Login Create Account
Mass Messaging
Jrdnhunting
Seriously, do you need to advertise to every one of us for like 10 spots to your random CG competition?

(Imagine this sentence was in caps.) You have free advertising on the schedule board.

It. Is. Annoying.
20DM12
agreed
Carolina's Phantom Inc. (D2)

UNSP:
DC - Carolina's Regiment
DL - The Phantom of Carolina Drumline
CG - Phantom's Crown
MB - Carolina's Regiment of Winds
bando
I don't even know how someone had the time to type alll of those names in. o.o
Founder of the IIEA

Eagle Regiment | Night Area HS Performing Ensembles
BaritoneB1
This is a suggestion?

Anyways, I agree, it is kinda strange. There is an Event Discussion section in the forum.
Jrdnhunting
I have a possible solution...

Save for combines, make the max recipients to one message be 10.

It might be a good idea to make combines an actual THING on the site... For instance, you enter your location, and based on that location, you get a message asking whether or not you would like to join your local combine...That way, the appointed/elected leaders/officers could MM the whole group.
bachstrad2010
I dont even think combine leaders NEED a Mass Messaging system. If the members are checking the forum, there is no reason to go to the trouble of putting in exceptions from the rule. I think 10 would be a reasonable limit.
Indiana Sound - D2 (MidwestUnion)
Corydon Sound - D2
Vis X - D2
Music X Ensemble - D2
bando
Well, I think half of the north-east combine doesn't regularly check the forum. And most major things we talk about are sent out in an informative Private Message. Information voting about new rules, and even about the creation of the eastern combine was done through private messaging. Voting for combine leadership was done through a link sent by a mass-message to the combine. I like mass-messaging, but its not a realistic concept due to start the beginning of FMA spamming.

The way it is right now is fine, and if a limit of 10 people is put on, you just copy and paste your message and select the next ten people you are supposed to send it too. All we can really do to avoid what happened earlier this past week is condemn messages like that, and hope that people get that we don't want to be sent messages like that.
Founder of the IIEA

gmbande94
I think this is mainly being referred to the people who send out a mass messege to advertise a competition its really not needed and shouldn't be allowed because its just wasting space and time.
RWB "It's all for Love L-O-V-E" - Michael Jackson
Blaski45
BaritoneB1 is the only person that makes sense... Yes there is a forum, but no everyone uses it... So I want people to know that I have a competition, so that's what I'm going to do. Take a business class in school and you'll understand why I did all of this. It's took me about 10 minutes to type in all the names. That was the easy part. You just have to calm down... Think about what this forum was started for... And you are all making a HUGE deal out of nothing... I don't think you guys message back every single spam message you get in your email like you are here... so why does it bother you here? Lastly, this is an online fantasy game that shows nothing other than how much time you have used it for, so why is everyone getting so mad?
Colts 2011 - Baritone :: Minnesota Brass 2013 - Bass 4
bando
Because, this is an online game and NOT our e-mail. Spam is annoying to begin with. That is why most e-mail providers have spam folders that automatically detect it and delete it. FMA does not. I'm done with this thread, its only going to start even more problems apparently.
Founder of the IIEA

ashfire
that's what i was going to say. you think i like the spam in my email?
Favorite Composer: Richard Saucedo
Favorite Orchestrated piece: Motion (Brian Balmages)
Favorite Mainstream Piece: FireFlies (Owl City)
daspyda
Why are you guys complaining because you received 2 messages from him? its not like he sent out 100 messages saying everybody join?? it doesn't matter if he sent a message to everybody on the whole website, YOU only received 2 messages. 2! I don't get why you guys had to start a forum discussion to complain about 2 messages you received. If you didn't apply for the competition in the first place you wouldn't have received the 2nd message. So I am sorry that you took a chance along with over 400 groups and didn't get picked.
-Pioneer Drum & Bugle Corps- 2012 Tenors
-Twin Cities Area Independent -2010 bass
-Sun Devils Drum & Bugle Corps 08,09 Bass
gmbande94
Ok not to start and agrument how I mainly saw this is if one person does it it is going to give other people the idea to do it and then it will become a problem. Daspyda i see what your saying about only recieving 2 messeges however I am saying is these 2 messeges can lead to people recieving more spam messeges.
RWB "It's all for Love L-O-V-E" - Michael Jackson
BlueDevils
Yes, and we have no problem with not getting accepted. But I don't even have a colorguard and I recieved both messages. There's no point for it. It's spamming and it reduces our fun on the site.
DC: Blue Demons Corps
Jrdnhunting
The simple fact is that the only advertisement you need and/or deserve to has is the schedule board. There were no instances of spam in the first season and things went great. If you want to be more noticeable and bring more applicants, make your show title in all caps....

People WILL jump on the bandwagon if they see it happening. The exact same thing happened with email spam. 1 person did it, then millions of people do it.

On a side note, I can tell you on behalf of most of us... If we get a message advertising a competition, we wont even look at it. You're better off just letting everyone apply to whatever they want.