everything.

Ok, I need to shut up, my ADHD medicine has kicked in and I'm in a pontification mood.......maybe I'll go rattle some cages on DCP :-)
BlueDevils
Prof- You may be the best person I've never met.
DC: Blue Demons Corps
rtloveless
Well the reason I'm nervous, I'm 19, never been out of the "nest", and it's just scary that I'll be responsible for EVERYTHING. I can't seem to keep solid friends, must just up and leave, or never talk again, or forget about me. Then there are those who turn their backs on people and use people. I don't have many solid friends, and they are hard to get a hold of.
Ryan T. Loveless
flamtap
I didn't ether, until I started marching drum corps. Totally different story now.
Prof
Ryan,

Grab a few BS&T and Tower of Power albums and you'll be fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v96P_AXzto
rtloveless
Eh, not really my music. I prefer my classic rock and ska. But I'm more or less worried about how to transport all my shit from point A to point B. Safely. I mean, the clothes, I'm not so worried about. It's the computer desk, mattress and computer chair I'm worried about more. I'm trying to think of everything I'd need for the first night.

-Cell Phone/Charger
-Laptop/Charger
-Mattress
-Blankets/pillows
-Clothes
-Desk
-Chair
Hopefully we'll be golden. I don't know yet though. Some how I need to get a hold of a truck.
Ryan T. Loveless
Prof
listen to the words
rtloveless
I can't. If they don't grab in an instant, I can't listen to it, I'll end up tuning it out. I do it at work at lot whenever country or rap comes on.
Ryan T. Loveless
jnp
How far away are you moving ?
cire
You will survive. Unless you die.. but then again if you were you dead, it wouldn't matter.

The first time I was away was for a little bit of my time in college, then I joined the military. It wasn't so bad though because I was in BD for 4 years, so half the year I was gone anyways.

My best advice... don't blow your money. If you can wait a month to buy it, chances are you probably don't need it. Make your own food and don't get fast food.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
rtloveless
I'm moving 5-10 minutes down the road from my house, in an apartment, but I'll be in a different town :/
Ryan T. Loveless
Prof
So, you can walk home if you forget something............

rtloveless
Hahaha. Naw, I'd still need to drive back. It's 5-10 minutes on a good day. Usually the road is pretty packed.
Ryan T. Loveless
rtloveless
Just moved in yesterday. Got our internet installed today. :D
Ryan T. Loveless