Login Create Account
Drum Corps or Band?
Kiwidrummer
OK, so this seems to be the latest craze on FB. Seems like a case of mistaken identity or just plain ignorance, unless you're "in the know". But, is the line becoming blurred? I'd love to read everyone's opinion on this.

Personally, I'm old school. Drum Corps is drum corps, and Marching Band is marching band. At what cost do we defend this though? If marching band is the term that gets people into the stadiums, then the bigger picture is accomplished. Let people experience it and decide for themselves. What are your thoughts?

Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
Aaron0316
When I was first exposed to DCI in the early 90s, I called it marching band, but people were very serious about making the distinction to the point that I was yelled at for calling it marching band. Therefore, I learned the difference. Although today not much separates DCI from marching band as far as the types of shows being produced, I still believe that it is important to understand the differences.

Drum corps has a rich history. DCI always has been in a league of its own as marching music's major league. Young people from around the world, the best of the best who audition and earn a spot with marching music's elite, unite to produce high quality shows and intense competition. What's also made it unique and powerful and has separated it from marching band is that drum corps are only brass, percussion, and guard. Moreover, the arrangements are different, too. Arrangers have the difficult task of taking music intended for full orchestras and bands and transforming it to fit only brass and percussion instruments (and now keyboards). When you add the element of marching, drum corps is in a class of its own.

Furthermore, marching band shows are compared to drum corps shows (at least they were when I was in school.) Many bands want to be as good as drum corps. If you can produce shows like these corps, you're a bad ass band. When I was in high school (this is probably still true), bands looked up to corps. Musicians and dancers aspire to be in corps. Almost any musician in high school can join the marching band, but corps are the best of the best. It's a different experience. Much of the training that marching band members receive comes from the instructors who have marched drum corps.

DCI has evolved significantly. Nowadays much of what people experience at a drum corps show is similar to what they experience with marching bands, but perhaps they should ask themselves, "what am I experiencing?" Is it just a bunch of people marching around a field with instruments performing shows that may be similar to what they see at halftime? If that's as far as they want to take it, so be it, as long as they are excited to support the activity. If they are as passionate about drum corps as I and several others are, they will look further and understand the distinction between drum corps and marching band.

Aaron Sickmeier, director of......

Dark Knights - (FAME, original founder)

Marching Elite - (ENCORE! original founder)

Dark Knights Guard

Equilibrium
Kiwidrummer
I completely agree Aaron. Oddly enough, I've even seen DCI corps members say "it's just band". Oh how the culture changes.

Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
cire
Instrumentation aside.. the main difference is attitude and excellence.

Anyone that goes from drum corps back to marching band knows that marching band all of a sudden sucks. horribly.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"