Login Create Account
FMADC News Review -- Sound Around 9/6/2010
Olmstead90
Howdy! This is Douglas Orbsorn, executive director of the Div. III Druids Drum & Bugle Corps, and the newest member of the FMADC News Review commentator's team. I'll be giving you the highlights of the night, as I am here at the Sound Around competition for corps! There's a fairly large crowd here tonight-- nearly five hundred men, women, and children who have come to hear beginning corps play for judges and fans alike.

Starting with Division III, let's take a look at tonight's champion Rhapsody DBC. Rhapsody stole the show for Div III tonight by nearly an entire 4.5 points. Their show, "Meltdown", featuring the music from "Dr. Atomic Symphony" by John Adams uses crunchy, almost unmetered chords which bring to life the feeling of chaos. Their skill has put them at 6th in the national Rankings, and based on tonight's gold medal-winning performance, I am sure they will hold a mid-top position all the way to Finals night.

Another corps whom show I was rather impressed with was the fairly new corps Forte', who had their third show ever tonight. Their 4th place finish was a moot point-- their show "The Music of Karl Jenkins" was a new experience for drum corps audiences anywhere. The Welsh composer whom the show is dedicated to has created some of the most relaxing mood music to come from that side of the Isles... and I should know : P The corps brought the relaxing feel across very well, which is quite different for a drum corps-type show. While the thought was there, the technicalities and skills of the corps could use some work to bring their scores up.

Finally, in Div II we see The Knights taking first, with their show "Epic!", most notably featuring one of my personal favorite pieces, "Requiem" by Verdi. While the visual performance wasn't as up to par as the music, I was none the less impressed by the corps' ability to drag us one way and the other mood wise.

Like Rhapsody, The Knights lead the way with a first place finish, nearly 4.5 points ahead of their competition. New corps maybe, but their attention to detail and skill is not going unnoticed by the FMA Judging community.

Also notable is the point gaps in other slots. 3 between 2nd and 3rd, 6 between 3rd and 4th! We've got corps here tonight from all ends of the talent/Raking spectrum.

Alright, lastly I'll recap the scores. I'll see you next time, folks.

Div II. Score Place

The Knights 62.860 1st place
White Cross Regiment 57.250 2nd place
Joe's Express 54.830 3rd place
SWI Phantoms 48.360 4th place

Div. III

Rhapsody 59.670 1st place
Spirit 54.830 2nd place
Rattlers 54.565 3rd place
Forte' 48.435 4th place
Fusion 46.600 5th place
Tennessee Statesmen 46.420 6th place
Douglas Olmstead, Druids Drum & Bugle Corps Executive Director
bando
This was a nice recap of Division III and Division II! Nice Job!
Founder of the IIEA

Eagle Regiment | Night Area HS Performing Ensembles
bkelly1281
agreed. very nice. cant wait to start seeing my group being in these reports lol.
katkatastrophe
I wish Infinity would get their act together and actually win something this season so you could report about them!
Proud Director Of

Infinity Sound Drum and Bugle Corps (D2)
Infinity Winterguard (D2)
Storm Indoor Drumline (D2)
Westwood Academy Marching Band (D2)

Olmstead90
: P I'll do more of an in-depth report on more corps than just the winning ones.

I tried that with this one, I just didn't have too much time last night to dedicate to it.

Hope this was an alright first review though.
VincentPezza
Alright? You did an awesome job!
Director to:

Modern Antic
Odoriboro Blaze
Jester Fester
Sinisteria

Member of the CLASS
Olmstead90
Well, thank you, Pezza : )