Login Create Account
Marching Style
JoelKelley
Throughout the marching arts there are numerous styles of marching. Which is your favorite? Which is best? Which is best by technicality? Esthetics? Which did your band/Corps/etc. perform with?
H. Kelley
Black Knights D&BC | Director

Phantom Regiment D&BC '21 Contra
Casper Troopers D&BC '22 Bari | Euph
Stradivarius
I personally really like the toe-down indoor ensemble technique. Easier to clean, looks the same no matter what direction you go in, and its just a whole lot easier to make those damn massive sets. I teach my drumline toe-down. Outdoor I still do roll-step for my brass and woodwind kids since you just can't do toe-down on grass/turf.
12 years later
JoelKelley
I was curious what exactly people's views would be. While I do love Corps step, I think that Big 10 Chair step looks the best and is most Energetic. While high school bands typically don't have the stamina and it doesn't lend itself well to Drum Corps shows it is great for Colleges. My high school adopted Corps Step just into 1990. Before then we did a military high step. Only until 2013 did we start Corps style shows and competitions.
H. Kelley

theamazing1
roll-step, good posture, constantly at attention, eyes on the horizon. Traditional, yet honorable.

Just to touch in on the whole "constantly at attention" thing- I go to Wenatchee High School, the only central Washington state school that fields and competes a band in the fall. We do our rounds, compete in various cities across our state. We have a tradition of discipline- when we are in uniform, we are at attention. That means when going to warm up lots, we are at attention. NO looking around, NO talking to other bands, the only thing you see in those transport lines is the guy's head in front of you. That's all you need to see. This applies at retreat (award ceremonies) as well. We are the only ones at EVERY competition that follows these set of rules. Every other band would try to get us to laugh, attempt to break our rank, and sometimes even touch us in either an annoying or inappropriate manner. And what do we do? We stand at attention. I don't know about bands everywhere else other than Washington, but I know that people need to learn respect. We have respect for other bands, why not show the same for us? Honestly, with some of the things that happens at these competitions, I'm kind of ashamed to be a part of the band community. I'm tired of it.

lol sorry about the tangent- it doesn't even have anything to do with the original post :'). Oh well.
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Golden Goats Marching Band ENCORE BoD
Scorch Color guard
JoelKelley
While true, irrelevant. But that's ok my friend I understand your complaints. However I also believe that some fun is needed. Escpecially because the high school band that I am in, we don't win too often. So the ability to try again next time but also to enjoy and laugh some is the only thing keeping us going: New Prairie Marching Cougars!
H. Kelley

theamazing1
There's a difference between having fun and being completely disrespectful. Granted, we do usually beat the same bands that messes with us at these events. (Imagine that, the band with more discipline gets the most awards)
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Golden Goats Marching Band ENCORE BoD
Scorch Color guard
JoelKelley
Yes and as I said, all your points are valid. However, if we could please get back to the topic at hand which is marching.
H. Kelley

sia98aidil98
There will always be different approaches to music and marching and competition etc. but the important thing is that you believe in it 100% and give your all. When that's done, no matter in what way or method, it will all be worthwhile.

That being said, I like the current Blue Knights marching style with the occasional signature prep step before step offs and straight leg marching. Just my preference.
Re:Sound Collective - 2x D1 Bronze, 1x D2&D3 Champ
Excelsior Winds - 3x D1 Silver, 2x D1 Bronze
Antiphony - 2x D1 Silver, 1x D2 Champ
conNexus - 2x D1 Silver, 1x D1 Bronze
JoelKelley
That how my high school marches. Or we are supposed to anyway. Straight leg Corps step.

Without a prep step though
H. Kelley

JoelKelley
If I ever had my own irl corps we would return to the older style corps shows. (1975-1989)
H. Kelley

JoelKelley
What about stop at the top? Like Wisconsin band and UMich Band?
H. Kelley