Login Create Account
ADVICE
linksyr1
Ill be starting college in a few weeks and i just wanted to know any advice that you guys might have.
Im going all the way up
Aaron0316
The best advice I can give is take it seriously. You'll thank yourself later and avoid many regrets. The first time I went to college, I was overwhelmed with freedom. I only cared about having a good time. If you're the party type, surround yourself with people who take their studies seriously and prefer studying over partying.

Furthermore, distance yourself from people who hold you back in life. It's difficult leaving loved ones and friends behind, but unfortunately everyone's not there for your highest good. Focus on what's good for you and your future. You'll be a happier person later in life.

Do some soul searching (if you already haven't done it) and figure out what you really want to become. I have many passions and interests, but when I first started college, I didn't take the time to narrow down what works financially and what will keep me driven. Therefore, I spent too much time changing majors and wasting money on courses that I didn't need. Choose something and stick with it.

Moreover, don't let your advisers choose your schedule. They are there to inform you which courses are required to satisfy your degree, but it's up to you to decide when you want to take them; unless, a course has a prerequisite which requires you to take certain courses at certain times. I suggest a balance of courses which are required and electives. Therefore, you won't be stuck at the end taking all of the difficult or boring classes. Also, having a balance of courses which are required and which are interesting throughout your college career helps to alleviate burnout. When you obtain your student login information, run a degree audit. It will tell you all of the courses which are required. Then, you can use that as a guide to choose which ones you want to take in the order that works best for you.

In addition, I've taken some courses online while taking others on campus. For example, I don't need to attend math lectures. I've got a decent handle on math. It saves me time by taking the easier courses online. If you're smart enough, you can place out of courses and start with the more challenging ones. That also saves time and money.

You might have to pay for college with student loans. Try not to borrow more than you need. If your school disburses your loan(s) and you get money back, obviously you've borrowed too much. In that case, I would use the extra funds to start paying back the loan. It's much better to start repaying before you graduate. That way, you can pay when and how much you want before the government starts forcing you pay. DO NOT default on a student loan! That causes so much grief later. Unless you can quickly pay off the entire balance of your student loans, you'll have to pay out of pocket when you want to further your education.

They didn't teach effective note taking when I was in high school. If you must attend lectures, take notes. Force yourself to listen if you don't care about the subject. Studies have shown that the students who write notes perform better on tests even if they don't look at them again. I suppose, writing helps people retain information. It certainly helps me. When I am studying, I write what I remember and compare them to what I wrote during the lecture. If I can't remember, I read my notes from the lectures, compare the lecture notes to the chapter, and write another set of notes. Then, I'll start the process over and write what I remember.

Time management is very important. If you're a day dreamer like me, you'll need a strict schedule to keep focused. Create a schedule which balances work, school, and leisure. Now is the best time to kick any bad habits and eliminate distractions. If you like playing video games, study at school away from them. Many people save money by buying or downloading their textbooks. I find that, that creates a distraction. Electronics are distracting (period). What's more important, catching Pokemon or advancing in life? I try my best to study away from the computer. Of course, you'll need the computer to write papers and do research. Stay away from social media, WoW, League of Legends, Candy Crush etc..while studying, and turn off your cellphone. If you've created a strict schedule, you've already set aside time to play.

Furthermore, try not to procrastinate. Even though I've done some of my best work under the pressure of meeting a deadline, most of the time, my projects and papers turn out mediocre if I try to cram in everything at the last minute. Use all the resources your college has to offer. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Take pride in your work. Have integrity, and keep a positive attitude.

Aaron Sickmeier, director of......

Dark Knights - (FAME, original founder)

Marching Elite - (ENCORE! original founder)

Dark Knights Guard

Equilibrium