Login Create Account
Season 110 Feng Fanletter!
Dreems2
Good Afternoon all! Seeing as it can be tough to commentate on every large competition every day, I have decided to focus a bit more on Si Feng! Of course, I'm gonna do my best to not give up on commentating, especially during finals week and the occasional weekend recap, however! Every season, on the first day of each new competitive week, a new edition of the "Feng Fanletter" will be released! Si Feng is excited to bring you the latest news, interviews, and insider information regarding the corps during its season 110 tour!

So, without any further adieu, let us get into this week's Feng Fanletter!

Si Feng started off Week 1 performing on the 18th at the Sunset Marching Fest, scoring a 75.590. They claimed the D1 & Overall silver medal, coming behind first-place Synecdoche. Si Feng was awarded the caption award for Outstanding Visual Effect. The directors and leaders in the program were incredibly proud of how well the group's visuals were performed, and we were lucky to be able to interview one of Si Feng's visual soloists and trumpet player; Lanzhu Peizhi to get more of an insight on their Visual performance on that night.

"What was the best part of your performance tonight?"

"I think objectively the best part of our performance is how well we really sunk ourselves into the characters we're meant to portray. It's so fun because of just how much there is to each character we're given, everyone has a backstory, a life that they lived that's now being portrayed in the show. I mean, it's just so fun to be able to play these characters from a completely different planet to our own, the Na'vi are such cool characters and it's truly just so much fun to be able to play them."

"Was there anything you could've improved on? Done better this show?"

"Oh absolutely, even at finals we're gonna find one or two things we didn't like. Or at least, I didn't like about my performance, overall though, for a group with such a large amount of first-year marchers, this was a phenomenal performance, and I could not be more proud of them."

"What's your favorite part of the show?"

"Oh jeez, this is probably my favorite show of Si Feng period. It's such a cool show and an awesome tribute to Avatar (the movie). So just about every part of the show is my favorite, but I love the introduction, the bass drum hit into the singing is just so cool, it gives me chills every time so... Probably that part, even if I'm not a part of it."

Si Feng went on to perform at four more events the rest of week 1, The Meadowbrook Invitational, Nowhere Marching Festival, Southern Invitational and the Red Thunder Marching Band Event. Si Feng was able to improve their score to 79.240, looking to possibly break an 80 by the second day of week two. Si Feng currently sits comfortably in 8th place in the Drum Corps rankings but is looking to be competitive and try and break top seven by the end of the season. All members are incredibly optimistic and excited for this season, and cannot wait to continue their performance of "Flight Of Passage".

Si Feng will next perform at the Northern Showdown: DBC Edition! on the 26th of January, we cannot wait to see you there! And we are excited to hear your suggestions, feedback, and questions for members of Si Feng! Submit your questions and we'll do our best to ask some members your questions! Thanks for reading, and we'll see you next week on the Feng Fanletter!
Dreems- Director of:
-(HOPE) Lake Orion High School Marching Band
-(ROYAL) LOHS Winter Percussion
-(INS) Metamorphosis Color Guard
-(DCL) Si Feng Drum & Bugle Corps
JMike18
I love this!!!
Director of:
- Lumberton HS MRB
- Lumberton HS World Guard
- Lumberton HS Winterline
- Spirit of the Raiders
Dreems2
Good afternoon Feng Family! Welcome back to our season 110 Feng Fanletter! We'll cut right to the chase and get right into week two!

Si Feng began this week at the Northern Showdown: DBC Edition! On the 26th of January, the corps was able to break their goal of achieving an 80, breaking that number and pushing a bit further past, the corps able to perform at a very high level, achieving fifth place with a score of 80.325. It was easily the best performance the corps had put on thus far, able to place fourth overall in music effect, fourth in visual effect and, fifth in general effect! Before their performance, Si Feng members were allowed to view different corps rehearsing, it seems that so far this season, Si Feng chose to show their two favorite shows by flocking to their rehearsal areas, those corps that entertained the membership was none other than: Golden Shock DBC and Central Symphony. Members cheered on each corps as they rehearsed, before being recalled to their own staging area to warm up.

On the 30th, Si Feng did not have a performance, however, the directors High School Group - The Lake Orion Dragon Marching Band, had a performance at the Southeastern Invitational. Si Feng came to cheer on not only Lake Orion, but every other group performing that night as well. Lake Orion put on a fantastic show, scoring a 82.415 and placing in 1st place! Receiving the gold medal that night as well as the caption awards for: Outstanding Music Effect, Outstanding Visual Effect AND Outstanding General Effect. The group was able to win all three caption awards, as well as the achieving the highest scoring Brass, Percussion and Color Guard awards!

This, however, does not end Si Feng's affiliation with Lake Orion this season! As on the 31st, Si Feng performed for the last time that week at the 23rd Cavalcade of Brass in Buchanan, Michigan. Si Feng will be housing at Lake Orion High School after seeing it's previous usage as housing by Drum Corps International group Phantom Regiment in 2019.

We were able to interview one of the members of Si Feng regarding the Southeastern Invitational they attended, where they watched the LOMB and other prestigious FMA Marching Bands. Here is what Honoka Nekoya, a Si Feng first year member and Baritone player from Jinbōchō Tokyo, Japan had to say:

"It was really cool being able to see all these high school shows, it really amazes me just how talented these kids are. I mean, some of these shows I would expect to see from a drum corps, not a high school. It really is just the coolest thing to be able to see these shows."

"Did you march in high school? Were you in a competitive band?"

"No, not really, we had a few parades where we'd get in uniforms and walk in time with each other, but we never had shows or competition or anything, not at Otonokizaka, anyway. We weren't quite like Kyoto Tachibana. So doing something like what we do at Si Feng is a new experience to me. Albeit, well worth it."

"Do you wish you would have marched competitively in High School?"

"Oh absolutely! I wish I could go back and do this kind of stuff because man, just how cool it is. I think it would have prepared me from Drum Corps, and I may have even started marching Drum Corps earlier, maybe while in High School, I'm not sure."

"Any other thoughts or feelings you'd like to share?"

"Just a few! I want to encourage all those who want to march, to march. I mean seriously, we can only do this for so long and it's such a fun thing, so best to start as early as possible and just have fun with it. Oh, and of course- Join Si Feng! You won't regret it! I would argue we have probably the most internationally diverse group of people here, it's the coolest thing, it really is!"

Si Feng ended the week on the 31st of January with a performance at 5:54PM and scoring an 83.055, placing 2nd place at the 23rd Cavalcade of Brass in Buchanan, Michigan. The corps is currently on pace to smash last seasons highest score, as the corps continues to score higher and higher. Si Feng performed incredibly well, placing third in music performance, second in visual performance and third in general effect.

This week we were able to catch up with Qiaolian Fang, who is marching their sixth and final year at Si Feng. Qiaolian currently holds the record of most consecutive years marched at Si Feng as well as being the youngest member to march Si Feng, having began their career marching Si Feng at just fifteen years old. Qiaolian is now 21, and ages out this year. We caught up with them to gather their thoughts on this emotional final season.

"Why Si Feng? Why not DCJ, DCI, or perhaps a group like Petaling Jaya?"

"I mean it's the same answer as everyone else, right? They're close to home and I love their shows. Naturally, that kinda just brings me here."

"How did you learn about Si Feng?"

"My older sister (Mae Fang) actually marched their inaugural season in 101, as well as 102. So naturally after watching her I thought it was the coolest thing and I wanted to be a part of it."

"Was season 104 your first year auditioning?"

"I actually began auditioning in season 103, I was fourteen at the time, but I really had no experience in visual whatsoever. So my music was all that carried me through the audition. I remember kinda vividly the brass caption head at the time ended up asking me to perform alongside some upcoming age-outs and vets, I was nailing everything they asked me to play. But I was pretty small as a fourteen year old, I definitely did not have the stamina or balance to hold a contra for a 10-12 minute show. So I ended up not making it, but they formally invited me back for the next year. During that year I grew, got some help from my sister and I joined an exhibition drum corps which performs nearby. With what I learned, I auditioned in 104, and shockingly, I made it. That year was the corps second ever win, but first ever clean sweep of every competition. Every single competition we went to, we won. It was kinda crazy, and that was the year I learned about the word 'Complacency'."

"What's been your favorite show? Anything that really sticks out to you?"

"I'm honestly not the biggest fan of anime. Sure, I'll watch it if it's on maybe, but I never cared for it. However, my first year (104) was probably my favorite. µ'sic! was honestly one of the most fun things to perform. It was very dance heavy, and I'll admit, as a fifteen year old, when you first hear that you're gonna dance like idols, you will cringe. But doing those dances and marching that show was by far one of the most fun things I've done. Last season also stuck out to me, I loved the emotion behind it and the story that it told was gorgeous."

"How come you stuck with Si Feng and didn't try anywhere else?"

"I think it's the family I made here, as well as the sense of pride. I mean, despite the fact I'm the only one in this group who marched in both D2 and D1 with Si Feng, this is my home. My family. I could never leave them and join another one. You Know?"

"If you had the chance to suggest a show, what would you suggest?"

"Oh gosh, I always think about this but never know what to be honest. I think a pirate show would be cool"

"Any final thoughts? Would you come back as a tech, or do you have anything else planned for the future?"

"Well, I would like to continue my career at Hunan University. I play soccer in the fall for the university so I'd like to develop more as a soccer player. I think it would be really cool to make it professionally. But of course, I think it would be super fun to be a tech anywhere, really. I think being a tech at Si Feng would be super cool, but I've also wanted to start a marching band at the university. So maybe I could be at the forefront of that. I'm a double major, Education and Biology with a focus in Virology. I really don't know what I'm gonna do yet, but I'm excited to see where the future takes me."

Qiaolian expressed their sadness about leaving the corps this season, stating that if they could do it forever, they would. However, that concludes our interview with Qiaolian as well as our weekly Feng Fanletter. Please feel free to send in any questions for our members or staff, leave us a comment, or otherwise! We'd love to answer your questions.Thank you for tuning in and we're excited to see you next week!
Dreems- Director of:
Dreems2
Welcome back to the third edition of the weekly Feng Fanletter! This week we shall start off with a dive into Si Feng's retained staff list. Si Feng released their retained staff list over the past few weeks, and shockingly recorded a record low of new staff turnover. Near the entirety of Si Feng's staff stayed aboard with the program for another season. We decided to gather some of the staffs thoughts about why so many decided to stay for another season.

Hyeon-Ju Choe - "Despite the fact it's quite a flight for me every season, I can't not come back. China, more specifically Si Feng is like a second home to me, and when you have a home, you always want to return, right?"

Rin Pana - "The camaraderie and sense of community within the corps is truly special, and the opportunities for growth and self-expression through music and performance are unmatched. Plus, the students themselves are a constant source of inspiration. Their dedication and passion for the art are truly inspiring."

Gan Yu - "The pageantry here is unmatched. Really. There's something about this group that just... Exceeds every expectation set by them, other groups meet expectations, and I think that's what I love about them. They want to exceed, not meet expectations."

Yaling Luo - "I like Si Feng trumpets. No one else, just Si Feng trumpets. That's all."

Si Feng hosted their home show in Helong Sports Center; the Sandstone Column Parade, on sunday, February 5th. The competition was a massive success thanks to the near 3,300 fans in attendance, as well as everyone who helped behind the scenes. A total of 30 groups attended, with 24 being in division one. A record amount of division one groups for the competition. Si Feng placed sixth overall with an 85.575, and scoring sixth place in Music Effect, seventh in Visual Effect, and seventh in General Effect. The first place Wulingyuan trophy was handed to the Continuum Drum Majors. Continuum placed first with an exact 95.000, as well as taking all three caption awards.

Alongside the regular caption awards, Si Feng annually awards three unique trophies to their competition; the Glass Trophy, awarded to the corps that shows the most dedication to artistic performance and showmanship, the Five Fingers Peak of Huangshizhai Trophy, awarded to the corps which wins the "fan favorite" vote, and the Tianqiashengkong trophy, awarded to the corps which is hailed as a visionary of future, coming up with new and unique ideas that will further the development of the FMA circuit, and Drum Corps as a whole.

The Glass Trophy was awarded to - The Spirit of Bucktown Drum and Bugle Corps!

The Five Fingers Peak of Huangshizhai Trophy was awarded to - The Spirit Of The Raiders! "A Lumberjack's Tale"

The Tianqiashengkong Trophy was awarded to - Golden Shock Drum and Bugle Corps!

The Sandstone Column Parade was a massive success, and is looking forward towards an even more successful season 111 hosting of the competition! Speaking of competitions, however, Si Feng ended their week on February 7th at the "Panther Sound Invitational XXI - Doak Campbel". Si Feng scored a 86.820 and placed 7th overall. Si Feng placed 7th overall in Music Effect, 7th in Visual Effect, and 7th in General Effect. Si Feng is still on track to break their previous highest score of all time; S109 finals - "Affection" with a 92.800

While we don't have any interviews this week, we want YOUR questions submitted to us! We currently have a limited number of performers who are willing to answer YOUR questions! Some members include -
Jonathan Yocahm, Yuki Nakao, Qiaolian Fang and Io Hoshizora. Of course, more members may introduce themselves into the pool, so we'd all love to hear your questions, Feng Fans!

However, sadly, we must conclude this weeks Feng Fanletter. We look forward to all of your questions and cannot wait to see you next week in the next installment of the Feng Fanletter!
Dreems- Director of: