Login Create Account
How marching band has evolved
Cordyanza
When my band was formed in 1949, we were a "military" band; that meant no props, and military-like discipline. Our band is still like this: no props, no microphones, no synths, no techs, and certainly no "fun" visuals (such as laying on the ground, etc.) What is your opinion on this style? I see other bands at competition that are so incredibly theatrical... it blows my mind.

Here's a link to our most recent show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLqVKAb7Grc
(We performed @ the Rosebowl Bandfest last month but sadly don't have a recording)
JoelKelley
Well, I believe that in truth, a balance between the two is necessary. While the band should be well trained and precise in technique, the skill and versatility as well as entertainment factor should also be present. In my area, where bands compete for funds from the school, one of our primary focuses is to get people to love us. So we will get funding.
H. Kelley
Black Knights D&BC | Director

Phantom Regiment D&BC '21 Contra
Casper Troopers D&BC '22 Bari | Euph
gcurrier
I actually took a look at your video and your show was more modern than it sounded like it might be based off the description--I mean it had a theme and color changes in the flag--that alone is big for some of those more military style old time bands. saw you in the Rose Bowl too--nice job. Most bands in my area of the country dont have all the things you listed by necessity lol Maine isnt exactly a bursting at the educational budget kind of state and the arts are a "nice to have" for most schools, so in band as an instructor we did the best we could to compete and be entertaining and more like a big budget school but we MADE any props and most of our flags and costumes for the guard. That was a whole new educational piece to design and building most dont get LOL

as far as opinion on the two styles--I think the older one is "harder" to compete and grab audiences with what they get from the bigger productions--so if you beat those other styles, its a huge accomplishment. Big and showy will get a lot more reactions and AWE moments from the crowd which I am ok with because I fall into it as well. I think the big thing here for either style or activity is to stay relevant - people harass DCI for the direction it is growing, but it is growing. It is staying relevant, it is expanding the concept to keep up with modern times. I loved some shows from the late 80s and still some all time favorites (Vanguard 87 Russian Christmas music STILL gets me) but that doesnt mean I cant totally freak out over Bluecoats Downside Up which is such a different direction and feel and almost different activity from that Vanguard show its unreal. you have to love and enjoy what is in front of you for what it is and for waht the kids doing are achieving--thats the most enjoyable thing of any show to me!
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
JoelKelley
1975 Madison Scouts, 1982-87-88 Blue Devils, 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard, 2014 Felliniesque, 2014 Colts, 2014, Blue Stars
H. Kelley
Black Knights D&BC | Director

Phantom Regiment D&BC '21 Contra
Casper Troopers D&BC '22 Bari | Euph