Login Create Account
Marching Band Combine system, set up a bit differently.
bando
So, I figured now that the combines have gone through a season, and we have seen the amazing things they do for groups plus I've seen pretty much first hand how they work, and what is involved with running them, I have a suggestion for Marching Band.

Instead of completely confined combines (specific states much be involved with certain combines), I suggest just a group of different sub-circuits that have a general area, and have different rules. Isn't that what the combines are, you might ask? Sure, however, this system allows more than one circuit to take members from each state.

Also, like the combines, each can have their own set of rules, but in this system, rules can be more strict and requirements can be higher.

----

Example:

Bands of France competition circuit requires you must have a group in France, and have an influence of over 3000.

However, United Bands of the French requires you must be in France or a neighboring country, doesn't care about your influence.

And lastly, Bands of British War Against France requires you to be non-French, and cannot compete in French Competitions (Ridiculous example, but you get the point)

Because these can be so specific, they add a new level to the game. Not only must you rehearse your groups, but you have to maintain the influence growth requirement of Tournament of X, or the Tier Y sized competition requirement of National Band Candy League. I know some combines do something like this already, but the current Drum corps combine system doesn't give many options as far as which combine can I join without moving my group to a different state.

----

Here is a legit example of what I'm talking about:
Example 1

North-West Bands United will accept any group around north-west United States with these conditions:
- Applying group must have an influence of at least 1,500 and must gain at least 100 influence per season.
- Current members can accept non circuit groups, but only after accepting 75% circuit groups.
- Current members must check the forum at least once a week and post
- Current members must add the tag {NWBU} to their competition title, if not there, group must wait another season before applying
-Current members must give the schedule committee competition information for the next season by Week 4 (If hosting in Weeks 4 and 5, you must send information 3 days within your competition unless notice is given of possible lateness)

Example 2
Bands of the West B will accept any group in western united states
-Applying groups can have up to 2000 influence (Once above, the next season will be moved to BOTWA)
-Current members should host a tier 1 or 2 competition (if higher that would be great!)
-Members should accept any BOTWB group, and one BOTWA group.
-Messages about circuit deadlines will be sent weekly, so check your messages often!
-Member should be in their first or second season of FMA.

As you can see, example one is for a more select group of members. Example 2 is run by a parent circuit, and is designed specifically for rookies and newer members. Both have requirements, but one is much stricter than the other.

---

Suggestions:
1. Have a Board of Directors for your circuit. It helps, believe me.
2. Split your circuit up into smaller districts if you have a larger one. It will make things more competitive in each.
3. Have a group that can host a large scale competition for a championships festival. It doesn't have to be a group made for that purpose, but a member who has enough money to host one that size.
4. Clearly define what you want to see the requirements as in the opening post. Its easier to slim them down later if you find limited response.
5. If there is already a circuit in the area you want to create one for, and it has similar requirements, don't start a new one. It will just bog down everything.
6. Once a few are created, create an overall board of directors to review new circuits and see if it would be better for them to merge with another one.
7. When scheduling, try to have everyone post competition information before preseason, and have circuit members send messages to apply. After this, have each director post the lists so it can be checked to see if groups can be moved around to make acceptance more even.
8. If you find your circuit is large enough, try to make a circuit under yours specifically for people in their first season of FMA. It will give some experience with how the circuit works, but its has much more realistic requirements for them.

---

Obviously, this is more towards getting these ready for season 4 or 5, but I'd like to get some feedback from the other marching band groups. Also, this is just a suggestion, more discussion should happen before any of these circuits are created. Also, the term circuit is just what I used here, just like the Combines, the name of the systems can be changed to something else. Obviously not combines, as that would get confusing, but you get the point.

I just spent more than a half hour on this post. O.o
Founder of the IIEA

Eagle Regiment | Night Area HS Performing Ensembles
cire
That's a lot of reading..

but why not set those rules yourself. If you want to limit those who join your combine (rules) then do it.

I think there should be a separate/hidden forum for each combine but everything you listed that I saw pretty much is pointless or not possible or realistic to actually integrate/code directly into the game, especially counting for every variation possible.

I've seen some combines that make their own separate website, this would probably be the best place for each group to try to manage what you are talking about.

I get the point of the combines (at least the original one) and that was give all of the groups involved a chance to participate together and get into shows; regardless of their division and influence.

What you are proposing (I might be wrong?) sounds like you are wanting to limit this even more and create "power combines" that each group can limit and control in a very oppressive way. I doubt anyone would want to join if you tell them... ok you be part a part of this only if you do this, this, this, this, this, this, and this.. but if do this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, or this... gtfo out.

If you run your own combine..then do whatever it is you want with it.. if you want a BOD, or anything else you listed.. by all means... do it.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
ChrisRohn
It's the G7 of FMA!

Detroit Parks & Recreation Department
bando
This was just a random idea I had.

First, I wouldn't suggest this being integrated into the game, that like you said wouldn't work.

I'm not saying there should be power combines, after one is set up, the current leader of that circuit would join the overall board of directors. Not just a select group of circuits in power, I didn't mean that.

I was the one who created the NEC website/ECC website so, yes, I like that idea. :)

The whole cannot do french competitions was a joke between how much France and Britain has been to war in history, sorry if it confused you. I am not saying that anyone should be kicked out for joining a non-circuit competition.
Founder of the IIEA

cire
Just sounds like a lot of rules and limitations.. if you want to do it, do it within your own combine.. but saying all of the X combines should be done in a certain way probably isn't a good thing
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
bando
This is only my opinion, so anyone can use it as they wish. I was trying to think of how there are more than one circuit per area in real life, and thought it'd be cool to do with the marching band combines here. On the rules issue, a few of the combines already have rules in place. GCC and ECC both have some rules about accepting combine members and hosting events, so its not much different is it? I was just suggesting that if there are more than just regional combines, and some that overlap, it would give more choices, and also allow combine rules to be more specific. If you do that with the Drum Corps Combines, it doesn't work as well because people have no other option without changing their drum corps hometown ans such.
Founder of the IIEA

Apotheosis
I'm afraid I still, after all this time, don't fully understand the point of regional combines or circuits. If a group of friends get together and join each other's competitions to help each other out, that's great. But what does geography really have to do with it?
My real name is Sam...
jrhnemo
I love this idea, but I can imagine things getting confusing with a ton of combines.
bando
@ Apotheosis
It started to replicate actual tours and such. After, it evolved into more of a marching band localized circuit deal.

@Jrhnemo That is one downside to this system. Eventually it would be useful to make one stickied topic explaining all of them and their rules. This could also be useful if done with the current Drum Corps combines.
Founder of the IIEA

mellohero
I am just going to say that I would join a Midwest band combine. That is all.