Login Create Account
"Despite This, I Still Believe." Intro Details
RedEastMovement
I don't know why, but I felt compelled to write this out just now. This is the details of the introduction to Der Reich's Season 54 production, "Despite This, I Still Believe." For those who either aren't in ENCORE! or haven't read my explanation of the production, it is a production dedicated to those who lost their lives in the June-July 2016 high profile crimes and terrorist attacks across the globe.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Der Reich is a marching ensemble that will march approximately 400 members this season, with 100 of those members being part of the colorguard. With the remaining 300 band members, a three man team is formed as two carry the casket of a colorguard member and one carries the team's instruments behind the casket. The goal time is that in 5 minutes, the entire front sideline must be evenly spaced with the caskets, with the battery and winds forming two distinct lines parallel to the front sideline, heads bowed to display reverence to the dead. "Fake" weeping through the sniffing of onions in the tunnel can be considered if and only if it will not affect the performance of the member.

Instead of a traditional salute, the two assistant drum majors, located on both 30 yardlines, will begin "babbling," with each fighting each other through the use of microphones after the announcer permits the beginning of the performance. The fight is over which tragedy was more catastrophic and tragic during the months of June-July 2016 and which movement resulting from that tragedy should be more promoted in the media. The head drum major, on the highest podium on the 50 yardline, will have been in a stoic, unmovable stance until he has had "enough."

This is the head drum major's script:
"You idiots! Don't you see that regardless of all the bickering we have now about which tragedy should have been more promoted or which movement really matters is futile? They cannot bring back all these dead!

[PAUSE]

I don't think any of these people who had died would want to see that their deaths had not done anything for the world but cause even more turmoil and grief."

After addressing the two fighting drum majors, clearly humbled before his wisdom, the head drum major then addresses the crowd:
"You know....I do believe that so much death and destruction in this world does not mean that we should give up on humanity. That we should give up on hope, on God, on the future."

As he says this, each of the caskets will slowly open their lids from the inside, each colorguard member, clothed in different costumes to signify the diversity of lives lost during the summer months, will be ready for their first appearance. At the same time, each wind and battery member slowly readies their instruments.

The drum major will give a slight pause to allow the band to fully ready itself. Then, he will utter these final words:

"Despite this, I still believe...."

As each word leaves his lips, ALL drum majors will execute a heel turn, and with batons in hand, conduct the band in Aaron Copland's "Simple Gifts." While the band plays, each colorguard member will remove themselves from their caskets, amazed and surprised at the fact that they seem to be no longer "dead." As the final chord hits, the colorguard, elated and celebrating with dance at their apparent "resurrection," from another horizontal line in front of the band, holding each other's hands high as if in victory over their death and departure from this world.

A slight pause will be held to let the crowd applaud, if it chooses to. If not, the drum majors will simply move onto Act II without hesitation.
Invictus - CLASS
Der Reich - ENCORE (BoD)
Kanpeki - DRUMS