Login Create Account
What are your controversial marching arts opinions?
OrwellianWiress
gonna rapid fire this one
- modern dci (2000s+) > classic dci (70s-90s)
- played synth in marching band, so obviously i love synth and people need to stop hating on its inclusion. i worked just as hard as the rest of pit, and had just as big of an impact on the show
- i <3 artsy show themes
- i'm a big fangirl of shows with big/impressive props
- "gimmick shows" (spartacus, downside up, tilt) are my jam
- blue devils 2011 is my favorite bd show
- house is not a home is a beautiful song and should be a national anthem or something
- i don't care if woodwinds get into dci or not because sax parts in high school band SLAP
- i really liked jagged line
- i love voices/narration (like bluecoats and blue devils have this year)
Public enemy number one of DCI boomers everywhere.
gcurrier
I'm probably one of the old farts that actually don't agree with a lot of old fart drum corps people about "real drum corps"... real drum corps is what it is AT THE TIME... nothing stays the same so why do we always think drum corps should stay in the dark ages? I see some things done in the 80s and 90s as amazing to advance the activity. Do I think much of it could stand against a modern show? No chance...

So to play along

gonna rapid fire this one
- modern dci (2000s+) > classic dci (70s-90s)...agreed that it's only gotten better with time...
- played synth in marching band, so obviously i love synth and people need to stop hating on its inclusion. i worked just as hard as the rest of pit, and had just as big of an impact on the show...I was in a "traditional Percussion" but I agree the hate needs to stop. It adds so much to the shows BUT THAT SAID, corps and hosts need to be more prepared for electronics and issues that can come with that at a live performance
- i <3 artsy show themes...agreed!
- i'm a big fangirl of shows with big/impressive props...also agree, adds to the show WHEN US3D RIGHT.. Pacific Crest so far in my opinion doesn't use the props enough to advance their theme...
- "gimmick shows" (spartacus, downside up, tilt) are my jam.... again agreed.. the Epic tales will continue to be the best of drum corps for years to come...adding Faust, Wicked Ganes, Crown nearly ever year...
- blue devils 2011 is my favorite bd show...honestly not typical a BD fan though I give their guard and brass a ton of credit.. I would say my favorite top 3 are 88 for old school, 94 My Spanish Heart (holy crap that show) and even though I didn't pick it to win 17 Metamorph had some crazy good moments
- house is not a home is a beautiful song and should be a national anthem or something
- i don't care if woodwinds get into dci or not because sax parts in high school band SLAP....I love BOA as well so I do separate a bit here to continue to differentiate the two organizations....i think it should be limited
- i really liked jagged line...agreed
- i love voices/narration (like bluecoats and blue devils have this year)...if done right and not over utilized! I worry based on some WGI shows mostly that it could go too far, but so long as it adds to the show and still showcase the performers, I'm fine with it (add singing as well)

My thoughts!
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
theamazing1
Carolina Crown, although formerly one of if not my favorite corps, had one of the worst shows this past season.
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Golden Goats Marching Band ENCORE BoD
Scorch Color guard
mceuph
It's funny because I am normally not a fan of Crown but loved their show this past season lol.
Continuum (Resigned)
Infinity
JMike18
I think it's hilarious that I tend to like the 7th - 12th placing Shows more than the top 6
Director of:
- Lumberton HS MRB
- Lumberton HS World Guard
- Lumberton HS Winterline
- Spirit of the Raiders
lemon
I quite liked the Academy's show this year, but I am a little biased
Lemony fresh!
Imriy
I'll say it, costumes in marching shows are dumb unless done well. I miss the old DCI uniforms, they always looked so cool each year with their variations. While costumes can be cool (my band this year is doing costumes) i feel they've been overutilized these past few years, especially with the bluecoats.
Imriy
Founder of The Steelmen Drum and Bugle Corps
Founder of The Steelmen Indoor Percussion Ensemble
Tuba player
For Holy Name Shall Always Be